PDA

View Full Version : the future

BruceSteveRoy
06-14-2007, 08:16 AM
Sadly, I'm old enough to remember how the traditional martial arts world went nuts over "kickboxing" (then called full contact karate). You HAD to pull the techniques because if you didn't, someone was gonna die!!!!! Well, after Joe Lewis, Bill Wallace, Benny the Jet, Don Wilson all did their thing people realized that reverse punches don't make heads explode and side kicks don't rupture internal organs

Dear lord, this is 2007, we've had full contact karate, we moved on to Thai boxing, then the early bare knuckle UFC's, now we're living in the modern MMA era....

It's sad to see that some people don't move forward....

i took this quote from a different thread bc it made me start thinking about the the future. lkfmdc makes a good point about the changing nature of competition fighting and i am curious if anyone has thoughts on the direction it is heading in the future. what changes do you all think will be made in respect to style, and rules? and what changes would you all like to see made and why?

RonH
06-14-2007, 08:37 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see an increase in the restrictions of rules during the fight and initial qulifying to try to push people to increase their skills and with better understanding just what happens to people are in regular fights to keep them from getting too serious injuries.

sanjuro_ronin
06-14-2007, 08:37 AM
i took this quote from a different thread bc it made me start thinking about the the future. lkfmdc makes a good point about the changing nature of competition fighting and i am curious if anyone has thoughts on the direction it is heading in the future. what changes do you all think will be made in respect to style, and rules? and what changes would you all like to see made and why?

IF MMA gets big enough, I would like to see an amateur division and a pro division, so we don't get some of the sub-standard crap we see now.
I would like to see maybe shorter rounds for more intensity, things to motivate the fighters to fight more and stall less.
I think the quality of the fighters should improve with time so there is really no way to do anything about that per say.
The MT/KB is doing fine, no real need for much changes there I don't think.

SevenStar
06-14-2007, 08:49 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see an increase in the restrictions of rules during the fight and initial qulifying to try to push people to increase their skills and with better understanding just what happens to people are in regular fights to keep them from getting too serious injuries.

I wouldn't expect to see an increase in rules and restrictions. I would expect to see increasing levels of skill though, quite obviously. I don't think the general skillset is going to change anytime soon, either - mt / boxing and grappling.

GeneChing
06-14-2007, 09:32 AM
There are two things I'd love to see evolve in MMA. One is weapon fighting. Real gladiator style. The other is battle royales. IFL is fine with its team fights, but I'd love to see it not one-on-one but three or more fighters in an every-man-for-himself ala WWE. That would be some excellent entertainment.

sanjuro_ronin
06-14-2007, 09:42 AM
There are two things I'd love to see evolve in MMA. One is weapon fighting. Real gladiator style. The other is battle royales. IFL is fine with its team fights, but I'd love to see it not one-on-one but three or more fighters in an every-man-for-himself ala WWE. That would be some excellent entertainment.

And lions too ?

xcakid
06-14-2007, 09:49 AM
I hope they don't go old school and throw in Catholics. I would be in trouble.

PangQuan
06-14-2007, 12:20 PM

Fully.

I would like to personally see more actual "No Rules" fights being ressurected.

MMA is cool, but the rules suck.

I am starting to see a large and larger distinction between what i would call a fighter and what i now call an MMA athelete. Sure they fight, but with rules further conditioning the training requirements, more and more people will become these MMA Atheletes.

Namely guys who have never trained in fighting and START in MMA, training under rule sets and not paying much attention on self defense aspects. These guys are crazy Atheletes, but I dont know if they think as dirty as your average street/prison/gang fighter would....

lkfmdc
06-14-2007, 12:24 PM
IF MMA gets big enough, I would like to see an amateur division and a pro division, so we don't get some of the sub-standard crap we see now.

A set of amateur MMA rules, different than pro rules, designed for beginnners to get experience has already been accepted and implemented in a number of states, the most influential being the very powerful NJ state athletic control board....

BruceSteveRoy
06-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Fully.

I would like to personally see more actual "No Rules" fights being ressurected.

MMA is cool, but the rules suck.

yeah if it was no rules he should have at least brought an axe :)

this is my response to anyone who says that there should be no rules fighting :p

BruceSteveRoy
06-14-2007, 12:30 PM
A set of amateur MMA rules, different than pro rules, designed for beginnners to get experience has already been accepted and implemented in a number of states, the most influential being the very powerful NJ state athletic control board....

never underestimate the power of the garden state

lkfmdc
06-14-2007, 12:31 PM
I"ve decided, a huge ratings getter would be a sport where you throw magazine editors to the lions, especially those of Chinese descent :D

PangQuan
06-14-2007, 12:34 PM
this is my response to anyone who says that there should be no rules fighting :p

maybe i should add no rules empty hand fighting....weapons would be a different section of course.

the weapon fighting section. no need to mix it with the empty hand fighting :p

so i guess its 1 rule fighting. no tools other than your body and a pair of shorts/pants.

PangQuan
06-14-2007, 12:40 PM
Gene needs to win the lottery, buy an island, and hold an underground secret Death Match challenges. Oh, and provide me with life time passes.

sanjuro_ronin
06-14-2007, 12:45 PM

Good start, now if we can find a way of keeping the crappy ones from the pro ranks...

sanjuro_ronin
06-14-2007, 12:46 PM
I"ve decided, a huge ratings getter would be a sport where you throw magazine editors to the lions, especially those of Chinese descent :D

Even lions have standards.

PangQuan
06-14-2007, 12:55 PM
rofl

that was funny gene

AmanuJRY
06-15-2007, 06:20 PM

Bring back Pankration!

No biting, no eye gouges, that's it!:eek:.........and no lawyers.:D

AmanuJRY
06-15-2007, 06:27 PM

Capitol idea!....what do you call KOTC, etc.

would like to see maybe shorter rounds for more intensity, things to motivate the fighters to fight more and stall less..

I'm the opposite. No rounds, no stand-ups, one time limit...finish before sundown.:cool:

boshea
06-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Gene needs to win the lottery, buy an island, and hold an underground secret Death Match challenges. Oh, and provide me with life time passes.

Wasn't there a Bruce Lee movie about that?

"You have offended my family and you have offended the Shaolin Temple..."
--Bruce Lee