PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Swallow Style

ittokaos
06-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Good Afternoon,

This is about Tiger Swallow Fist.

I have been playing the Virtua Fighter series for many years and I have never really cared about the styles that the characters fought with until recent years.
(It's gonna be one of those questions.)

Now, the character of Lau Chan uses a style called Koen Ken in japanese but it is translated (Loosely i'd imagine )to Tiger Swallow Fist in english. I originally assumed that it was a fake style that was especially created for the game. However, recently I've found that not only was it a real style but that the creator went and researched each style individually before putting them into the game. '

Futher research into this matter (playing shenmue 2 as well as surfing the net) has revealed that it is a style that exsisted long ago but was "banned " due to the fear that it caused. It also revealed that it is derived from Yanqing Quan which also known as Mizong Quan(Huo Yuan Jia's style (Jet Li in Fearless)).

My question(s) is: Is this an actual style? Did it exist at all and if so who still knows it? Is the game pretty true to the style? Is it still being taught?

I understand that no one may have an answer to this question but I that I would try to see what I find.

Thank you all for your help

WF

David Jamieson
06-12-2007, 04:40 PM
games and movies that are for entertainment are not educational and are true to nothing but their own form.

even when they are "based" in some other thing, doesn't give them truth.

MasterKiller
06-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Tiger Swallow Fist is a set of forms, derived from N. Praying Mantis, but practiced by a lot of Long Fist schools as well.

Little Tiger Swallow (xiao hu yan chaun) is the original form, and the Big and Middle sets were invented much later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0NKHVvGUS0

RD'S Alias - 1A
06-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Actually, it's Premantis built on Tai Tzu Hong Chuan according to my research.

MasterKiller
06-12-2007, 06:28 PM
blah blah Tai Tzu blah blah blah

Sal Canzonieri
06-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Tai Tzu Set 1
Tai Tzu Set 2
Mai Fu set
Mai Fu Set 2
Xiao Hu Yan

and others from the Northern Mantis are all Shantong Long Fist sets that Han learned in Shandong before he moved to Taiwan. They aren't the Mantis sets in his system.

They are all variations of the same material that arrived in Shantong from Shaolin monks that moved there between 1760 and 1800s.

It's pretty much all sets from Tai Tzu Hong Quan.

jigahus
06-14-2007, 09:25 PM
blah blah Tai Tzu blah blah blah

For some reason I LOL hard at this. Thanks.

unkokusai
06-14-2007, 09:43 PM
Good Afternoon,

This is about Tiger Swallow.

Oh yeah! I knew this gal from Chicago once who was a master at that style! :cool:

Shaolin Wookie
06-16-2007, 06:14 AM
My brother just got a PS3, and he has this game. Of course, I used the Shaolin dude right away (actually, after I used the drunken guy...hahaha). I noticed that he uses the same postures and movements SD guys use in their 3 bird forms (learned at brown belt). I'm still trying to get answers on what these birds are exactly.....but that character in the game, Lei Fei (or something) uses the same broken leg stance, and palm down fan finger thrusts we use in those forms. And, of course, he fights from a cat stance with both palms facing the floor, fingers fanned out. I've never seen it anywhere, except in those 3 Shaolin-Do bird forms.

My brother couldn't figure out why I thought that was so cool, but it was, b/c those are my favorite forms. I wish there was a system based solely on them.:(

It also looks like he breaks into the classic Lohan style as well.

MasterKiller
06-16-2007, 06:19 AM
My brother just got a PS3, and he has this game. Of course, I used the Shaolin dude right away (actually, after I used the drunken guy...hahaha). I noticed that he uses the same postures and movements SD guys use in their 3 bird forms (learned at brown belt). I'm still trying to get answers on what these birds are exactly.....but that character in the game, Lei Fei (or something) uses the same broken leg stance, and palm down fan finger thrusts we use in those forms. And, of course, he fights from a cat stance with both palms facing the floor, fingers fanned out. I've never seen it anywhere, except in those 3 Shaolin-Do bird forms.

My brother couldn't figure out why I thought that was so cool, but it was, b/c those are my favorite forms. I wish there was a system based solely on them.:(

It also looks like he breaks into the classic Lohan style as well.

:rolleyes:

Shaolin Wookie
06-16-2007, 06:34 AM
Roll your eyes all you want, but it won't change the fact that some video character in a virtua fighter game does the same stuff I do in three of my forms, and fights from the same ready stance. I'm not saying it's SD. Just, he uses the same stuff we're doing, and I'm trying to find out what kind of bird that is. If it's Tiger Swallow, cool. It's no big deal, for sure. But it's still pretty cool.

I can see why you'd get so huffy.:rolleyes:

It's a video game, dude.:p Get over it.

xcakid
06-17-2007, 09:32 AM
This is about Tiger Swallow Fist.

I dated this girl a while back. She was a bit of a TIGER in bed and well....ya know....:p She knew that form quite well. Although she didn't use her fist much.

B-Rad
06-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Tiger Swallow Fist is a set of forms, derived from N. Praying Mantis, but practiced by a lot of Long Fist schools as well.

Little Tiger Swallow (xiao hu yan chaun) is the original form, and the Big and Middle sets were invented much later.
Read that it's pulled from mizong quan (as that was one of the styles that went into mantis). I learned a mizong quan version of this form (or something very similar from mizong quan). Was only told that it's "mizong quan" but it looks a great deal like little tiger swallow fist form from mantis, so I assume they're related. I never heard of a seperate style called tiger swallow fist, but I suppose it wouldn't be a stretch for a mizong subsystem to come about using the name from their forms (or maybe the other way around, who knows).

I haven't played VF since the Dreamcast, so I couldn't really say what exactly the video game style is inspired by.

tattooedmonk
06-17-2007, 11:08 AM
Roll your eyes all you want, but it won't change the fact that some video character in a virtua fighter game does the same stuff I do in three of my forms, and fights from the same ready stance. I'm not saying it's SD. Just, he uses the same stuff we're doing, and I'm trying to find out what kind of bird that is. If it's Tiger Swallow, cool. It's no big deal, for sure. But it's still pretty cool.

I can see why you'd get so huffy.:rolleyes:

It's a video game, dude.:p Get over it........They are their own system, one of the oldest . I have seen many of the moves from those forms in other styles and systems , especially Fukien styles( precursor to karate). They are still some of my favorites after learning over a hundred forms in SD.

Master killer has issues( period) with SD but knows almost nothing about US.

tattooedmonk
06-17-2007, 11:11 AM
games and movies that are for entertainment are not educational and are true to nothing but their own form.

even when they are "based" in some other thing, doesn't give them truth.so what you are saying is that it is purely coincidental and has no merit??

Shaolin Wookie
06-17-2007, 12:02 PM
.......They are their own system, one of the oldest . I have seen many of the moves from those forms in other styles and systems , especially Fukien styles( precursor to karate). They are still some of my favorites after learning over a hundred forms in SD.

Master killer has issues( period) with SD but knows almost nothing about US.

Just bothered to look it up. Wikipedia has a listing for the character of Lei Fei, the Shaolin monk. They said his moves were reminiscent of Shorinji Kempo and Okinawan Karate, which were taken from the Fujien styles. I figure I should content myself with that. Fukien and Okinawan connection.

It's interesting how they're not crane, though.

It could be worse: they could be the deadly duck style.:D

tattooedmonk
06-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Just bothered to look it up. Wikipedia has a listing for the character of Lei Fei, the Shaolin monk. They said his moves were reminiscent of Shorinji Kempo and Okinawan Karate, which were taken from the Fujien styles. I figure I should content myself with that. Fukien and Okinawan connection.

It's interesting how they're not crane, though.

It could be worse: they could be the deadly duck style.:D Crane, duck, eagle ,phoenix,etc they are all birds. I have to agree that it is surprising that they are not cranes.