PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical KF question between CLF and LF.

xcakid
06-13-2007, 08:56 AM
OK, taking into account we are talking applications of forms found in Long Fist and Choy Li Fut.

Should they come across one another, fighter of same skill, build, etc. basically a twin of one another. Just using forms found in ther respective system, which one would:

1) be deceptive in their execution of their application against the other system
2) have the simplicity of application with optimum effectiveness

I am just trying to compare the 2 systems(personal research), and it seems we have some practitioners of both styles here and can probably expand my knowledge.

Please discuss.

msg
06-13-2007, 02:17 PM
most likely choy.li.fut would win not saying any thing bad about long fist i just think it lacks power compared to chuy li,fut and easyer to perdict and see whats coming from the long fist

SifuAbel
06-13-2007, 02:26 PM
oh boy................. :rolleyes:

djcaldwell
06-13-2007, 03:02 PM
Wow never really thought of it before but as someone who does both I have to go with CLF basically because of its utilization of both long and short techniques.

As far as being more deceptive in execution I have to give it to CLF by far with simple combos like siu kau da / chaap / jung. As for general simplicity in application I have to go with the PC statement of the application appear simpler when they are understood.

I started with the LF and it gave me a great foundation and helped start the mold, but as far as a complete system and effectiveness I'm leaning towards the CLF.

Although honestly, at this stage I have combined everything into...well...me and I use techs from both.

Fu-Pow
06-13-2007, 04:56 PM
One significant difference that I see is that longfist is more linear whereas CLF is more circular both in terms of hand technique and footwork. As to whether the circularity makes it more "deceptive" I don't know?

Also, I believe that long fist emphasizes the 3 external harmonies whereas CLF doesn't share a similar concept.

(And just for the record I studied CLF for 10 years and learned a little bit of long fist in my earlier Hung Gar days....specifically, the "youth fist" two man set.)