PDA

View Full Version : JKD is quite limitless isnt it? (A defense)

Kong Jianshen
10-22-2000, 08:57 PM
I am here to defend JKD! Yes I belive this is quite the effective art(OR way of thinking)!

We stress practablity, logic, economy of motion and "whatever works is what we use" attitude and people dare call it "limited"? I belive JKD is a great way of realistic fighting.

The simple fencer's lunge is a nice example of no telegraphing, making it harder to move from or defend against. Plus, alot of boxing's most powerful punches combined with economy of motion, w/c structure (elbows in, etc) AND low line kicks? We make quite the fearsome adversaries I will say. Not to mention we are champs at adapting, which is key to survival.

The beauty of JKD is one which teaches you to use YOUR best strengths and not someone elses. To keep expanding, and never let the constant flow of growth stop. When we stop growing, we stop progressing. It is a LIMITLESS art of fighting,
without fighting

So to all the JKD's out there, hoorah to you! Keep up the good work! And dont let people of other arts try to get you down by saying our way is useless and not pratical. Show them WHY it is! With a backfist to the nose!

ALways seeking to learn,
Kong Jianshen
Humble disciple of the ancient Boxing Arts

rogue
10-23-2000, 12:42 AM
A fencers lunge for empty hand??? /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I used to be daga

Kong Jianshen
10-23-2000, 04:00 AM
Yes, I would describe how it works but its pretty simple. Most JKD peeps should be familiar with it. It makes it so that you have 0% telegraph IF done right. Weapons still play a large part in unarmed combat. Hsing-I's footwork is supposidly derived from the spear. Alot of Kali can be applied without a stick. Dont let weapons full you, they have many other uses then the obvious.

ALways seeking to learn,
Kong Jianshen

rogue
10-23-2000, 04:23 AM
Kong, I've taken JKD, I know the move, and it's a very stupid move to do in a fight. From what I understand the lunge is used by sport fencers, not duelist who even when tagged may counter with deadly effect. It's an all or nothing move that leaves you over-extended and open to arm drags, hook and drags of the front foot(better practice your splits) and a plain old side kick. I'm surprised it's still being taught.

I used to be daga

Black Jack
10-23-2000, 05:32 AM
My schools never taught the lunge...I would never try a move that would leave you so open.

Regards

David
10-24-2000, 12:14 PM
Nice defense, KJ. That's the way to sell the idea.

But, is JKD kungfu? Has anyone who now does JKD ever completed a kungfu style first and then decided it wasn't enough? Or completed any style?

(I mean completed as in "black-belt" and further, for the sake of discussion.)

Master Po
10-24-2000, 03:36 PM
David,

Maybe you should define EXACTLY what kung fu is and then I'll try to answer your question.

GinSueDog
10-24-2000, 06:20 PM
The lunge itself is not taught, at least not at any of the three JKD schools I trained at in the past, including both Concepts and Jun Fan, it is the ideas behind the lunge and many of the other fencing concepts that are taught. Some of the ideas taken from fencing are power side forward, non-telegraphic strikes, half-beat attack to name a few. As for the lunge, it was developed and incorporated into the art of fencing by the Italian masters in the late to early 16th and 17th century spelling the end of the heavy rapier and the developement by the french of the smallsword by the 18th century which is the early ancestor of the foil and epee. It was the lunge and the light weight of the weapon that made a more complex and defensive style possible. The main difference between sport fencing now and the classical fencing of the pass is the weapon used and the fact that because the modern fencer has 15 lives to play with it has more technical and tactical depth to it. Fencing itself was never a battlefield art, but was used by civilians to settle deputes in duels to the death all the way to the mid 19th century and finally faded away after the first world war. BTW, duel are still fought in rare cases especially in Italy and Germany. I hope this information helps.-ED

"The grappling arts imply most fights end up on the ground...take them there. The striking arts imply all fights start standing up...keep them there. The mixed martial arts imply any fight can go anywhere...be ready and able to go everywhere."-a mix martial artist

Kong Jianshen
10-24-2000, 10:11 PM
Thanks Dave. I like to think that Jun Fan itself is a form of kung fu. At first it was supposed to be an art. It bares great resembalance to wing chun and has many styles in it chinese and not. JKD Concepts however is a diff. ballgame altogether. Students from this school of thought crosstrain and make up thier own personal JKD. I dont think either way of looking at it is wrong. Btw, thanks for the great info Gin Sue. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Always seeking to learn,
Kong Jianshen

David
10-25-2000, 11:55 AM
For the sake of discussion, what I meant by "kung fu" is Chinese martial-arts styles.

In case you didn't all know!

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey