PDA

View Full Version : Wong Fei Hung Group Brawl on Yutube

Firehawk4
06-05-2007, 11:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6pVhfkVgMM&mode=related&search=

TenTigers
06-05-2007, 12:05 PM
I gotta get me some flower pots and start practicin..

Laukarbo
06-05-2007, 04:17 PM
The one with rolled up sleeves, fighting at 1.50 is my Sigungs father,Lau Jaam.:D

diego
06-06-2007, 09:06 PM
cool clip

i just pulled out an old inside kung fu and in it Donald Hamby i beleive his name is interviews Lam Cho..he says wong fei hung was just a herbal doctor and lam sai wing the butcher was the real fighter in the movie legend...said wong was a doctor so they used him as the founder for prestige.

TenTigers
06-06-2007, 09:16 PM
great, time for yet another joint statement.:rolleyes:

djcaldwell
06-06-2007, 09:20 PM
cool clip

i just pulled out an old inside kung fu and in it Donald Hamby i beleive his name is interviews Lam Cho..he says wong fei hung was just a herbal doctor and lam sai wing the butcher was the real fighter in the movie legend...said wong was a doctor so they used him as the founder for prestige.

Laukarbo could definitely ellaborate on that more as he is in that line but his Sifu told me that is accurate. That all the rooftop battles we hear about and are documented in HK newspapers were not with WFH but LSW and Lam Jaam.

In fact in Legend of drunken master - the fight seen with Lau Kar Leung and Jackie Chan against the hatchet men - the bamboo being used as a weapon Lau Kar Leung used from something his father had actually done.

Makes his movies and moves all that much cooler - the guy is a legend.

Laukarbo
06-06-2007, 09:35 PM
I think those rooftop fight were in a later period of time..
But Damian is right the fights were done by LSW ,Lau Jaam and others..
There are not any accurate recordings anyway..except of that pole fight with the shattered ends as Damian mentioned ..this was recorded in the newspapers in HK..What I dont understand WFH last wife lived untill the early 80s she could have given more infos about WFH..maybe even pictures or anything...plus there should be stillfamily members alive..since wfh had that many kids...
I also been told that WFH was a better Doctor than a fighter..only the newspaper started to write fictional heroic stories about him..and from this point it took off way beyond reality...

the truth though .. is probably resting somewhere in between..

better concentrate on training...:D

PM
06-07-2007, 12:02 AM
all photos of Wong Feihung burned with Bou Ji Lam - there is no photo of Wong Feihung, only his sons. little bit of interesting info about real Wong Feihung is here

http://www.hungkuenmuseum.info/eng/WongFeiHung/mokkweilan.html

banditshaw
06-07-2007, 03:35 PM
My theory is that if LSW wanted to learn from WFH he must of had something other than herbs and medicine.
Maybe WFH wanted to play down his martial skill, maybe not.

Like Lau Kar Bo says, better just to train.

djcaldwell
06-07-2007, 03:51 PM
My theory is that if LSW wanted to learn from WFH he must of had something other than herbs and medicine.
Maybe WFH wanted to play down his martial skill, maybe not.

Like Lau Kar Bo says, better just to train.

I hear ya - and please don't misinterpret my statement - I do not by any means want to convey that WFH had little talent. As you say, LSW was his student - my understanding of it though was that LSW and Lau Jaam were the ones actually involved in most of the fights and not WFH. But as the proprietor of the shop and the teacher he became the legend.

Either way - they were all great in their time and I can only strive to achive a fraction of what they had.

banditshaw
06-07-2007, 04:02 PM
No problem DJ, I didn't misread you at all.
I mean most top Sifu usually had their battles fought by their best student. It was a common thing from what I know. Probably still is.

The history is all very interesting, is it not?

Peace.

banditshaw
06-07-2007, 04:04 PM
QUOTE] my understanding of it though was that LSW and Lau Jaam were the ones actually involved in most of the fights and not WFH. [/QUOTE]

I'm confused.....wasn't Lau Jaam LSW's student and not WFH's ?

djcaldwell
06-07-2007, 04:17 PM
I'm confused.....wasn't Lau Jaam LSW's student and not WFH's ?[/QUOTE]

As far as I know that was the case - the later periods that LKB mentions I'll have to assume is where they painted the town. But I don't have 100% accounts just what I remember being told.

GeneChing
06-07-2007, 05:03 PM
I'm more interested in the clip. Nice to finally see some of the old Wong Fei Hung movie fights easily accessible. Bless youtube.

Here's an archive e-zine piece I did on Wong Fei Hung's cinematic history (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=478).