PDA

View Full Version : Attention Nospam

hskwarrior
06-08-2007, 03:03 PM
hey,

i heard your lineage teaches a staff form called 18 cheung kwun.

do you know this set?

Ben Gash
06-08-2007, 04:36 PM
I do :cool:

hskwarrior
06-08-2007, 04:39 PM
do you practice it?:confused

is it from chan family, or buk sing/hung sing?

Ben Gash
06-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Bak Sing. I used to do BSFG from the same lineage as Nospam and Satori. It's a really nice set (well, actually my Sifu knows 4 different versions of it, but I like the one I learned best), good techniques, good fighting theory, a little bit of northern flair. It's a good intermediate staff set, and good for competitions.

hskwarrior
06-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks Ben,

Check You Pm Please.

CLFNole
06-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Is the name of the set Sup Baat Cheung Kwun? Meaning it is one of those sets that can be done with either a staff or spear? If so I would guess that it is a single-head staff/spear set.

Next question would be is this a set that was added later or possibly derived from sheung garp dan kwun since that was a set that Tam Sam reportedly learned.

Ben Gash
06-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Yeah, it's 18 spears pole, and yes it's a single ended set.

hskwarrior
06-08-2007, 05:36 PM
okay, i could be wrong,

but from what i hear it may be jeong yims original staff, and that it may also be based off of the 6.5 staff form found in fut san hsk.

CLFNole
06-08-2007, 05:41 PM
If it has a northern flare as Ben said I doubt it would be Jeong Yim's original staff set. If it was wouldn't it be more prevalent in the CLF world? Truthfully I doubt any form around now is truly original and has changed somewhat over time.

hskwarrior
06-08-2007, 05:44 PM
from what i hear its also been modified by leung lap yau.

perhaps the northern flair came later......but its supposed to be a hung sing/ buk sing form.

CLFNole
06-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Interesting I have never heard of this form mentioned before. It seems that most of the old staff forms were either some type of baat kwa staff or lok dim or ng dim staff.

hskwarrior
06-08-2007, 06:00 PM
In chinese how do you say "six and a half point staff?:confused:

is it lok dim?

nospam
06-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Yo Ben Gash

Are we familair? Curious as to your BSCLF lineage.

Pole set is Sup Baat Cheung Gun - single pole.

Tam Sam learned the Pacqua (Bakwa) pole. Tam Sam exerted his efforts with the gun style as this was another popular method of testing ones' fighting skill.

We hold the pole a little different than most I've seen where the lead hand fingers do not wrap around the pole so they do not get hit and one can parry, use circular direction to control and of course use the full length more effectively. As with most weapons, it is an extension of the hand and more importantly the fighting philosophy.

We used to fight with the padded pole as Satori Science has posted vids of not that long ago. A very exciting endeavour that makes one more adept at footwork. I used to think of it as taming the snake!

nospam
:cool:

CLFNole
06-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Frank:

Lok dim boon

In terms of staff play (kwun faht) circling is extremely important with all southern styles especially long pole. The use of the circle gives a lot of insight as to the understanding of the weapon by the practioner.

mokkori
06-08-2007, 09:51 PM
"Sup Baat Cheung Gwun" means 18 Spearing Staff, not spear/staff. In the form there are 18 thrusts which make it "spearing" staff. It does not double for both weapons, but being a single end staff (for the most) it has alot of similarities with the spear.

The form is Hung Sing, not Buk Sing. It got into the Buk Sing system from Leung Yap Yau, who learned this form from Chui Kwong Yeun.

The 18 Spearing Staff is the representative staff form of Hung Sing Choi Lei Fut.

Ben Gash
06-09-2007, 01:22 AM
Hi Nospam, I'm Neil's student.

nospam
06-09-2007, 08:06 AM
Ben Gash

..from Winnipeg then?

mokkori

Interesting tid-bit of information. I wasn't sure where sigung Leung might have picked it up besides in HK.

And hskwarrior

It has been modified since.

nospam

Mano Mano
06-09-2007, 08:16 AM
We hold the pole a little different than most I've seen where the lead hand fingers do not wrap around the pole so they do not get hit and one can parry, use circular direction to control and of course use the full length more effectively. As with most weapons, it is an extension of the hand and more importantly the fighting philosophy.
I thought that was standard in CLF

nospam
06-09-2007, 08:23 AM
Mano Mano

Yup - pole is a common MA weapon so handling techniques are going to be similar. I haven't seen the finger placement the way I described it. Most peeps use the general full hand grip. My other comments were general.

nospam

Ben Gash
06-09-2007, 08:49 AM
I'm not from Winnipeg, but I'm a frequent visitor ;)

Mano Mano
06-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Nospam, just asking because the way you do it is the way I was taught for pole and spear. I thought all CLF would do it the same way.

nospam
06-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Ben Gash

Well let me know when you are in the 'Peg next. We can hook up and test the waters so to speak. Would be nice checking out your Plum Blossom CLF.

Mano Mano

Good stuff. It makes sense to be taught that way.

nospam