PDA

View Full Version : Serious Question for Wah Lum people?

mickey
06-18-2007, 07:24 PM
Greetings,

I noticed the thread regarding the number of forms the Wah Lum has and it made me think for a moment. Rather than contribute to that thread I wanted to address those practitioners who really love that style. Here it comes:

How many of you have taken the time to learn the complete Lee family Tam Tui system that Grandmaster Chan has? It has always appeared to me that Tam Tui is the heartbeat of your style. Who is making the sacrifice to keep that style alive for another generation?

How many of you focus on the core forms of Wah Lum?

mickey

Chop Socki
06-18-2007, 08:05 PM
A reasonable question - and I'll assume you're asking it with good intentions, rather than to stir up trouble, so I'll respond with the same intent.

Wah Lum, as it is generally offered now, is not an a la carte system, where one picks and chooses the material he's interested in from a menu of options. After several years of basic 'foundation' study which is pretty consistant across schools, the system broadens and a student has more flexibility to select things that best fit both his interest and his size, body style, etc. - always limited, of course, by the knowlege of their instructor.

The system is certainly diverse, in that even at low levels, some of what you'd learn has its roots in Tam Tui while other stuff shows its mantis heritage, but what you've framed as a 'sacrifice', or a desire to master one aspect of the system because you see it as the 'true core' is not accomplished as easily as checking off the 'I want to master Tam Tui before you show me a mantis claw' box on the application form.

As I've said in other posts, I believe that it is a mistake to make assumptions about a system based on the habits of a few individual practitioners that you might be exposed to; with that in mind, I'm certain there are many students (and I count instructors among them ;) ) who are doing their best to retain the integrity of every aspect of the Wah Lum system.

I hope this response was serious enough for you. :D

Regards,

- CS

mickey
06-19-2007, 04:27 AM
Hi Chop Socki,

Thank you for your response. I am not trying to stir up trouble.

mickey