PDA

View Full Version : 1 armed vrs 4=Chaos

Black Jack II
06-12-2007, 08:58 AM
WARNING: Disturbing Content

An interesting scenario caught on tape showing 4 unarmed men vrs 1 mugger with a revolver in a very close range confrontation or what one of my old instructors once described as "social gunfire".

Notice as they all are struggling to gain control of the situation that the two still standing at the end seemed to be the one's attempting to redirect the field of fire and control the weapon bearing limb.

I think this is a good example of real physical and psychological chaos in its most direct form when in the context of weapons. Which bring's me to my question....

Doe's your traditional system or your own method of training address this situation and/or does it work with modern weapon disarming drills and how do you pressure test these drills if any?

http://www.youtube.com/jp.swf?video_id=mZy8tTznLDA&eurl=http%3A//www.totalprotectioninteractive.com/forum/showthread.php%3Ft%3D7111&iurl=http%3A//img.youtube.com/vi/mZy8tTznLDA/2.jpg&t=OEgsToPDskIpLQBZPaUAFkOg0F4o17aF

The Willow Sword
06-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Oh Yes BJ i am DEFINATELY trained in my traditional system to deal with a confrontation like that and i will share it with you all because i want to really impart some WISDOM here on the forum.

You take your right or left hand and you proceed to reach in to your back pocket,you SLOWLY produce your Wallet and in a slow manner you hand your wallet over to the person with the gun. He takes your Wallet leaves, YOU survive and you thank whatever kharma or god you pray to that you are still alive.

ANYTHING else is stupid and reckless.(as we see on the video)

Im glad i was able to share this with you.

Peace,TWS

xcakid
06-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Dang video won't play for me. Just freezes. :confused:

Black Jack II
06-12-2007, 09:53 AM
The only thing you are doing with your right or left hand is jerking off.

Maybe one day you will get some maturity and understand that your not Syliva Brown, that you can not predict what any outcome will be, let alone being able to just hand over your wallet and walk home.

You don't think this situation has MANY minor vairations which could force such a confrontation?

Please......:rolleyes:

PangQuan
06-12-2007, 09:57 AM
suppose the attacker wants your wife/GF instead of your wallet?

do you hand her over?

i cant see the vid at work tho, they blocked youtube.com :mad:

xcakid
06-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Ancient times = People carried weapons. Spears, swords, chain whips, staff, etc.

Modern times = We rely on the police and/or comply to bad guys. The wussification of civilization.

Me personally, I carry a gun everywhere it is legal for me to. Glad I live in a state that recognizes the 2nd Ammendment of the US constitution. :D

Black Jack II
06-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Xcadid,

Kinda my point in a way, if your claiming to have a complete system, thank god you don't really see that phrase used much anymore but you know its out there, and if your claiming your system is geared towards a practical outlook on self defense than not working with modern technology in some respect is kinda asine.

That is if your making full spectrum claims, if your just saying this is what we do and we do it well, then that is different of course.

Why would a very traditional school NOT teach some firearm drills? Why not evolve?

PangQuan
06-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Xcadid,

Kinda my point in a way, if your claiming to have a complete system, thank god you don't really see that phrase used much anymore but you know its out there, and if your claiming your system is geared towards a practical outlook on self defense than not working with modern technology in some respect is kinda asine.

That is if your making full spectrum claims, if your just saying this is what we do and we do it well, then that is different of course.

Why would a very traditional school NOT teach some firearm drills? Why not evolve?

because they arent truly a traditional school?

I can see why a lot of schools dont, generally these schools dont market themselves as traditional, and hopefully not self defense.

Sport schools, hippie crust schools, i can see not concerning themselves. But ya, those who coin themselves "traditional" should first and formost be concerned with the modern times and how to best adapt themselves to deal with the times. Otherwise I wouldnt consider a school like that traditional.

sanjuro_ronin
06-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Unless there is NO OTHER choice, NONE, ZERO whatsoever, do NOT attempt to disarm a armed attacker, if he had ANY idea what to do, all 3 woudl have been shot.

IF you firmly believe that your life of that of a loved one is in danger, then the choice is there, just realize that, unless you have had TONS of armed VS unarmed training, you will most likely get shot or killed.

Black Jack II
06-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Otherwise I wouldnt consider a school like that traditional.

Very good point.

PangQuan
06-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Unless there is NO OTHER choice, NONE, ZERO whatsoever, do NOT attempt to disarm a armed attacker, if he had ANY idea what to do, all 3 woudl have been shot.

IF you firmly believe that your life of that of a loved one is in danger, then the choice is there, just realize that, unless you have had TONS of armed VS unarmed training, you will most likely get shot or killed.

I agree with this totally.

though i have and do enjoy knife/gun disarm techniques and training, the best use for these I think are in the movies.

unless, as you point out, you have ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER OPTIONS. At this point you will wish for **** sure that you had done some dis arming apps....

RD'S Alias - 1A
06-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Of course in that case there would have been 4 witnesses, who may have been shot BECAUSE they gave up thier wallets and tried to run......

xcakid
06-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Xcadid,

I don't believe there is a complete system out there. There are so many variable when it comes to a street confrontation, there can be endless possibilities. But apparently based on some folks, BJJ is the end all and be all when it comes to fighting. Who knew?!?!!?

Martial Arts really have not evolve with the times. Be it the reason of social outlook or various legal ramifications. As a matter of fact I believe it has been restricted and have regressed.

What a lot of the progressive thinking people fail to see is our genetic make up. We are predators and have the capability for violence. We also have a lack of discipline. So once our buttons at pushed, we become violent. Now we are repressing that and people actually buy into it. We ban guns. We curtail from training a certain technique for its "deadly application". We hold back on training cause it "too hard" and not everyone can participate (or perhaps my school won't make money). All this comes out to being a wussy. Me personally, I did not climb to the top of the food chain to regress back to the bottom.

Let's take kid that grew up in the 50's. Did they ride around in bike with helmets on? Let's take the kids of today, they ride around on bike with helmets, knee pads, wrist pads, etc. Kids of the 50's are still alive and well today.

We have a culture of wussies. And will continue to become worse. Martial arts will regress to single block and single punch. More techiniques will be edited out cause it is too dangerous, or too difficult for the "average joe" to perform.

Modern weapons such as firearms will never be taught. As I have mentioned, martial arts has remained stagnant and/or regressed. I older times martial artist would train in the most devastating weapon of its time. Not today, uh uh.

Video like this you posted horrifies people. It shouldn't, its a fact of life.

Black Jack II
06-12-2007, 12:10 PM
Excellent post and I agree in many respects.

I also think this absurd stagnication of what some believe to be traditional thinking is what gave rise to the rbsd field for those that were sick of the absurd pseudo science and outdated viewpoints a lot of so-called traditionalists may tend to cling onto.

No pre-conflict training nor post conflict training, a lack of incorporation of all ranges found in fighting, i.e ground, less attention paid to modern weapons such as sticks, guns and knifes, a large focus on static training instead of working in a alive enviroment, bizzare and uncomfortable fine motor reactions to high stress actions, a outlook towards occult vitalism such as chi in the format of self defense and pressure point knockouts......................

It's a broad brush stroke but like all sterotypes there is truth to it.

Ultimatewingchun
06-12-2007, 12:12 PM
I think it's important to train unarmed against knives, sticks, guns, etc. at least once-a-month or so. Just to stay relatively sharp - if that's possible. Not because I believe that you have a good chance of not getting stabbed, shot, etc. - since the odds of coming out unharmed are not good at all.

But you might. (Or at the very least - you might survive).

So as I see it, occasional training like this is important because you could indeed find yourself in a situation someday wherein you have no choice but to try and defend yourself or a loved one against a weapon.

So why not do some preparation?

As for that video, assuming that they should have fought back (and that could be debated endlessly - although it was probably a very poor decision)...clearly one problem was that throwing punches from a distance - by the guy who was fatally shot - was a very bad move.

You need to be going for the arm/elbow/hand that's holding the gun, first and foremost - and all subsequent (or simultaneous striking) needs to be subordinated to that main goal.

But getting back to the whole question of should they have fought back in the first place: rightly or wrongly, one of your friends decides to go for the gun - and the scuffle breaks out. As I see it, you then have no choice but to join in and go for the gun arm.

sanjuro_ronin
06-12-2007, 12:18 PM
I think it's important to train unarmed against knives, sticks, guns, etc. at least once-a-month or so. Just to stay relatively sharp - if that's possible. Not because I believe that you have a good chance of not getting stabbed, shot, etc. - since the odds of coming out unharmed are not good at all.

But you might. (Or at the very least - you might survive).

So as I see it, occasional training like this is important because you could indeed find yourself in a situation someday wherein you have no choice but to try and defend yourself or a loved one against a weapon.

So why not do some preparation?

Once a week min and that is IF your empty hand training translates to armed without any major problems, ala kali and such.

Black Jack II
06-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Ultimate,

How are you doing your gun defenses, just a plastic model, or you incorporating a airsoft style gun into the mix with googles or maybe even something like simmunition?

PangQuan
06-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Ultimate,

How are you doing your gun defenses, just a plastic model, or you incorporating a airsoft style gun into the mix with googles or maybe even something like simmunition?

airsoft rules....just had to put that out there.

but really, some goggles and an airsoft gun are very nice, as you can actually get shot if you screw up, and feel it. though since the guns are 1-1 scale, its as realistic as you can get.

full metal standard 9mm is great. IMO

Shaolinlueb
06-12-2007, 01:15 PM
1st

i would have given him my money.

2nd if i did choose to disarm him which 99% chance i wouldn't. i would remember the 3 best strike points, groin, throat, and eyes.

Black Jack II
06-12-2007, 01:23 PM
I think we all have enough common sense to give this douche our money, at that point its not about wussification or anything, it's more inline with what other forms that this can take place, telling you to get into a car, telling you to hand over your child or wife, that kind of thing, or maybe you just have a serious jedi gut check that tells you this is not going to end well once the cash is handed over.

Hell, if someone had a gun on me and wanted me to stick a dead cat's anus on my head as a tribute to the planet Venus, I would do it.

PangQuan
06-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Yep, just give em what they want, but make sure and get a good mental image of their physical aspects, so you know what they look like.

that way you can get revenge.

Ultimatewingchun
06-12-2007, 02:33 PM
One of my guys got a plastic hollow toy handgun, managed to open it up, filled it with sand, and somehow managed to glue it back together - so it has the weight and feel of a real gun to it.

Although I like what you guys described as an airsoft gun. I think I'll go check that out.

Black Jack II
06-12-2007, 02:55 PM
Ultimate,

Just one site, there are many more distributors out there. Check online Wip if you want a breakdown of it and its history.

http://shortyusa.com/index.html?RID=4328

The Willow Sword
06-12-2007, 08:10 PM
The only thing you are doing with your right or left hand is jerking off.

Maybe one day you will get some maturity and understand that your not Syliva Brown, that you can not predict what any outcome will be, let alone being able to just hand over your wallet and walk home.

You don't think this situation has MANY minor vairations which could force such a confrontation?

Please......

Hey Blow Job II, You can take your neo-con pro gun kill everyone with it attitude plus your comments to me and cram it right back up your @ss Crossways.

You are right about not being able to predict what outcome will occur, i HAVE been attacked by a mugger with a knife you mealy mouthed Muther fuker and i survived it with only a slice on the hand and the other guy was knocked unconcious. In most cases you hand over the money and you live, in my situation i didnt have any and i fought back, but that was against a knife not a gun.
And i stand by what i say about handing over the wallet and not trying anything stupid, like those guys did on the video and one gets KILLED and the other critically wounded.

You can go through all your militia douche bag plastic gun training and it isnt going to prepare you for the real deal. This was a case of a comon thug with a gun wanting money, NOT your wife and child,,,:rolleyes:Please. Get your head out of Hollywoods @ss, Blow job II.:rolleyes: And this isnt the wild wild west cowpoke, you may be able to carry a concealed gun and look over your shoulder all the time wondering, but its just going to give you ulcers and eventually stomach cancer and then we will be rid of you, and not soon enough i might add.

yeah you p!ssed me off,,TWS

PS. im tired of your BS so in the iggy bin ya go, fuknut

Black Jack II
06-12-2007, 08:22 PM
LOL!!!

Momma's boy need's to get a thicker skin and some better lies.:rolleyes:

The Willow Sword
06-12-2007, 08:38 PM
i am NOT lying about being attacked Blow Job II. I dont have to explain myself to you anyway. Just because you feel or think(which is a long stretch for you my friend) that i am not capable of dealing with such a confrontation because I CHOOSE to walk a more peaceful path and not be some war mongering jerk off like yourself. You have no idea who i am or what i am capable of. I dont profess to be a master of anything and have never claimed mastery of anything, but what i CAN write with the utmost confidence regardless of your BS here on this thread(which should be in the "reality street fighting section" anyway) is that i have experienced what it is like to be attacked on the street and with a weapon, i survived it, i am still here.
TWS

Now you are officially on ignore, i have nothing more to say to you.

Knifefighter
06-12-2007, 10:30 PM
i HAVE been attacked by a mugger with a knife you mealy mouthed Muther fuker and i survived it with only a slice on the hand and the other guy was knocked unconcious.

I'm always amazed how many kung fu guys have been attacked with knives and left their attackers maimed and unconscious.

Apparently, the FMA arts have it all wrong when they advocate using a weapon to defend against another weapon. They should have just been learning kung fu all along instead.

The Willow Sword
06-13-2007, 07:58 AM
Look, this incident happened when i was 19 and was before i took an active role in kung fu. The situation happened fast and luck and kharma was on my side. At the time i had been taking some shotokan karate and had done a few seminars in aikido.

I was walking home through a Park here in Austin called Northwest park, it was mid morning, there was a guy walking towards me on the sidewalk,seemed normal, as we got closer to one another he said "hey gimme a dollar", and i, hung over at the time replied with my usual belligerancy "get a fukin job", i didnt see the knife he had palmed. he went to slash at my face and i intercepted the blade with my hand and at the same time grabbed his knife hand and moved in and with my free arm tried to elbow his face, he bent down and tried to wrestle me down and i quickly got him in a reverse headlock from the front and fell back and his head hit the sidewalk and that was that. I got up and ran as fast as i could to the neighborhood and kept running until i reached the main street(burnet rd.). I didnt look back. i realized that my hand was cut but not seriously. It was weird because i wasnt scared at the time of the attack but directly afterwards i got the shakes something fierce, i couldnt stop shaking and almost fainted a couple of times.

This whole incident happened within a manner of seconds, i look back on it now and realize that the other guy was inexperienced with a knife but even an inexperienced knife weilder can do alot of damage to you. i believe the knife was one of those smaller pocket jackknifes.
It might seem insignificant to all of you and not one of these hollywood scenarios,but that is what happened to me. I have been in street confrontations since but they were rooster fights and posturing and nothing came of them and no weapons were involved, i have had my @ss kicked and have kicked some @ss in the process.
I felt i needed to respond to knife fighter and Blow Job II and talk about this here because what i am tired of are people like those two professing this all superior attitude because they do all this REAL training and putting down Kung fu or anything that doesnt fly with their brand of training. If you a$$holes have a sour attitude towards kung fu then why in the fuk do you post here on the KUNG FU forums? Post in the "Reality /Street fighting" section or leave this forum and go over to bullshido(if you havent been banned there already).

TWS

xcakid
06-13-2007, 08:35 AM
I'm not gonna get between you 3's argument. I do want to give my 2 pesos though. I believe that since Martial Arts no longer keep up with todays weapons training. Or devise new weapons for combat and we are stuck learning "ancient" weapons that some are no longer feasible in todays age. I mean common when was the last time a MA system came up with a weapon like they do in the old day. IE, hooksword, 9 section chain whip, 3 sectional staff, etc. Nothing as of late to help with todays environment.

I would suggest to anyone, augment your training. I have used these 3 facilities and continue to train with them as finances allow:

www.thunderranchinc.com Only been once, but great instruction.
www.tigervalley.com Have been a few times. Guys that run in has actual street experience gotten from being a cop and a SWAT officer. Lots of situational scenarios and run and gun drills.
http://www.tftt.com/ Have been a few times when I lived in SoCal. They do classes all over the country though. Instructors are from Mil spec forces and also SWAT and one is a Arnis/Kali instructor. All have applied it in real world situations rather than just theories.

To practice these techniques learned, join these groups and compete in simulated situations:
http://www.idpa.com/
http://www.ipsc.org/

I would also suggest a Kali/Arnis to augment your current style. A school that deal with multiple attackers and drill them rather than just classes that have fancy stick waiving techniques.

I believe having firearms training, modern weapons training such as that learned in Arnis along with your traditional MA, make a rounded out system. And will definitely give you a leg up in a street confrontation. What you do with it is up to you, but I can guarantee your survivability is going to improve. Well that and living in a state where you can excercise you 2nd Ammendment right to carry a firearms with you at all times. There are 32 state in the US, so that is not hard to find. And 3 states that is restrictive in concealed carry but you can do it. CA being one of them and NY.

Yeah handing him your wallet will work, but as he leaves call him back. When he faces you, shoot him in the face. Save the cops and the rest of the judicial system time and money from printing out paperwork and looking for this guy who is too lazy to work for a living. :D

Iman01
06-13-2007, 09:03 AM
... I believe that since Martial Arts no longer keep up with todays weapons training. Or devise new weapons for combat and we are stuck learning "ancient" weapons that some are no longer feasible in todays age. I mean common when was the last time a MA system came up with a weapon like they do in the old day. IE, hooksword, 9 section chain whip, 3 sectional staff, etc. Nothing as of late to help with todays environment. ...

Today's weapon training conatains ICBMs, air support, mortars, small arms, tanks, etc. If you want todays weapons training, join a military.

Now if you want to address personal safety techniques... You can't take a gun everywhere. You also cannot take a knife or anything that resembles a weapon to many places. If I want to take advantage of people I will find those without weapons and I will go places where they aren't legally permitted. And last I checked that is a very long list of places even if you have a permit in Texas.

So you train to use what you can take everywhere... your hands, feet, knees, elbow, head, etc. You learn diplomacy and with that you learn that your ego doesn't need a boost by beating up a drug addict thief. You learn how to avoid places where you might get into situations like this. Knowledge is the true weapon.

xcakid
06-13-2007, 09:23 AM
Today's weapon training conatains ICBMs, air support, mortars, small arms, tanks, etc. If you want todays weapons training, join a military.

Been in the military. Already learned to push buttons. :D But how many street thughs you know of carry around an ICBM and can call for air support? C'mon, you know thats not what I am talking about.

Now if you want to address personal safety techniques... You can't take a gun everywhere. You also cannot take a knife or anything that resembles a weapon to many places. If I want to take advantage of people I will find those without weapons and I will go places where they aren't legally permitted. And last I checked that is a very long list of places even if you have a permit in Texas.

You forget I can carry pepper spray, stun guns, kobutan, walking stick and a cane. Heck I can walk around the airport with a kali stick.

Only place I am restricted to carry a firearms in TX is Fed Building, Schools, bars that derived more than 50% of their profits from the sale of alcohol. And even then they have to have proper signage. Oh and gunshows, which I think is hilarious. Work maybe, but its concealed so who the heck knows if I am or not. Other places must have proper state mandated signage and posted on every entrance and exit. Otherwise its not valid. There is a sandwich place by work that put up the proper signs though. I don't go there anymore. Walmart has signs, but they are not the state mandated signs. So they do not apply to me, legally.

You learn how to avoid places where you might get into situations like this. Knowledge is the true weapon.

1000% agree with you. With regards to martial arts self defense, there is no better statement I can think of.

Black Jack II
06-13-2007, 09:44 AM
You can't take a gun everywhere

There are a lot of ccw based states for one, but to get more on the point, the BAD GUY can. Laws don't apply to him as he is a crmiinal so firearm training and its countermeasures is always a good thing to get a grasp of.

You also cannot take a knife or anything that resembles a weapon to many places.

The U.K. yes, but here in America no, following certain base guidlines you can carry a knife with you "almost" anywhere. I know plenty of people that carry a folder as a tool in there pocket, in many different states.

I would also add this location, one of the very best instructors in the world and its been around since the 1970's. Massad Ayoob is beyond excellent and Jim Cirillo if you can get a lesson is beyond experiance.

http://www.midwesttraininggroup.net/registration.htm

Iman01
06-13-2007, 12:32 PM
There are a lot of ccw based states for one, but to get more on the point, the BAD GUY can. Laws don't apply to him as he is a crmiinal so firearm training and its countermeasures is always a good thing to get a grasp of.

The U.K. yes, but here in America no, following certain base guidlines you can carry a knife with you "almost" anywhere. I know plenty of people that carry a folder as a tool in there pocket, in many different states.

I would also add this location, one of the very best instructors in the world and its been around since the 1970's. Massad Ayoob is beyond excellent and Jim Cirillo if you can get a lesson is beyond experiance.

http://www.midwesttraininggroup.net/registration.htm

You need to realize that when a gun is pointed at your face your options are very few. The option that produces the highest likelihood of your survival is to comply with the person pointing a gun at you. You don't need to take a class to learn that.

There are lots of professionals to research and lots of studies done on this topic. I encourage everyone to research this topic on their own. I researched this topic about a year ago....

If your opponent has a knife drawn, the time it takes for you to take your gun out and use it dicatates the opponent is more than 10 feet away. I saw a cool video where they demonstrated what could be done to you with a knife starting at 10 feet. They instructed an officer to draw their weapon, knowing that this person was going to charge when they said go, there just wasn't enough time. I know that when I carry concealed it takes me even longer to draw than if I were carrying on a hip holster. I feel that if someone is more than 10 feet away they really aren't a threat anyway. So that information has made me feel reluctant to rely on any weapon.

The best thing you can do is to not be in those types of situations. There is an abundance of information on the internet that will tell you what things to avoid and how to present yourself to steer clear of this type of situation.

You need to train constantly to be ready to fight from a disadvantage, ie person with a gun or knife. I know that when I am fighting a cold I feel much more vulnerable. But being aware of my surroundings, looking alert, and being friendly to strangers will work no matter how bad I feel.

xcakid
06-13-2007, 01:06 PM
You need to realize that when a gun is pointed at your face your options are very few. The option that produces the highest likelihood of your survival is to comply with the person pointing a gun at you. You don't need to take a class to learn that.

There are lots of professionals to research and lots of studies done on this topic. I encourage everyone to research this topic on their own. I researched this topic about a year ago....

If your opponent has a knife drawn, the time it takes for you to take your gun out and use it dicatates the opponent is more than 10 feet away. I saw a cool video where they demonstrated what could be done to you with a knife starting at 10 feet. They instructed an officer to draw their weapon, knowing that this person was going to charge when they said go, there just wasn't enough time. I know that when I carry concealed it takes me even longer to draw than if I were carrying on a hip holster. I feel that if someone is more than 10 feet away they really aren't a threat anyway. So that information has made me feel reluctant to rely on any weapon.

You betcha. 20 ft rule. Or was is 21 ft, I forgot already. Anyone with a knife(or a club even) within 20ft of you. In a stress situation, you will have difficulty drawing a weapon and present it before the assailant can close distance. As you said it has been proven true many times. The FBI and various other LE agencies have documented this.

I always kept the mindset that I will use MA as much as possible to free myself so that I can use my firearm. That is why I said "augment" MA training with modern weapons training. One person is not gonna walk around with weapons drawn. I guess you could if you have a great lawyer on retainer and tons of money for bail. :D

In a robbery situation though, I keep my gun in the vacinity of my wallet. So I believe(although not tested) I can turn my body to where I partially conceal my drawing weapon and make look like I am pulling out my wallet. Hopefully, I can surprise the assailant enough to get off a couple of shots and move. Again, this is theory but I have practised it, but not with someone shooting back at me. :o Then again, I haven't really broken a knee with a kick, but have practised it many times. :p

Black Jack II
06-13-2007, 01:56 PM
You need to realize that when a gun is pointed at your face your options are very few.

No one is saying this is not true. But as you yourself say there our options. So I am tending to miss your whole point in lew of this. Basic sense is hopefully a starting platform in these hypo discussions.

The option that produces the highest likelihood of your survival is to comply with the person pointing a gun at you. You don't need to take a class to learn that.

I don't believe anyone ever stated otherwise. The point of this post was to see if schools that claim deep traditionalism train for above showcased situations.

So far bar one guy who seems to put something in to his trainnig, we have seen ZERO tcma trying to discuss actual tactics in a educated manner.

Reason is simple, most don't train firearm contact situations to any big degree, its more kwan do and broadsword. The info is in the silence.

I encourage everyone to research this topic on their own. I researched this topic about a year ago....

Excellent advice. I have trained with firearms, shot for fun and hunted for what seems like ages and have done my own research for a number of years.

If your opponent has a knife drawn, the time it takes for you to take your gun out and use it dicatates the opponent is more than 10 feet away.

Your speaking only in one context. Studies show a large deal of civilan firearm self defense situations take place within 5 feet with the firearm out and used succesfull. I can post all sorts of cases where civilans have defended themselves with a firearm, even though this is NOT what the post topic is about.

To peg someone into one situation is missing the boat.

The best thing you can do is to not be in those types of situations.

100% eveyone agrees. It's just that you can't always predict the outcome of when these situation can take place or not, no matter how much you apply situational awareness and pre-conflict training, sometimes bad sh!t happens.

msg
06-13-2007, 02:13 PM
[QUOTE=PangQuan;769625]suppose the attacker wants your wife/GF instead of your wallet?

do you hand her over?

you just tell your wife a few words well baby it was fun while it lasted ...

Iman01
06-13-2007, 02:37 PM
I have looked at my material and found techniques that would also work in defending against an armed attacker. The issue I have with parading those techniques as a way to defend against an armed attacker is they are very high risk to the practitioner. You are dealing with a person that has a deadly weapon and a simple mistake, miscalculation, or a higher skilled attacker than you predicted, could cause your death. You are better off settling the situation without "fighting" them.

In reference to kidnapings, date ugly people, noone will want to take them from you. ;) :p

RD'S Alias - 1A
06-13-2007, 06:21 PM
The U.K. yes, but here in America no, following certain base guidlines you can carry a knife with you "almost" anywhere. I know plenty of people that carry a folder as a tool in there pocket, in many different states

Reply]
I "Allways" have a small folder on me (Gerber Gatormate). I have even forgotten it was there and passed through the metal detector and into the Dupage courthouse (505 county farm road for those of you in my neck of the woods).

Every morning I make sure I have it on me. I have been carrying this particular knife so long that I just don't feel right with out it.

So, I got into an altercation last year at a bar... and didn't even think to use it until it was all over. Honestly, it all happend so fast that I don't think I would have had time to get it out anyway. Deflecting the attacks, side stepping, and adjusting my attacker's trajectory head first into the 8 foot/350 lbs bouncer seemed a faster, and more immediate solution.

If things had gone really bad, I am sure by the time i realized I was in serious trouble it would have been too late to pull it anyway, if I even remembered it was there.

xcakid
06-14-2007, 07:15 AM
In reference to kidnapings, date ugly people, noone will want to take them from you. ;) :p

Ya know, I keep telling women they should date my ugly ass, and they will never worry about paying for ransom. They never buy into it though. :(

RD'S Alias - 1A
06-14-2007, 09:16 AM
I have no problem *Getting* dates, or even girlfriends...my problem is that they all go nuts after being with me for a while...:(

xcakid
06-14-2007, 09:48 AM
I have no problem *Getting* dates, or even girlfriends...my problem is that they all go nuts after being with me for a while...:(

So that explains all the girls I have been out with lately. Quit sending them down here.

Shaolinlueb
06-14-2007, 11:03 AM
I'm always amazed how many kung fu guys have been attacked with knives and left their attackers maimed and unconscious.

Apparently, the FMA arts have it all wrong when they advocate using a weapon to defend against another weapon. They should have just been learning kung fu all along instead.

kung fu trains weapons vs weapons. im sure fma learns disarming when you are unarmed.

PangQuan
06-14-2007, 11:39 AM
I personally carry my knife anywhere. In my pocket.

i dont care if i am allowed to or not, (metal detectors aside of course). I figure if for some reason someone checks my pockets??!?!? then ill deal with the reprocutions then and make sure i am armed ALWAYS.

god bless America :D

http://www.fernknives.com/columbia-river/m16-13z-zytel-combo-serrated-edge/1317/index.html

this is my friend, blade opens nearly on its own and has a lock. carried in my pocket, usually in my hand as its a habbit to have my hand in that particular pocket holding my knife. i spend about 50% of my time at home drawing and opening it. if im at my computer desk i have a peice of wood i stab after i open the blade, just to assure if i ever need it i can open it with the ease of taking a breath of air.

RD'S Alias - 1A
06-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Wow!! And i thought I was neurotic because i have to roll a dime between my thumbnail if i am sitting!

PangQuan
06-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Wow!! And i thought I was neurotic because i have to roll a dime between my thumbnail if i am sitting!

ok, ya im protecting myself, your just nuts :p;)

sanjuro_ronin
06-14-2007, 11:59 AM

Its a MA thing...
I phoenix-eye my cars steering wheel as I drive.
Knife hand anything I can reach.
Shadow box in the kitchen
And I have a HB downstairs and every time I go downstairs, no matter the reason, I have to go 1 round on it.
NO MATTER WHAT !!

My wife says I have issues that should be addressed by a professional.

PangQuan
06-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Its a MA thing...
I phoenix-eye my cars steering wheel as I drive.
Knife hand anything I can reach.
Shadow box in the kitchen
And I have a HB downstairs and every time I go downstairs, no matter the reason, I have to go 1 round on it.
NO MATTER WHAT !!

My wife says I have issues that should be addressed by a professional.

just tell her the only professional that can help you is a professional ass beating :p

sanjuro_ronin
06-14-2007, 12:10 PM
just tell her the only professional that can help you is a professional ass beating :p

I tried the professional "masseuse" thing, yeah...that went over real well !

Ass beating is about right !

PangQuan
06-14-2007, 12:23 PM
I tried the professional "masseuse" thing, yeah...that went over real well !

Ass beating is about right !

:D

lol, and if your like me you prefer the woman to rub you down!

i'm sure that went over real well with the wifey

sanjuro_ronin
06-14-2007, 12:43 PM
:D

lol, and if your like me you prefer the woman to rub you down!

i'm sure that went over real well with the wifey

Women, no sense of humour.

PangQuan
06-14-2007, 12:50 PM
lol, still funny :D

sanjuro_ronin
06-14-2007, 12:54 PM
lol, still funny :D

Just mention once about a rub-n-tug and they never take their eyes off of you !

**** my lack of ninja skills !

PangQuan
06-14-2007, 01:06 PM
lol. its cause your so darn smooth with the ladies

sanjuro_ronin
06-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Smooth like 2 day old beard stubble !