PDA

View Full Version : your typical class routine

still_learning
05-31-2007, 04:04 AM
Hi All,

I am sorting vague lesson plans and dont want things in the class to get 'stale'. i wondered if anyone would post a typical lesson they do that i might be able to get some ideas from.

i might normally do a warm up followed by basic stances/punches/kicking techniques.

Then on to some more advanced hand and leg movements or combinations used for fighting.

maybe focus on one form or its application then some pad work in pairs and conditioning (sit ups press ups etc) and either sparring or grading syllabus to finish.

any other ideas greatly appreciated!

thanks

TenTigers
05-31-2007, 07:12 AM
I have a notebook that I keep on the floor, for lesson plans. It is divided into sections for kids, teens/adults, advanced, and intro classes.
There are about ten lesson plans for each-about five for intros-depending on the person who is coming in, I will emphasize different aspects of the training.
Each lesson plan begins the same way:
Bow In:
Line up, Bai-san, bai-si,meditation,student creed,
Warm-Up
30-30 and 30 (thirty situps,thirty partner legraises,thirty pushups-20 for kids)
shuffling around cones,then runs, then jog,
wind sprints, or bear crawls
then stance changes,jumping jacks, mountain climbers.
Upper Body workout
This would be various punching drills-whether in fighting stance,or horse,possibly adding shuffles, pads,
Upper Body Stretch
Lower Body workout
This is light kicking,some pads-warming up the legs for stretches
Lower Body Stretch
More intense drills,pads, sheilds,combinations, etc
Reaction Drills,
Material,
FINAL PUMP-this gets the intensity back up before closing class-always close with a high energy, pumped up, routine-you want the students bowing out and going home thinking,"That was awesome!"

The classes have ZERO DOWN TIME-there are no real breaks from one thing to another-lesson plans ensure this
You would be surprised how much you can pack into an hour,hour and a half class.
The stretching is done THROUGHOUT THE CLASS-
this way, the energy remains high. There is nothing worse than getting a class pumped up, and then saying,"Ok, let's have a seat..." your class dies. Trying to get that intensity level back is hard.
The class is also set up as High Intensity Interval Training-meaning the intensity level climbs and then levels off, then climbs again, in a series of intervals.

Find "Power Lines"-these are drills where you line the class up and have them do some sort of pad drills, or techniques accross the floor. They are high energy,slightly competitive,develop morale,teamwork, comraderie,and are fun.
They can be used any time you feel the need to pump up your class,or atthe end of class.
An example -Kicking shield drills such as shuffle kicks (side,front,etc) into the sheild,across the floor, and five fast ones at the end, then back using the other leg-this has the pad holder acting as a coach,giving feedback, encouragement,etc.
We like to do this in two lines sort of like two teams for relay races-even though we say it is not a race, there is an implied sense of competition, and it pushes the students to excell.

TenTigers
05-31-2007, 07:23 AM
some "Topics" for lesson plans
Conditioning-these are "Iron Body Skills" such as saam Jien (sanchin),body contact drills, leg kicks, body kicks, gauntlet, etc,sam sing, saamjien sparring-hard contact-bare knuckle-(only if this is what you normally do-and there is a process to getting a student there)

Pad drills-all different variations of pad drills,

trapping,sensitivity,hands on reaction drills,

Kicks from H3LL-all sorts of kicks and combinations

ground and pound-everything, whether it is a kicking,punching,escape,whatever, always ends in a take down and mount-

We usually have these in every class, but also have classes that are theme oriented-meaning there is a focus on this.

still_learning
05-31-2007, 07:56 AM
Thanks for that - some really useful info there and i appreciate you taking the time to post it!