PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Three section staff

Ray Pina
06-04-2007, 08:20 AM
I just now realise the beatury of the three-sectional staff... folded up, it aint such a big thing to carry. Hell, where I am now, where people carry machettes, cows graze.... three sticks aint nothing. But unfolded! And mine are pretty heavy. Got them when I was 8 and inlove with them after seeing them on Kung Fu theater... trechnically Sat. morning Drive In theather. Got them for Christmas with a book but never had room to learn it. Then forgot about it. Then tride trading it for everything I'd be interested in. Still have them.

So here's my problem: Is there anywhere, this web site, where I could order a pair of foam/rubber ones and have then directly shipped to a Puerto Rican PO box express style (FED Ex and UPS won't) ... and a few people, including Bubble Gum surf wax, which wouldn't mail my Just Blow Me t-shirt, won't.

Hope all is well.
Ray

monkeyfoot
06-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Just wrap the ones you have

A medium density Polypropazote foam should do the trick.

craig

Ray Pina
06-04-2007, 11:53 AM
That's not a bad idea. It's pretty heavy though.

Any links to free online instructional videos?

Thanks

David Jamieson
06-04-2007, 02:52 PM

Thanks

haven't seen any free instructional vids, but here's a dead basic.

use the ends like double weapons and use the middle to guard yourself.
and
use one end and the middle to get the free end to wrap and strike.

all footwork, changes and full weapon swing strikes aside.

Ray Pina
06-05-2007, 07:14 AM
I really want to learn since I've had the weapon for forever, and I see its potential. Was online and saw a Japanese three-section nunchuk which I really like... they won't deliver to PR. :mad:

Maybe I can find one in NYC when I visit next month.

CLFNole
06-05-2007, 11:57 AM
You could always try Wing Lam, I think he has a northern shaolin 3-sec staff set. That being said if you don't have much experience with flexible weapons such as 3-section staff, chain whip or possibly rope dart, the learning curve will be a bit steeper. If that is the case buy a lighter 3-sec staff first to get more comfortable then use the heavier one. You might also try wearing some head protection if you are worried.

Samurai Jack
06-05-2007, 11:24 PM
Here you go Ray:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=three+sectional+staff

Ray Pina
06-06-2007, 05:24 AM
thank you thank you thank you

monkeyfoot
06-06-2007, 08:03 AM

Thanks

Ah. I wouldn't personally learn with a heavy weight. Although they have more control, they hurt ten times more when you get hit by one. My younger kung fu brother was flowering slowly with a heavyweight; he was left with baseball shaped bruises all over his shins.

I would get a waxwood 3 section to start with. They are 'cheap as chips' and you could sand off like 1/4 inch if you decided to wrap it.

up to you though

Craig

MasterKiller
06-06-2007, 08:23 AM
Yeah, waxwood is the way to go.

cjurakpt
06-06-2007, 08:46 AM
rattan is also a good choice

Ray, if you are going to be on LI when you come up and want to cut your learning curve a bit, time permitting (I'm moving from Lynbrook to Bayshore at the end of the month) I'd be happy to show you some of the basic twirls and what not, (caveat: I am no expert, but I think I might be able to help you avoid some bruised shins and bumps on the head...)

Ray Pina
06-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Awesome. I'm going to take you up on that. I'll be on the island around the 9th. I'll send you a PM. I'm going to order a foam 3 section as well as the 3 sectional chuck and have them shipped to my dad in Jersey.

Stoked.