PDA

View Full Version : Whats is called when you lift like this?

Royal Dragon
06-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Whats it called when you do a dead lift, and in the same motion clean, squat down and do a militarty press as you stand back up (so knees straighten same time as elbows)?

TaichiMantis
06-16-2007, 02:06 PM
clean and jerk (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/CleanAndJerk.html)?

Royal Dragon
06-16-2007, 02:10 PM
No, it's not that becasue the arms and leggs do not extend with syncronised timming. And you sort of switch your feet into a bow stance.

What I am talking about is when you squat down after you clean, and you rise up extending both the arms, and legs at the same time, in one motion so the elbows and knees extend simotaniously.

The clean and jerk seems more explosive, and not as syncronised in it's timming.

What I am describing is an oldtime strongman exercise for building raw full body power.

Royal Dragon
06-16-2007, 02:12 PM
The clean and jerk seems to take advantage of momentum a bit too, the one I am describing does not. It's smooth controlled all the way through the motion.

The second half is like combining a squat, and a military press into one motion.

Mr Punch
06-16-2007, 05:24 PM
this is a bit different ot what you describe but maybe you are talking about this:

Deadlift + clean + military press + front squat + military press + rear squat + military press + return weight DL style...

Which is Samurai Jack's friend [drumroll]... The Renegade Bear!!!

TaichiMantis
06-16-2007, 07:46 PM
snatch? (http://youtube.com/watch?v=N1-IHIVh5vY)

after that, the only other one I can think of is clean and press...

Royal Dragon
06-16-2007, 08:06 PM
It similar to the snatch, only the legs extend at the same time as the arms all in one motion.

SevenStar
06-16-2007, 08:49 PM
It similar to the snatch, only the legs extend at the same time as the arms all in one motion.

probably some snatch variation. where did you see it?

yenhoi
06-17-2007, 02:56 AM
squat thrust?

crossfit does em all the time

:eek:

RD'S Alias - 1A
06-17-2007, 08:49 AM
probably some snatch variation. where did you see it?

Reply]
I was searching online a few days ago on the subject of Oldtime Strong Men. I had followed a chain of links and found a really good online article about the strongman training form the late 1800's, early 1900 and how those guys were doing lifts that wold be impressive even today, BEFORE there were steroids, protein shakes etc.. All they had was good natural training.

The lift I am describing was explained in detail in that article. I can't find the article anymore, so I was hoping if I had the name of the lift, I could google it that way.

Samurai Jack
06-17-2007, 11:34 PM
That's a Clean and Press.

The Clean and Press combines a power clean and a push-press.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Name=Power+Clean

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Name=Push+Press

Unfortunately, many people confuse the Clean and Press with the Power Clean, which may explain why you've not been able to find much info on the net. I find mixed reviews myself, but no matter what you call it, it's a great exercise.

Royal Dragon
06-18-2007, 05:56 AM
That is closer!! The difference being that the one I saw does more of a squat, and has different timming, but otherwise it's pretty much the same.

In the Clean & Press you showed, the legs are finished with their movement before the arms start, in the one shown in the Old tim strong man artical they happened at the same time. Infact that artical really seemed to stress that the legs and arms move at the same time and rate of speed so they both reached full extension at the exact same time. They stressed that this is how one developes raw full body power, by useing everything (all muscle groups) all at once, and not in seperate motions.

I fond this very interesting because it's the same sort of timming and principals found in Wai Lun Choi style body mechanics....so of course I lose the artical....

IronFist
06-20-2007, 09:38 PM
You probably just found an old variation of the Clean and Press. It probably wasn't a competition Clean and Press, but some old time strongman's version of it.

It's probably like someone who is familiar with the side press finding an old book talking about the bent press or something. I dunno.

Some of those old books from the early 1900s are pretty cool.

Erasmus Mingatt
06-20-2007, 11:58 PM
Actually someone almost hit it on the nail.

1st part: deadlift
2nd part: power clean and jerk
3rd part: standing press

Royal Dragon
06-21-2007, 07:29 AM
There is no Jerk part to it though, it's done in a smooth motion, at a medium pace, not fast and choppy. The way the artical described it, i picture it all being done at a slightly quicker than Tai Chi pace.

God, i wish I could find it again!

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-26-2007, 10:35 AM
i think maybe you just found a vid of someone doing a full clean and jerk with good technique and making the accent and the jerk all one motion. full oly lifts are caught in a squat position as its the only way to keep adding weight after a certain point.

Royal Dragon
06-26-2007, 11:16 PM
It wasn't a video, but a digitized artical about the lift where it showed diagrams in sequence. It stressed doing the lift slowly, and making the legs and arms finnish thier extensions at the exact same time.

I have not seen anything that does this yet.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-27-2007, 08:27 AM
my guess would be just an exercise the oly guys do to work different parts of the movement. like schwoons. i could be wrong though.

Royal Dragon
06-27-2007, 08:33 PM
I think the goal was to work ALL parts of the movement at one time.