PDA

View Full Version : Learning from a DVD

Hitman
06-21-2007, 02:40 AM
How did you learn to perform any kung fu form from a DVD?

I am having a problem trying to learn a form, while watching the screen (especially if the demonstrator is not performing it at slow speed). I did most of the thing wrong. However, I can learnt it from a book.

How did you learn it from a DVD?

Thank you
Hitman

bodhitree
06-21-2007, 04:39 AM
As long as the DVD is from the right place (http://www.martialartsmart.net/DVD_Demo_Instructional.html), I see no problem with it.

Becca
06-21-2007, 06:43 AM
How did you learn to perform any kung fu form from a DVD?

I am having a problem trying to learn a form, while watching the screen (especially if the demonstrator is not performing it at slow speed). I did most of the thing wrong. However, I can learnt it from a book.

How did you learn it from a DVD?

Thank you
Hitman
You remeber how in grade school they used to make you memorize those goofy chants, like "My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pickles" to remember the order of the planets?

I do that with forms, make a sort of poem that lists the order of the techniques. It doesn't help with the fine details, but if you take the form out and work it regularly, the details will come back on thier own. I doesn't mater if you don't know the proper name of each technique or sequence. I have a self defence I do know the proper name for, but I remeber it best as "monkey punch, turn and punch".

xcakid
06-21-2007, 07:50 AM
So far I have only RE-LEARNED forms from videos. I have been contemplating on taking one of them distance learning courses though.