PDA

View Full Version : Authentic Chinese Martial Arts

flying_phoenix
06-04-2007, 02:25 PM
I am new to Houston, TX and have learned that the famous Professor Wang JuRong taught here. I am interested in learning authentic Chinese Martial Arts from credible and authenic instructors who have studied under her.

Does anyone have any suggestions on who her top students were and possible where they teach?

Flying Phoenix

golden arhat
06-04-2007, 02:40 PM
umm at the risk of acting like an mma fanboy

try an mma school first and then try a kung fu class

plz
not to say anything about various masters etc

but in all honesty u will probably end up being a better "martial" artist for it

Three Harmonies
06-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Good post bro!
Jake :cool:

Yum Cha
06-04-2007, 04:25 PM
I'd lie to pipe in as well...

Try Basketball, You'll never learn a jump shot with MMA or TCMA.

No, don't reply, just try it, you'll see what I mean.

Never mind what you want, I really know better, trust me.

Cheers

Merryprankster
06-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Although possibly not well articulated, I think golden arhat's point may well have been "what's your goal?"

And once you have that in mind, match the instructor to your goals.

Some people want to do stuff for fitness, others want to fight, some want to explore culture, while learning to fight, whatever.

That said, I can't help you, other than to say "what's your goal :D"

Mr Punch
06-04-2007, 05:25 PM
"what's your goal?"
He has already answered:

I am interested in learning authentic Chinese Martial Arts from credible and authenic instructors who have studied under her (Wang JuRong)

Therefore Golden Arhat's response is redundant and patronizing.

Merryprankster
06-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Actually, that may not be the ultimate goal.

I mean it may be - but it could also be seen as an enabling step. If my goal is a car repair and I'm looking for a good mechanic, and I've heard this person is a good mechanic, I might phrase it the way phoenix did.

That said, arhat's response wasn't exactly on point.

I'm not actually defending the response. I'm engaging in a pointless rhetorical exercise :D

Mr Punch
06-04-2007, 05:43 PM
... I'm engaging in a pointless rhetorical exercise :DFair enough :D

But if that is not his goal, as the original poster said that that is what he wanted you are saying you don't trust him to know his own mind. You could be saying that you don't trust the supposition that 'authentic Chinese martial arts ' is tantamount to real goal...?

You can't be saying that (as Mr Arhat did) you don't trust the supposition that 'authentic Chinese martial arts as passed down through Wang JuRong' is useful in achieving a goal as a useful fighter, because a) you are not I trust, familiar with that line, b) the OP said nothing about that being his original aim and in fact stated that c) his aim is to learn ''authentic Chinese martial arts as passed down through Wang JuRong''.

As the OP stated very specific parameters to his search, and none of those included a vague reference to the prowess of CMA, a desire to learn some unspecified CMA or a desire to learn effective fighting skills, surely we should take it that he is in fact, stating his original aim?

Rhetorical tosh over with: OP, don't be put off by this banter, at least it keeps your (very valdi) question to the top of the forum and people's attention, and welcome to the board!

DPL
06-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Lived in Houston for a while but wasn't training while I was there so the best advice I can give you is, try a Pappas Burger.

And I'm pretty sure Houston is the home of the Turducken (yep, you read it correctly) - a turkey, duck and chicken meat surprise.

Merryprankster
06-04-2007, 05:59 PM
Mr. Punch,

I'm saying exactly that, except that I don't attribute it to ME, rather I am speculating on Arhat's meaning.

Isn't it odd to comment on all of this in the 3rd person when it seems that the fellow is sitting right there? (hubris, anyone?)

What I'm suggesting is only that there could be, subjectively, some level of abiguity in the phrasing, depending on what the reader erm.... reads into the statement.

Personally, I think OP probably meant exactly what he/she wrote. Which is why I can't help at all :p

techno22
06-04-2007, 06:00 PM
umm at the risk of acting like an mma fanboy

try an mma school first and then try a kung fu class

plz
not to say anything about various masters etc

but in all honesty u will probably end up being a better "martial" artist for it

Actually in my mind if you wanna be a better martial artist you should mix your own combat sytles.

I do Tang Soo Do, High School Wrestling, and a slight bit of Tai Chi mixed in there.

Mr Punch
06-04-2007, 06:15 PM
...I'm saying exactly that, except that I don't attribute it to ME, rather I am speculating on Arhat's meaning.

Isn't it odd to comment on all of this in the 3rd person when it seems that the fellow is sitting right there? Which one? They neither of them seem to be online...
(hubris, anyone?)Does it go with coffee?

What I'm suggesting is only that there could be, subjectively, some level of abiguity in the phrasing, depending on what the reader erm.... reads into the statement.There could... but just cos the reader chooses to read other things into the statement doesn't mean they were intended, are desired or that they are correct. And if we take the statement at its face value it is clear what the writer intended. :p

Personally, I think OP probably meant exactly what he/she wrote. Which is why I can't help at all :pMe neither... :o

Actually in my mind if you wanna be a better martial artist you should mix your own combat sytles.
What do you think MMA means?! :p :D

Yum Cha
06-04-2007, 06:16 PM
I'm not actually defending the response. I'm engaging in a pointless rhetorical exercise :D

This is KFO, right? :D:D:D:D

Mr Punch
06-04-2007, 06:21 PM
This is KFO, right? :D:D:D:DOr is it KFM? ;) :p

I'm engaging in a pointless rhetorical exercise :eek: :D

techno22
06-04-2007, 07:36 PM
What do you think MMA means?! :p :D

Well yes but I thought he meant learning a pre-mixed set of moves from an instructor. I believe that people should mix their own arts, to be able to achieve whats easiest for them to battle with.

Mr Punch
06-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Well yes but I thought he meant learning a pre-mixed set of moves from an instructor. I believe that people should mix their own arts, to be able to achieve whats easiest for them to battle with.I dunno. That would seem to take a longer time to become proficient.

I learned boxing and some aspects of Muay Thai from my MMA teacher. He learns boxing from a good source and is a good boxer (using his boxing skills in pro MMA fights at very near the highest level). He also learned Thai from the Thais and regularly wins Thai only tournaments, kickboxing show fights etc.

I also learned wrestling and (B)JJ from him. His family were pro-wrestlers and he is a good wrestler and he has picked up a lot of JJ.

So, yeah, I can see your point if you're worried about properly learned skills rather than salad-bar MA, but if you trust your teacher's record (and can see the results in his record and in your skill set) I don't see a problem in learning [b]M[/M]MA. It just prevents you having to reinvent the wheel and decide for yourself which bits work and which bits don't when you can just learn the bits that are proven to work.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch... anybody know about Wang JuRong? ;)

SunBeam
06-05-2007, 08:15 AM
To answer your question, Sifu Charles Graham, his website is www.shaolinhouston.com. I have not met him but his just started teaching Long Fist, White Crane, and Tai Chi at a gym on Labranch street near downtown. Also, there is the Five Elements school were I attended (and plan to start back this month) run by Bomani Magharibi who teaches Long Fist, Chen Tai Chi, Pa Kua Chang, and Hsing I Chuan. His site is www.myspace.com/mwalimub and his school is downtown too.

Both were students of Madame Wang Jurong.

Hope this helps.

SB

Oso
06-05-2007, 07:08 PM
MP, you must be having a lull in training if you are posting more frequently...or, maybe you're just bored in a hotel room somewhere. :)

Merryprankster
06-06-2007, 06:12 AM
I took monday off and was reading the prep stuff. :D

Oso
06-06-2007, 06:31 PM
i helped someone who did review and analysis of clinical trails for the pharmaceutical industry a bit last fall ( I thought is was going to turn in to a full time job but it didn't ) and spent a couple of weekends crosschecking citations...ughughugh...so I can imagine the stuff you're having to read.

Merryprankster
06-06-2007, 08:08 PM
It's mostly sociology or constructivist link. The subject has to do with IT and it's effect on such things, but I'm not a big "technology guy," so I'm going to let the geeks figure that out.

What I mean by that is that the internet and associated technology is literally revolutionary, but that the individual advances that techies think are cool and revolutionary to mankind....aren't.

The advances that really matter are the ones that come after those cool advances - the ones where everybody gets involved and are easy to use.

Oso
06-06-2007, 08:11 PM
It's mostly sociology or constructivist link. The subject has to do with IT and it's effect on such things, but I'm not a big "technology guy," so I'm going to let the geeks figure that out.

What I mean by that is that the internet and associated technology is literally revolutionary, but that the individual advances that techies think are cool and revolutionary to mankind....aren't.

The advances that really matter are the ones that come after those cool advances - the ones where everybody gets involved and are easy to use.

that all stands to reason. just tell 'em "Oso said so" and maybe you can leave early and grab a beer.

people complicate the feces out of stuff most days.

:)

flying_phoenix
06-15-2007, 08:47 AM
Thank you for the information sent concerning my question. Although 95% of the information posted had nothing to do with the orignial posting, it took time and effort to post.

Best Regards.

Oso
06-15-2007, 02:59 PM
lmao...you only have the power to 'end posting' by deleting the thread. you can do that as the original poster.

:)