PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article from the haca site.

rogue
11-08-2000, 12:56 AM
http://www.thehaca.com/essays/influence.htm

I used to be daga

Black Jack
11-08-2000, 02:50 AM
Dude are you like psyche or something...go check out my post in the main kungfu section...talk about weird!

HACA rules!!!!!!

Regards

rogue
11-08-2000, 04:34 PM
That's a great site. I've been pointing people to it for a while now, especially when we have discussions on bladed weapons or ancient warfare.
It brings a slightly different view to what we love to talk about.

I used to be daga

Black Jack
11-08-2000, 07:00 PM
I find it funny though that when we bring up such a great site and such a great subject as Western Martial arts history and the amazing connections that one can find between both cultures in terms of unarmed and armed combat development that hardly anyone here wants to talk about a such a great subject.

I am starting to find many people on this site that are very baised and close minded on other cultures besides those that are not CMA based.

Martial arts does not live and die in the bushy white eyebrows of a chinese grandmaster. If its not asian and has butterfly palms and temple lineage than in there closed eyes it must not be a real martial art....a typical myth that keeps going around and around and around.

I would place my bets that the European unarmed combat systems were just as advanced in its day before it became replaced by the more modern and efective methods of armed combat.

Regards

Kung Lek
11-08-2000, 10:22 PM
I agree, but western pugilism and general martial arts were not practiced by "regular" folk like asian martial arts were.

western ma were usually reserved for the nobility or Soldiers and the general masses may have had only minimal exposure to any of it.

On the other side, Asian martial arts have been embraced and practiced by the common man for a very very long time.

This does not discount western martial arts at all, it merely points to the fact that many of them have been lost in the mists of time.

peace

Kung Lek

rogue
11-08-2000, 11:50 PM
I don't know KL, were Asian MA really practiced by the regular folks? Heck, have any serious MAs been practiced by any regular folks? I think a serious martial artist of any style any nation is not a regular person. When would they train to achieve mastery? The Samurai were not regular people. The Shaolin monks were not regular people. The fellows that came up with Ba Gua are supposed to have been body guards.

I used to be daga