PDA

View Full Version : Pa Kua and JKD

Sung
10-24-2000, 07:47 PM
I don't know too much about JKD, but i do know that it shares a few principles with the style of Pa Kua I study. If any of you live in the NY/NJ Metropolitan area, and are interested in hearing ways you can improve your training, my teacher's teacher is giving a seminar in about 2 weeks. Here's a copy of the post I set up in the Kung Fu and Internal Forum.

Master Bok-Nam Park is giving a seminar at Bergen Kung Fu Academy (www.bkfa.com) on Saturday, Nov. 4th. from 10am to 4pm. Come see for yourself the reality of internal power and learn why size does not matter. Space is limited. Call BKFA at (201) 385-3130 for more info.
Among the topics discussed will be;
-How and why the modern world makes us sick and tired and what one can do to change it.
-Why Pa Kua Chang has been called, "the yoga of the martial arts", promoting the deepest levels of circulation throughout the body.
-How to develop highly evasive footwork and lightning quick combinations.
-The fighting principles that show the quickest and most efficient ways to devastate your opponent.
-Real world techniques and how to make them work when you need them most.

Master Bok-Nam Park is the Senior Lineage Disciple of his teacher, Lu Shui-Tian. He has written numerous articles and is the author of the two volume set of manuals: "The Fundamentals of Pa Kua Chang". With over 38 years experience in Pa Kua Chang, Master Park is one of the most highly skilled instructors alive today.

"Maaan, you come right out of a comic book."

Paul DiMarino
10-24-2000, 08:33 PM
Hey guys,

I've competed in amateur boxing and submission grappling. I believe in the ecclectic approach to MA (ie take what is useful/crosstrain) and currently I am studying BJJ, Judo, and boxing. I just wanted to make it clear that I am a "realist" and like to train what works.

That being said, I can only highly recommend going to this seminar. I studied under Park Bok-Nam for a little bit (I left because the only class in my area was Sat mornings), and this may be your only chance to see true combat-effective internal Chinese martial arts. All those stories that you hear about the little old guy knocking some 250 pounder across the room without any outward movement can be seen for real with sifu Park. Since he was 18, all that he has done is learn and teach Pa Kua. It would be a great mistake to pass up an oppurtunity to see him first hand. Please don't write this guy off. You'll be better in the long run. His website is http://www.pa-kua.com if you want to contact him or ask him questions.

GinSueDog
10-24-2000, 08:44 PM
Paul,
We all know you're really a traditionalist and this is only a ploy to turn us all into traditionalist. You are truly evil my friend.-ED
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

"The grappling arts imply most fights end up on the ground...take them there. The striking arts imply all fights start standing up...keep them there. The mixed martial arts imply any fight can go anywhere...be ready and able to go everywhere."-a mix martial artist

Paul DiMarino
10-24-2000, 09:15 PM
MWUHAHAHAHAHAHA!