golden arhat
06-15-2007, 05:23 AM
tai ki ken which is japanes for taiji i think at least

vs kyokushin

good fight

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IkC35VbWGvw

sanjuro_ronin
06-15-2007, 05:28 AM
A prime example of what happens when you get used to fighting not only within a ruleset, but fighting the same style.

The kyokushin guys were "confused" by the different "shapes" that were present to them.

In theory, the "hard training" kyokshin guys should have made mincemeat of the taikiken guys.

Not the case.

Edmund
06-15-2007, 05:29 AM
That's the wrong characters for taiji.

sanjuro_ronin
06-15-2007, 06:03 AM
That's the wrong characters for taiji.

That's not the point.

dleungnyc
06-15-2007, 06:07 AM
Taikiken is the Japanese version of Yi-Quan, its not Tai chi.

tjmitch
06-15-2007, 08:35 AM
Pretty entertaining.

Fu-Pow
06-15-2007, 08:56 AM
That's not Taiji.

cjurakpt
06-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Taikiken is the Japanese version of Yi-Quan, its not Tai chi.

yes, and the way in which they train, move and fight are all obviously influenced by that fact; in other words, I'd surmise that many (not all) of their contemporary Chinese i quan brethren would not have faired nearly as well...

this is a good site
http://www.taikiken.org/

sanjuro_ronin
06-15-2007, 10:45 AM
That's not Taiji.

Nope, you are right, these guys actually fight.
:D

RonH
06-15-2007, 04:29 PM
And when you can end a fight without fighting, you rule. :p

Therefore, taijiquan rules! ;)

Mr Punch
06-15-2007, 05:49 PM
A prime example of what happens when you get used to fighting not only within a ruleset, but fighting the same style.

The kyokushin guys were "confused" by the different "shapes" that were present to them.

In theory, the "hard training" kyokshin guys should have made mincemeat of the taikiken guys.

Not the case.Some of the taikiken guys train near enough as full contact as kyokushin. They punch really f'in hard.

And yes, it's Yi Quan...

These are good fights I think. They're hard but there are no rules that would take them out of their comfort zone enough to make it look like generic MMA. I.e. if there was grappling, shooting etc they wouldn't be able to stick to their favoured stances and strategies. However, the fact that it is bareknuckle and both sides can take and give out a lot of punishment means that it doesn't look like a) and average brawl or b) generic kickboxing a la K1. Anyone who doubts the level of contact/intensity would be welcome to try, and post a vid... there were a couple of top-level kyokushin guys in there.

Fu-Pow
06-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Nope, you are right, these guys actually fight.
:D