PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Choy Lee Fut Master Passes Away

firepalm
06-15-2007, 01:42 AM
Choy Lee Fut Grand Master Wong Ha passed away this week at the age of 90. Grand Master Wong Ha was a true poineer in the Vancouver Kung Fu scene and started teaching Choy Lee Fut in Vancouver's Chinatown back in 1966, in the Hon Hsing Athletic Club and later at his school, the Wong Ha Athletic Ass'n.

Master Wong Ha was originally from Guangdong, China and first learnt under 3rd Generation CLF Master Chan Yiu Chi & then later under his senior classmate Tong Shek, when he left China for Hong Kong.

In his many years of teaching in Vancouver Grand Master Wong Ha was one of the most prominent Sifus of his time and certainly a pioneer of Kung Fu in Canada. Master Wong Ha also produced many fine students, several of whom carry on teaching CLF style to this day, including Peter Wong, Hilbert Yiu, Tony Lee, Gary Seto, Keko Wong, Richard Wong, Kim Wong and many, many more.

Master Wong Ha is survived by his wife, five children and many grandchildren. Master Wong Ha will be sadly missed.

Fu-Pow
06-15-2007, 09:00 AM
That's too bad.

I remember performing my double swords at a school opening in Richmond where Wong Ha was present and sitting next to my Sifu.

I made a slight error and my sifu called me out on it. I said, "oh come on nobody noticed."

He said "I noticed and the old man noticed."

Classic.

FP

Golden Arms
06-15-2007, 09:19 AM
Wong Ha was a nice guy from the few times I met him. Sorry to hear that.

mantis108
06-15-2007, 10:58 AM
My deep and sincere condolences to his families (both personal and martial).

I met Ha Suk in China town during the early 80s mostly during and between the lion dances. To me, he had an impressive old school presence that distingushed him from others.

I am sorry to hear that he passed away. It's a lost to the Chinese community and closing of an interesting chapter in the Vancouver Kung Fu scene.

Sincerely,

Robert Hui (Mantis108)

X_plosion
06-19-2007, 08:06 AM
Condolences and prayers for him and his loved ones.

FlexChan_
06-20-2007, 01:09 AM
Choy Lee Fut Grand Master Wong Ha passed away this week at the age of 90. Grand Master Wong Ha was a true poineer in the Vancouver Kung Fu scene and started teaching Choy Lee Fut in Vancouver's Chinatown back in 1966, in the Hon Hsing Athletic Club and later at his school, the Wong Ha Athletic Ass'n.

Master Wong Ha was originally from Guangdong, China and first learnt under 3rd Generation CLF Master Chan Yiu Chi & then later under his senior classmate Tong Shek, when he left China for Hong Kong.

In his many years of teaching in Vancouver Grand Master Wong Ha was one of the most prominent Sifus of his time and certainly a pioneer of Kung Fu in Canada. Master Wong Ha also produced many fine students, several of whom carry on teaching CLF style to this day, including Peter Wong, Hilbert Yiu, Tony Lee, Gary Seto, Keko Wong, Richard Wong, Kim Wong and many, many more.

Master Wong Ha is survived by his wife, five children and many grandchildren. Master Wong Ha will be sadly missed.

hes actually 89....my sifu and the rest of the students were gonna give him a big lion dance performance as a present....but now that hes gone ='(

ill be attending his funeral this coming saturday and will be 1 of the lion heads leading the coffin.