PDA

View Full Version : Computer question - help!

IronFist
10-24-2001, 05:41 AM
Alright guys, I know someone here can help me. It's nothing serious, just bloody annoying.

I'm running Windows ME on an Hewlett Packard 800MHz P3. Here's the deal. When you boot up, you know how you can hit ctrl+alt+del and it will show you a list of every program that's running? Well, there's this program called "msbb" that is always running upon startup, and while this is running, I cannot launch Microsoft Internet Explorer. I double click the MIE icon, and you can hear the program loading, but the window never shows up. Once I hit ctrl+alt+del, however, and chose to "end task" to msbb, the browser pops up.

Two questions,

1. What he hell is "msbb?"
2. Why is it messing with my MIE?

Thanks computer guys!

Iron

Johnny Hot Shot
10-24-2001, 05:46 AM
Check This (http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm#Select) and This is good (http://microsoft.net/ms.htm) You can safely uncheck all of them. If you run into problems start msconfig again and recheck them. No harm done.

Good luck.

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
Jacko Jackson

Ozihn
10-24-2001, 05:47 AM
well being the computer geek I am....i have no clue, i don't use Windows ME :( sorry. But there is a way to make it not come up. Lemme go get ME and figure it out (i use linux)

GGL
10-24-2001, 05:56 AM
Sounds like you have a bad case of spyware. Spyware is a program that pops up advertisements or sends user stats to another location for "statistical research".. they suck A$$. They are usually installed in file sharing programs like napster, Kazaa, ect. go to Start-->Run--> type msconfig (this will only work for 98 or ME). In the startup section uncheck the program you don't want to run. say NO to restarting and go find a folder called n-case and delete it.. reboot and this should fix your problem

Hope this helps

IronFist
10-24-2001, 06:13 AM
Oh ****e I have spyware up the arse!!! I'm connected by ethernet, which means I'm never technically offline (unless I shut down the computer).

When I come home from class there's like 50 popup ads on my screen. I hate it. Let's see if I can get rid of this now. Thanks, I let you know if it works.

Iron

gazza99
10-24-2001, 06:31 AM
If this msbb is a progrom you can find out by going to run on your start menu-type in msconfig
it will pull up a box, click the startup tab, and look for msbb, if its their and checked then you uncheck it so it does not come up at startup. and if you right click you can click on its properties and find its location and delete it.
Hope that helps
Gary

"Of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong"-Dennis Miller
www.pressurepointfighting.com (http://www.pressurepointfighting.com)

Xebsball
10-24-2001, 06:35 AM
Cool :)

When i wanted to remove something i typed regedit and had to do a ass painfull search for the running program. This msconfig is much easier.

-------------------------
"You will never need to feel weak, helpless, indecisive, not fascinating or ashamed of your genital dimensions. GOOD-BYE Humiliation. Bullies, Karate Experts, Boxing Champions, traffic wardens will melt to pulp as you master every situation."
Master Deltoo
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Stadium/2477/

soy
10-24-2001, 06:48 AM
There is a company called Lavasoft.. They make a program called Ad Ware. It scans your computer for ad ware and removes it for you. It's very nice :)

IronFist
10-24-2001, 07:41 AM
Thanks guys, I just did the msconfig thing and got rid of msbb. I think I will check out Ad Ware just to make sure.

Thanks for your help,

Iron

Johnny Hot Shot
10-24-2001, 07:58 AM
:cool:

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
Jacko Jackson

Wongsifu
10-24-2001, 01:15 PM
Now we know who the hardcore p0rn surfers are on the forum :D

Yeah right its kazaa that installs all that adware , hehehehe , not that i know from experience its just something i heard

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

a_nonny_mouse
10-24-2001, 04:57 PM
And it ROCKS!

A Nonny Mouse, doing Nonny Mouse things