PDA

View Full Version : BJJ Solo drills on the bag clip

Nick Forrer
06-11-2007, 04:45 PM
hey guys

here is a short clip of yours truly demonstrating ways to use the heavy bag for solo grappling/mma practice

hope you find some use for them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvU8q6tZAZw

Ultimatewingchun
06-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Good drills, Nick.

Btw...You have a vid coming out where you've got the heavy bag all guarded up?

Just kidding. :cool::D

yenhoi
06-12-2007, 05:11 AM
http://www.lockflow.com/article_view.php?id=1066

yenhoi
06-12-2007, 05:12 AM
http://www.lockflow.com/article_view.php?id=2031

Knifefighter
06-12-2007, 10:29 AM
hey guys

here is a short clip of yours truly demonstrating ways to use the heavy bag for solo grappling/mma practice

hope you find some use for them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvU8q6tZAZw

Nick,
The problem with switching from side to side on the knee ride the way you are doing it in the first drill is that you will get caught up in his legs and usually get put into 1/2 guard or full guard. Try that switch with a partner who is trying to guard you up and you'll see. A more effective switch is the step around the head to the other side that you show later.

Also, if you plant one hand back when rotating around and sitting back for the arm bar, that will allow you to transition back up to the mount instead of rolling back and will give you a smoother flow. This is also a way to apply a more controlling and tighter arm bar.

bodhitree
06-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Good clips, I like the arm lock drill (going to technical mount)! Quality post

stricker
06-12-2007, 03:15 PM
nice nick

we do quite a few of those as drills where i train mma - the hands on knees knee-on-stomach drill, the switching armbar drill and jumping over from side to side, usually as partner drills

some days if partner numbers are odd we get a round out on the floor bag when we're doing padwork. thats hell as we do intervals of picking it up and slamming, squats, rotating it etc as well as the mobility stuff like this with g'n'p etc. 4 punches, get the armbar etc, side control, throw knees in etc etc...

Nick Forrer
06-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Nick,
The problem with switching from side to side on the knee ride the way you are doing it in the first drill is that you will get caught up in his legs and usually get put into 1/2 guard or full guard. Try that switch with a partner who is trying to guard you up and you'll see. A more effective switch is the step around the head to the other side that you show later.

Also, if you plant one hand back when rotating around and sitting back for the arm bar, that will allow you to transition back up to the mount instead of rolling back and will give you a smoother flow. This is also a way to apply a more controlling and tighter arm bar.

Thanks for the feedback Dale

I agree about the first point - its more just a basic move for flow and balance as I was taught it rather than an application per se.

Nick Forrer
06-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Good clips, I like the arm lock drill (going to technical mount)! Quality post

Cheers you're welcome - maybe more to come soon.

anerlich
06-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Good stuff Nick.

I've also played around using the bag with:

far side armbar from kneeride, with recovery to obth mount and kneeride

spinning/baseball choke

sprawling on one end/spin to the back

various guard passes, esp. those using a knee through, jumpover, or cartwheel

front sweep (like judo tomeonage)

Reverse basic and hooking sweeps

hip bump sweep

stack it on end and practice low ankle shoots

rolling reversal from under side control

work your hooks individually or together

We also do a circuit in MMA class and one station is G&P on the bag.

My MMA instructor told me last week: "what's your best training tool? IMAGINATION."

Becca
06-14-2007, 07:12 AM
Very nice demo, nick! I liked how you also showed how to transition smoothly between all the drills you demonstrated. Doesn't mater how good a move is if you can't transition well.:)

Nick Forrer
06-14-2007, 07:21 AM
Thanks Andrew and Becca,

More to come soon hopefully:)