PDA

View Full Version : Question did Bruce Lee invent focus mits?

Leopard
12-20-2000, 07:05 AM
A JKD student once revealed to me that Bruce Lee invented focus mits. Is that statement a correct one? Is there anyone here who can give me some more input on the subject?

DragonzRage
12-20-2000, 11:39 AM
Boxers have been using focus mitts for an eternity! So unless Bruce Lee invented western boxing, your friend is wrong.

There is only one martial art.

Kung Lek
12-20-2000, 05:50 PM
no he did not invent focus mitts.

go to a movie store and rent "the harder they fall" with Humphrey bogart.

this movie is from the forties and has a "focus mitt" scene or two in it where the boxer is training.

peace

Kung Lek

Sean Madigan
12-20-2000, 09:17 PM
Hi,

I have heard that Bruce is credited with martial artist using the "kicking Shield" that has become very popular.

I really don't know if he invented it or not, but I DO know that he did come up with some good equipment. I beleive that the first 'kicking shield' that he used was a high school Football tackling shield.

All the best,

BIG Sean Madigan

www.bigkd.com (http://www.bigjkd.com)

harley
12-21-2000, 11:35 AM
No i do not think he invented focus mitts, however he was one of the first martial artist to use them, until that point most Karateka used makiwara and such, he was one of the first to find new ways to develop his techinques on a variety of training aids.
Yes Sifu Inosanto did bring home a football tackeling shield to practice kicks on (he was a football coach) and Sifu Inosanto is also credited with other training aides such as the "fighting man dummy" from I and I sports. many many things came out of their revolutionizing the training equipment at hand.
harley