PDA

View Full Version : So what point do you measure?

Becca
06-11-2007, 12:56 PM
I got into a debate with a co-worker on what point to measure the upper arm at. It's s'posed to be the widest part of the bicep, right? Does it change position if you are flexing vs. relaxed? And waht about calves, quads, ect?

tattooedmonk
06-11-2007, 07:03 PM
neck: across the adam's apple.

chest: across the nipple line.

waist : at the narrowist point of the waist, below the rib cage and just above the hip bone, if there is no narrowing of the waist , measure at the navel.

hips : at the widest part of the buttocks.

thighs : just below the buttocks or 10 inches above the pattella.

calf : at the maximal circumference between the ankle and the knee;.

upper arm: at the maximal circumference of the upper arm, with the arm extended , palm facing out ( anteriorly ).

you are correct.

Becca
06-12-2007, 06:24 AM
Sweet! I never get to win debates. :p

He kept insisting the measurement for the upper arm was s'posed to be right below the sholder. His reasoning was that if you measured around the "main" bicep, the measurement would change between being flexed and being relaxed... Of course it would change. It would change for any muscle you measured. That's not a reason to measure the wrong part, though.:confused:

SevenStar
06-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Even right below the shoulder it should change some, you would think...

Becca
06-12-2007, 10:47 AM
Just tried it. Yes, it changed, but only by about 1/2". 'Course, I'm not exactly a modle of perfect form and fitness. ;)

IronFist
06-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Flex Biceps.

Measure at the peak (highest part).

I don't know anyone who does unflexed biceps measurements. However, if you were going to, I hear the method is to flex, put your index finger on the peak (highest part), and then leave your finger there while you straighten your arm out, and measure there.