Nick Forrer
06-13-2007, 07:04 PM
thought some of you might like this

http://www.roydeanacademy.com/movies/thepurple.mov

Knifefighter
06-13-2007, 10:25 PM
thought some of you might like this

http://www.roydeanacademy.com/movies/thepurple.mov

I prefer the old days when the instructor just threw the belt at the student after a hard sparring session.

Personally, I don't think demonstrating and rolling with cooperative partners does a whole lot to showcase one's skills. I think that is best done in full sparring sessions and competitions.

Seems to me this is just one more step in the commercialization of BJJ.

sanjuro_ronin
06-14-2007, 05:24 AM
I prefer the old days when the instructor just threw the belt at the student after a hard sparring session.

Personally, I don't think demonstrating and rolling with cooperative partners does a whole lot to showcase one's skills. I think that is best done in full sparring sessions and competitions.

Seems to me this is just one more step in the commercialization of BJJ.

Agreed.
Things have changed a bit since my time in BJJ, then again it was less "sport bjj" oriented so...

Knifefighter
06-14-2007, 08:17 AM
Agreed.
Things have changed a bit since my time in BJJ, then again it was less "sport bjj" oriented so...

BJJ has always been "sport" oriented. Even before there were full on open competitions, the Gracies always competed to determine a current family champion.

The competition aspect is supposed to be representative of a fight, hence the point system for improving positions that would be advantageous in a fight.

sanjuro_ronin
06-14-2007, 08:32 AM
BJJ has always been "sport" oriented. Even before there were full on open competitions, the Gracies always competed to determine a current family champion.

The competition aspect is supposed to be representative of a fight, hence the point system for improving positions that would be advantageous in a fight.

When I did it, it was VT oriented, don't ever recall being told how many points a sweep was...