PDA

View Full Version : one punch k/o research vid

Black Jack II
06-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Incase anyone missed it, here is the video from the national geographic research on the one punch knockout, its a short clip but some may enjoy it.

I believe in the research the boxing right cross was used as the pinnacle of striking power in there study, but its been awhile since I have seen it.

http://my.break.com/media/view.aspx?ContentID=299369

sanjuro_ronin
06-11-2007, 11:55 AM
LOL !

The may well have been one of the worse examples of a right cross I have ever seen.

Ah, that show was a riot !

Jingwu Man
06-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Posted by Black Jack II
I believe in the research the boxing right cross was used as the pinnacle of striking power in there study, but its been awhile since I have seen it.

Is that a generalization? I'm sure boxers hit hard, but I've met some Chinese martial artists with absolutely terrifying power in their strikes, and my teacher himself is notorious for his one hit KO's. Of course, he does have an Iron fist, so I guess it's all in who you do research on......

Black Jack II
06-11-2007, 12:02 PM
I am not saying what is or what is not valid, just presenting the National vid as I came across it, take it as you will.

Personally yes, I believe boxing has some of the best hands around, in both physical and psychological perspectives of application to a stress based altercation, but that is digressing.

sanjuro_ronin
06-11-2007, 12:10 PM
I will take the average boxer VS the average ( insert typical MA system) and bet on the boxer and probably win that bet pretty reguarly.

RD'S Alias - 1A
06-11-2007, 12:20 PM
That is because the Average Boxer sparrs more...the average TMA does forms too much.

Forms are for teachers to maintain, and keep thier curriculum organized...NOT for students.

I will only teach a form at the end of the unit. It's like a unit summary, not the focus.

sanjuro_ronin
06-11-2007, 12:28 PM
That is because the Average Boxer sparrs more...the average TMA does forms too much.

Forms are for teachers to maintain, and keep thier curriculum organized...NOT for students.

I will only teach a form at the end of the unit. It's like a unit summary, not the focus.

Spars more certainly helps, but they also drill more, bag work, pad work, beating up old people by the bus stop, all kinds of assorted fun.

Black Jack II
06-11-2007, 12:34 PM
I disagree royal, its more than that.

Here is my take,

1. Besided the sparring, there is a LOT of goal based conditioning in boxing, everything from modern weight training, tons of bag work, footwork drills, speed training, reflext training, cardio, all in one direct effort.

2. Power generation is not exotic in principle, its easy to grasp from the western mindset, which leads me to point 3 and why it is imho a better base line striking system.

3. Boxing and its ugly little cousin of flat out street punching imo has a deep psychological connection to how a person physically reacts to a sudden violent assualt or even a drawn out challenge fight, when the adrenal dump sits in and the game plans go out the window, it all starts to look the same, maybe this is because of how we are geared to respond on a base reptile level or even a mix of what we have all seen on the tv growing up, from old time westerns to action flicks, that makes us so comfortable with its base mechanics.

It's this basic animal connection with the closed fist of boxing, be it unskilled punching or true development, that is seen time and time again now on youtube, and maybe by yourself in a street altercation.

sanjuro_ronin
06-11-2007, 12:36 PM
I disagree royal, its more than that.

Here is my take,

1. Besided the sparring, there is a LOT of goal based conditioning in boxing, everything from modern weight training, tons of bag work, footwork drills, speed training, reflext training, cardio, all in one direct effort.

2. Power generation is not exotic in principle, its easy to grasp from the western mindset, which leads me to point 3 and why it is imho a better base line striking system.

3. Boxing and its ugly little cousin of flat out street punching imo has a deep psychological connection to how a person physically reacts to a sudden violent assualt or even a drawn out challenge fight, when the adrenal dump sits in and the game plans go out the window, it all starts to look the same, maybe this is because of how we are geared to respond on a base level or even a mix of what we have all seen on the tv growing up, from old time westerns to action flicks.

It's this basic animal connection with the closed fist of boxing, be it unskilled punching or true development, that is seen time and time again now on youtube, and maybe by yourself in a street altercation.

A valid point, the goal of boxing is to smash your fist into another human being in the best, most economical and most effective manner possible, within the rules.

The goal of most MA is to...hmm...er....ah....ah forget it.

Fuzzly
06-13-2007, 08:05 AM
1 person from each set of skills does not a scientific study make. For entertainment purposes only.