PDA

View Full Version : Book Review: The Path To Athletic Power by Boyd Epley

bodhitree
06-15-2007, 05:07 AM
The Path to Athletic Power (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780736047012&itm=1)
Boyd Epley

I found this book to be an excelent resource for both athletes and coaches. The book is probably more beneficial to a coach but many sections will be equally beneficial to the athlete.

Epley presents his information and backs it up with results from studies on athletes in very plain and easy to understand language. He presents a very scientific approach to training and contends that science should override tradition in athletic training. He knows many coaches have football players running for distance, when the average football play lasts for less than 6 seconds.

Some of the more important information in the book can be found at www.huskerpower.com . This information includes the 10 principles (http://www.strengthdisk.com/pdf2/4856.pdf?ATCLID=32033&SPSID=105465&SPID=43&DB_OEM_ID=105) of athetic conditioning. He provides many examples of how different conditioning strategies employed have turned teams around. He also covers creating a program and how to set up the ideal training station.

Like I said earlier, a lot of the information Elpley deals with is for coaches, but atheltes can learn from it also. Epley touches on how to motivate atheltes (in training, life choices, and everything else) and many other interesting topic.

I would recommend this book for anybody who wants a basic introduction to athletic training. Good read.

sanjuro_ronin
06-15-2007, 05:17 AM
Not bad, but from the "10 points" I read, he seems to have forgotten the most important - Specificity.

Maybe he assumes everyone knows that one.

bodhitree
06-15-2007, 05:27 AM
9. Train the correct energy system

Remember, his job is to deal with conditioning, not technique. He doesn't teach football players football or volleyball players volleyball, he gets them in condition for those games.

sanjuro_ronin
06-15-2007, 05:33 AM
Remember, his job is to deal with conditioning, not technique. He doesn't teach football players football or volleyball players volleyball, he gets them in condition for those games.

And what better way to get CONDITIONED for a specific sport than, the sport.
But I understand what you mean -
Conditioning a 100 meter sprinter to run 1500 is NOT the way to go.
I guess Specificity is present there.