PDA

View Full Version : 8- Energy T'ai Chi Chuan Health & Self Defense Seminar in Columbia MD

Sifu Moore
06-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Tai Chi Chuan is the father of all the martial arts. Come to this intensive workshop where we will cover an eight posture form that is that provides the basis for all styles of Tai Chi Chuan. The movements consist of variations on eight basic themes: ward off, roll back, press, pull-down, push, split, elbow, and shoulder strike. This workshop will be an intense exploration of the meaning, application, and methods of training these eight skills. This seminar is suitable for anyone, regardless of your martial arts background.

Your instructor, Lao-shi Kelly Martin, has studied T'aijiquan for over two decades and is a certified Master level practitioner of the Chen Style of T'aijiquan, he is a Sijo(founder of his own style), and is the owner and chief instructor at Self-Care Arts in Colorado Springs, Colorado. What you will learn:
• Eight posture short form
• Self defense applications for the postures/energies
• Gain a deeper understanding of your own style of martial art, by understanding the underlying energies in it.

When:•Saturday June 30th
• 1:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Where:
•Columbia Wing Chun Academy & Martial Arts Center
10400 Shaker Drive 2nd Floor Suite #7
(Atholton Shopping Center)
Columbia, MD 21046
(410) 772-8095
Cost:
• $99.00 if registered by JUNE 22, 2007
• $120.00 at the door.

RESERVE YOUR SPACE NOW!! PRE-REGISTER BY PHONE OR EMAIL!!! For more details:
OR EMAIL TO: columbiawingchun@comcast.net

Walter Joyce
06-14-2007, 12:39 PM
I'm just curious what the basis for your statement that "taiji is the father of martial arts" since there is no historical or factual basis for that claim.

Don't get me wrong, Taiji is great when done correctly, but father of all martial arts?

I think there would at least be some Shuai Chiao people that would debate this claim, not to mention all the martial artists from other countries that can easily point to native arts that pre-date taiji. I make no claims to being an historian on Chinese martial arts, but aren't the earliest claims about the origins only going back to the 1600s. What about the martial arts that came before that?

And setting aside history, what about arts that are based on completely different principles, surely taiji is not the father of these?

There are people here who know far more than I do, when you start an announcement with a claim that can't be substantiated what does that do to your credibility?

Three Harmonies
06-14-2007, 01:05 PM
Walter-he is "sijo" founder of his own style. What gives you the right to question sijo-sifu-guru-master-sensei type people, when you are simply.....Walter??;):D

I was curious about the other 5 principles of Taiji's 13 principles!?!? No stepping I suppose???

Jake

Dale Dugas
06-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Master is a word that many people seem to have misunderstood. Too many people seem to want add this moniker in front of their names rather than master the martial arts themselves.

It is commendable that Shifu Kelly has been studying for a while and has a firm understanding.

Using the word master when your own teachers are light years ahead of you in skills and wu de is assanine and rather distasteful.

Be well,

Dale Dugas

Three Harmonies
06-15-2007, 08:32 AM
Very true Dale. Sifu/shifu and master are the most overused terms here in the west. Almost everyone I have ever talked to that has trained in China said that they NEVER use these terms (unless the teacher has been westernized), but just call them teacher, "Laoshi."
Sifu/Shifu should only be used by students that have been accepted as a disciple, hence the term "teacher / father." Even then I do not call my teacher "Shifu" just Mr. Hu, or Hu laoshi! I call Tim, Tim, because that is his name ;) and he is totally not into the title thing.
The ego is a funny thing. People need to do more research over here instead of just blindly doing something because someone told them too. Sadly many believe because they call their teacher "sifu" it makes him more legit! :o
I wrote a long paper on discipleship ceremonies and these types of things for those interested. It is on my site under articles. www.threeharmonies.com

Cheers
Jake :cool:

Three Harmonies
06-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Mr. Moore closed down the thread on the Kung Fu forum before anyone could post anything! Wonder why?
I am still curious to here about this Si Jo founder of your own style thing, especially since you are barely 40 years old!?!?! What style did you create?
Jake :cool:

Scott R. Brown
06-29-2007, 04:24 PM
I have it from a pretty reliable source that Sinanju is the sun source of all other martial arts. It is Korean and all other forms of martial arts are but mere shadows of this one true martial art!!

Three Harmonies
06-29-2007, 05:19 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes: