PDA

View Full Version : And Now for the Nay Sayers ...

mantis108
06-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Hi All,

Kaveh Tahani used to training CCK TCPM/Mantis Kung Fu for about a year or so with me when he was living in Yellowknife, NWT, Canada. He is currently a student at Franco Kickboxing / Pankration in Vancouver, B.C., Canada and has been there for 5 months. Under the guidance of Mr. Franco, he entered in the middle weight Full Contact Pankration division at the 28th Can-Am tournament held at the BCIT on June 2, 2007. This is his first ever baptize by fire Pankration style so to speak despite a relatively short training period in Pankration competition format.

Rules:

No Knees to the head
No Elbows
No Punches with the person in on the ground....only open hand or Palm strikes

Baptized by Fire Pankration Style - the Journey continues ... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuD7waUUvVQ)

After 3 well fought bouts, he was awarded a silver medal in his division. This bout ended with him winning due to effective palm striking in opponent's half guard that I personally believe is something for traditional arts to ponder. The iron palm and short power generation, I believe are from his Karate background. The idea of disciplined attacks with dominant position, fluidity in all range and relaxation at all time are a few things our CCK TCPM brings to the mat. I believe those things coupled with Mr. Franco’s Pankration full contact training showed that traditional arts can contribute in the post NHB era. Traditional martial arts, either as primary source of self defense art or as component of cross-training, are just as relevant as any other martial sports in the ring or on the mat IMHO. Of course, Kaveh’s personal drive and enormous hearts are huge factors in his success as well.

We would like to dedicate this video to the superb effort of Mr. Franco and everyone at Franco Kickboxing/Pankration in guiding Kaveh in his transition from traditional marital arts into full contact Pankration. On behalf of everyone at the Yellowknife Taiji Praying Mantis Kung Fu Club, I would like to also congratulate Kaveh and his wife, Keiko, who has been most supportive to his martial arts endeavors.

I hope you all enjoy this clip. Thank you and comments and feed backs are most welcome.

Sincerely,

Robert Hui

PS please check the following clip for similarity in fighting approach to Pankration

Old Sparring Session (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Hzl1r0kVA&mode=user&search=)

mantid1
06-09-2007, 04:27 PM
That double leg take down almost made him look like a "crazy demon":)

mantis108
06-09-2007, 05:30 PM
That double leg take down almost made him look like a "crazy demon":)

Well, my friend, that double leg has a rather beautiful Chinese name also. It's called "iron ox ploughs the field". So I would say his like the sworn brother of Monkey King in the "journey to the west", the Demon Ox King. :D

Warm regards

Robert