PDA

View Full Version : JKD

k2square
12-20-2000, 06:01 AM
Did most of the JKD stylists learned other martial arts before they go to learn JKD??

Knifefighter
12-20-2000, 10:57 PM
I would say about half of the JKD guys I have known came from another martial arts. The other half began their training in JKD. It was my first "martial art", although I did have wresting background. Interestingly enough, it actually seems to me that there is a higher percentage of BJJ guys (at least in the U.S.) who have a background in other disciplines first.

DragonzRage
12-21-2000, 02:26 AM
From what I've seen, JKD guys come in two varieties:

Many start JKD as experienced practitioners of martial arts who simply feel like taking a more freestyle approach, or supplementing their knowledge with additional strategies and working with different ranges.

Others were simply inspired to begin martial arts training by Bruce Lee's ideas and philosophy of the martial arts.

I would be of the first variety.

There is only one martial art.

Kyoshu
12-21-2000, 04:05 AM
Cool sig.

Kyoshu

Jaguar Wong
12-21-2000, 05:11 PM
Knifefighter,
If you don't mind my asking. What other styles do you have under your belt. You don't have to give a detailed description (how long) or anything if you don't want to. You can email me if you don't want to post it here: jaguar@superaction.com

Whenever I talk to a friend of mine that trains at the Jsect Academy here in Vegas, he always refers to the guys in class by their former styles (oh that's the Kung Fu guy. That's the wrestler. That's the Muay Thai guy, etc). So when you brought up your last point I just got a kick out of that.

As far as JKD guys coming in with previous knowledge.....I dunno, I just didn't want to post anything too irrelevant to this thread :)

Jaguar Wong
www.superaction.com (http://www.superaction.com)

Knifefighter
12-22-2000, 12:03 AM
Jaguar:
I started with wrestling for about 5 or 6 six years- competed in high school and a trained a bit in college. Then a friend of mine talked me into learning what he called a "real street-fighting art"- JKD. I trained in this for about 10 years. During this time (although the JKD curriculum also included these) and after, I did some specific training in wing chun, Filipino stick and knife fighting, Muay Thai, and boxing. I competed a bit in boxing and Muay Thai. For the last six or seven years I have been concentrating on training and competing in BJJ, Dog Brothers type stick/knife fighting and the occasional mixed martial arts competition.
ˇ