PDA

View Full Version : previous "who cares..." thread

chivalrous hall
06-06-2007, 02:14 AM
now that the thread has been deleted i would like to give my intentions.

have recently taken up wck after spending many years studying another southern siu lam based system because i thought the higher level faht has ties with wck, this of course is personal and wouldnt expect to push the ideas on to anyone. now reading some posts on this thread there r many arguments about lineage and this and the other. at the end of day do these things really matter?? if ur wck or whatever trademark name you go by works for you (lets not kid ourselves) and it can be taught to others then this is all that matters...any thoughts.

Cheers,

tjwingchun
06-06-2007, 04:23 AM
I am with you on this one, I teach Wing Chun as a pure science, nothing fancy just simple application of basic body mechanics appiled to violent confrontation, understanding the structure and function of how the limbs and the muscles operating over joints create kinetic energy and how that energy is transferred into your oppponent at the point of contact.

I am a scientist not a historian, philosopher or a politician, I deal with facts not suppostition, I investigate actions and pass on knowledge of technique that can be replicated by anyone, not just me, which is the basis of scientific proof.

For me when the words become mystical or what I call the language of the 'ists ie trying to sound intellectual and too highbrow to be questioned by those who do not comprehend their interpretations, I tend to switch off, Wing Chun is simple if you allow it to be, however you can easily make it sound complicated but be careful which orifice you are using to speak through and beware that you don't end up with your head stuck up the orifice I am hinting at! lol :eek:

Well lets see how this thread progresses.

taltos
06-06-2007, 03:06 PM
if ur wck or whatever trademark name you go by works for you (lets not kid ourselves) and it can be taught to others then this is all that matters...any thoughts.

You know, this really is the heart of the matter. At the end of the day, if you are satisfied with what you are getting, then who really cares what anyone else thinks? The only caveat I would add at all is that you are using some sort of validation "test" to make sure you are able to do it when it counts... but even then ONLY if that's important to you. I know people who aren't in it for the history, or the lineage, or EVEN the fighting skills, and who cares? If you're getting what you want (WHATEVER that is), then you're A-OK.

If everyone REALLY thought like this, then no one would have need to post (or respond to) anything having to do with lineage, history, preference, etc.

GREAT POST! (Yours, not mine... I'm not QUITE that narcissistic :-) )

-Levi

anerlich
06-06-2007, 03:22 PM
now that the thread has been deleted i would like to give my intentions.

What was the point of the earlier thread? Some think obscurity implies profundity, when really it just implies obscurity. If you want to prove how clever you are, do it with insightful posts, not tricks.

The way is in training, per Musashi. Not in brand names, historical purity, grand unified theories of everything, mystical connections, etc.

That said, this is not a hallowed hall of higher learning. It's more like a pub, where the conversation consists of the inane, pointless, and occasionally billigerent, with the occasional pearl of wisdom. Expecting more than a moderately interesting way to waste time from here will almost certainly result in disappointment.

It's good that you have experience in other arts, and may be able to offer a fresh point of view. A fair number of other posters, myself included, have been around the block in similar fashion.

taltos
06-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Expecting more than a moderately interesting way to waste time from here will almost certainly result in disappointment.

Amen.

-Levi

Mr Punch
06-06-2007, 05:11 PM
now that the thread has been deleted i would like to give my intentions. ...
at the end of day do these things really matter?? if ur wck or whatever trademark name you go by works for you (lets not kid ourselves) and it can be taught to others then this is all that matters...any thoughts.That's a far better approach than obscurities... I thought that's what you were getting at but I wasn't going to waste my time speculating. And yes, I agree, it shouldn't matter. The lineage nitpickers will say that lineage is important because of course otherwise you don't know if what you're getting will work (...!) which of course you know if you try to use it against someone from another art. Oops. Was that the familiar sound of that old can of worms reopening? :D

I teach Wing Chun as a pure science, nothing fancy just simple application of basic body mechanics appiled to violent confrontation, understanding the structure and function of how the limbs and the muscles operating over joints create kinetic energy and how that energy is transferred into your oppponent at the point of contact.

I am a scientist not a historian, philosopher or a politician, I deal with facts not suppostition, I investigate actions and pass on knowledge of technique that can be replicated by anyone, not just me, which is the basis of scientific proof...Well lets see how this thread progresses.LOL, maybe not too well with claims like that! What is your scientific background? Physiology?

I don't really think there are many other sciences that would be relevant in this field.

How are you doing, BTW, Trevor? Haven't been around much lately have you? (Me neither for that matter- too busy spawning and trying to get time for training.)

Agreed with Taltos and Anerlich, esp this!
Expecting more than a moderately interesting way to waste time from here will almost certainly result in disappointment.

chivalrous hall
06-07-2007, 04:28 AM
[QUOTE=anerlich;768356]What was the point of the earlier thread? Some think obscurity implies profundity, when really it just implies obscurity. If you want to prove how clever you are, do it with insightful posts, not tricks.

no trickery was intended. just wanted to see how many would chime in. not here to prove anything bro. the tact was probably not the best.

QUOTE=anerlich Expecting more than a moderately interesting way to waste time from here will almost certainly result in disappointment.

good point, guess the arguing is a good waste of time??

Cheers fellas,

chivalrous hall
06-07-2007, 04:29 AM
Think i need to polish up on me keyboard skills.:D

AmanuJRY
06-07-2007, 08:00 AM
no trickery was intended. just wanted to see how many would chime in. not here to prove anything bro. the tact was probably not the best.

The thing is, this question has been asked - more or less - in many ways throughout several threads of discussion that I have witnessed in my few years of posting here. So your question comes off as a bit rhetorical.;)

...as for the keyboard thing, be careful in deleting part of your quotes as when you get near the quote tags it tends to delete part of the tag as well, thereby messing up the quote. It's a bug in the program or something.:D