PDA

View Full Version : self defence techniques that work

still_learning
06-22-2007, 04:50 AM
Hi All,

Wondered if anyone had links to clips of self defence moves that are really applicable to daily life - not just the ones where a person steps forward and punches.

I was looking for defence against punches and kicks. Knife defence i am interested in too - even though i would generally say to get away, knowing something could be useful as sometimes you may just not be able to.

thanks all.

sanjuro_ronin
06-22-2007, 05:04 AM
Hitting people works well, so does throwing them on the ground, choking them works great too.
Stabbing, hitting with sticks and of course, shooting people always goes a long way.

bodhitree
06-22-2007, 05:34 AM
This thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37222) has a lot of good information regarding self defense.

Self defense will involve things that will make it so you can remove yourself from the situation (rather than stay and fight). Martial arts and self defense are NOT the same, and in some way I think the martial artist in me would be counterproductive to self defense. If I am confronted with a situation, rather than remove myself, my ego may say to me "stay and fight, you've trained to fight, you can kick his ass" and so forth. The best self defense responce would be to avoid any violence and to remove myself from the situation.

Fighting movements are a small part of true self defense. Don't get me wrong, I love to train, I love to spar, and I hope the skills I've learned in training would come in handy, if and only if there were absolutely no alternative to violence.

still_learning
06-22-2007, 07:59 AM
I agree and dont think i would use kungfu in a self defence situation. I am lucky enough to have been able to diffuse any situation i have been put in and walk away - but when the worst comes i think it could be helpful to know what you could do if pinned against the wall etc.

i have never actually been attacked properly so find it hard to think of ways out of scenarios that do happen - not just 'if someone grabs your wrist liek this you do this' when you never get anyone grabbing a wrist like that (wrist used as a loose example).

sunfist
06-24-2007, 03:48 AM
The best answer in self defence is always compliance. But it still takes a lot of drilling to manage your response well and not let the adrenaline take over.

If someone speaks to you agressively, this is a sign that they are probably about to attack you (an evolutionary leaveover from our time as primates). The first thing you should do is turn around and face away from them, this will break eye contact and show that you are no longer a threat, as well as negating his fear of being identified in a police lineup at a later date. Take out your wallet with your right hand and hold your arm out straight, as your attacker may be wishing to mug you. In a slow and unthreatening motion, unbuckle your pants with your left hand and remove them, incase your attacker plans to rape you, then put your left hand on your head and hum to yourself. It can be hard to wait it out, but a good samaritan will soon notice your predicament and contact police to assist you.

Failing at that, hit them in the face. Work your accuracy and work your power on a heavy bag. As you get better at martial arts, more solutions will become available to you, but take comfort in the fact that a lot of people really suck at fighting, and if you hit them in the face they will generally go away. If not, repeat until a satisfactory result is acheived.

Vilmore
06-24-2007, 04:12 AM
haha really good

lkfmdc
06-24-2007, 11:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqtt-b0cmBI

RD'S Alias - 1A
06-24-2007, 12:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bCyIAsSid8&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uld5DW9tH4o

Becca
06-25-2007, 12:11 PM
... not just 'if someone grabs your wrist liek this you do this' when you never get anyone grabbing a wrist like that (wrist used as a loose example).
Sounds like you have never tried out the self-defences in other settings or with other attacks. Generaly speaking, no true self-defence works only in one way; they are very flexable in aplication. BUT... you have to actually practice it live, play with it untill you know it inside and out. Find a practice buddy who isn't goint to "let you" win or attack like a programed andriod and work the bugs out of your technique.

Water Dragon
06-25-2007, 07:18 PM
I am lucky enough to have been able to diffuse any situation i have been put in and walk away -

You already know self defense. Now you just need to learn how to fight.

still_learning
06-27-2007, 03:25 AM
I think a better question may have been 'What types of confrontational/compromising postions have people been involved in?'

That way i could try to replicate those and work out a defence myself.

So any ideas on a general basis about when a would be attacker approaches, what they are likey to do - is it more common for them to just sqare up and want to fight, or grab your jacket and push you against the wall, grab your hand etc.

Thanks

bodhitree
06-27-2007, 06:09 AM
I'm biased, but I would say go to a judo school. In Judo, you'll learn what to do when people grab you or your clothes, you'll learn how to use energy and momentum, you'll get live sparring (randori) against resisting opponents, you'll learn how to take someone down, controll them, and choke them out.

Once again I'm biased.

Shaolinlueb
06-27-2007, 08:37 AM
just pull the lever and the 16 ton weight will fall on him. i learned it in malaya.

here is a video for realistic self defense of weapon vs weapon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl8_bOr6NWk&NR=1

xcakid
06-27-2007, 08:49 AM
shooting people always goes a long way.

I have a Northern Form called GunGoPow and Southern Form ClickClickBang all same-same.

Becca
06-27-2007, 09:53 AM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU1ZtDi_g2I&mode=related&search=) is why No one respects Kung Fu. He won, but then again, he looked like such a poser that it almost didn't matter...:rolleyes:

Fu-Pow
06-27-2007, 10:40 AM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU1ZtDi_g2I&mode=related&search=) is why No one respects Kung Fu. He won, but then again, he looked like such a poser that it almost didn't matter...:rolleyes:

I love that video...can't you just here the music queue up???

"Your the best around, nothing's ever gonna take you down...."

But seriously he dropped that kid with a well executed overhand strike....that's a-nice!

sanjuro_ronin
06-27-2007, 10:50 AM
I love that video...can't you just here the music queue up???

"Your the best around, nothing's ever gonna take you down...."

But seriously he dropped that kid with a well executed overhand strike....that's a-nice!

My issues with those clubbing like "choy li fut" strikes are too numerous to mention.

Fu-Pow
06-27-2007, 10:59 AM
My issues with those clubbing like "choy li fut" strikes are too numerous to mention.

Well let's here a few of them....don't worry I don't do CLF anymore so you won't hurt my feelings none.

sanjuro_ronin
06-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Well let's here a few of them....don't worry I don't do CLF anymore so you won't hurt my feelings none.

Please, my doctor told me to avoid getting upset !
:D

And if you think what he did was a "well executed overhand right", we have two very different ideas of that !

:p

Fu-Pow
06-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Please, my doctor told me to avoid getting upset !
:D

And if you think what he did was a "well executed overhand right", we have two very different ideas of that !

:p

If it knocks someone TFO I'd say that's well executed, wouldn't you?

FP

sanjuro_ronin
06-27-2007, 11:18 AM
If it knocks someone TFO I'd say that's well executed, wouldn't you?

FP

I am a picky Mofu. :D

Well applied haymaker, I'll give you that much, maybe...
I mean, he swung his fist at the guys head and hit him, gotta count for something right?

Fu-Pow
06-27-2007, 11:20 AM
I am a picky Mofu. :D

Well applied haymaker, I'll give you that much, maybe...
I mean, he swung his fist at the guys head and hit him, gotta count for something right?

Oh I see, you want it to look pretty too?;)

sanjuro_ronin
06-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Oh I see, you want it to look pretty too?;)

Or at least have some chi in there !
Is that asking for too much ??

Fu-Pow
06-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Or at least have some chi in there !
Is that asking for too much ??

LOL....!!!

Becca
06-27-2007, 12:46 PM
Watching that video reminds me of watching a kitten trying to "attack" it's mother; every now and then it accidently get's a good pounce that catches mom off guard. The solid conect looked like it was almost an accident. But the fact that he busted out the low stance at a guy for mouth boxing was just sad. The fact that he then chased the mouth boxer around the parking lot for almost a minut in said stance was even worse...:eek::rolleyes:

RonH
06-27-2007, 01:04 PM
I think a better question may have been 'What types of confrontational/compromising postions have people been involved in?'

Take you pick. Me against 1 other, me against a group. They've got actual weapons/makeshift weapons and I don't. A lot of people just really don't like me.

That way i could try to replicate those and work out a defence myself.

Work on your gymnastics. You don't need to be able to do a good set on the uneven bars, but being limber and very flexible all over can help you avoid and/or reduce strikes by being able to move around it, even when a couple limbs are pinned down or against a wall. Remember, the environment is chock full of very heavy, very deadly stationary weapons. The trick is to get them to attack the stationary weapons by evading a strike and letting it hit the stationary weapon, knocking them over and onto/into the stationary weapon, etc.

So any ideas on a general basis about when a would be attacker approaches, what they are likey to do - is it more common for them to just sqare up and want to fight, or grab your jacket and push you against the wall, grab your hand etc.

Most people that fight in a group don't know anything about fighting as a group. They often fall on top of and get in the way of each other. But, there are some that do train as a group. As much as it is a movie, if you look at the fight scene between Neo and the many Agent Smiths in the basketball court in Matrix 2, you'll find severeal sections of that fight to be good examples of actual coordinated attacks of a group against one person. Not all of it is good. Some parts defy the laws of physics and some moves are just basic movie kung fu, but there are some choice pieces.

In some, though not all, many members of an attacking group will loose their nerve, if the apparent leader is taken out, especially if it's done fast. However, there are some that would take it as an affront and get made and attack you as retribution, so you'd have to judge the group at the time.

What attackers/predators often do is pick targets that they see as being weak and easy, but you might run up against those that think that there is enough skill and numbers in their group to take on someone with more apparent skill than any individual of the group.

How they attack and try to control you physically is pretty much any way imaginable. If you've thought of it, they might have, if they are a regular attacker and they've probably thought of other ways, especially when they've been modifying their game plan over time or if they've been attacked more than once themselves.

They will often look and wait for a chance where you are vulnerable and they can easily overpower you. It might be taughting with following you, waiting for you to drop something or get distracted. If you walk with your head head up and you don't give off a sense that you're easy prey, many will leave you alone. Others might still attack you because of their ego, but remember. You've got lots of stationary weapons around you, even if you're out in the country and on a dirt road.

simondo
06-27-2007, 01:31 PM
IMO it's the size of the fight in the dog and not the size of the dog in the fight that's the real important issue in self defence, you may have the deadliest techniques in the world but without the aggression (Karateka would call it fighting spirit) and attitude to back them up you may come unstuck. You must have what it takes to be really violent and in a real situation this isn't easy. Do you have what it takes to gouge eyes out if you have to? THis is a shared opinion amongst many a respected martial artist/fighter. and i'm simply reiterating. What can you do to develop this aggresion is another story. REsearch this and i'm sure you'll find it invaluable.

sunfist
06-28-2007, 02:26 AM
I'm biased, but I would say go to a judo school. In Judo, you'll learn what to do when people grab you or your clothes, you'll learn how to use energy and momentum, you'll get live sparring (randori) against resisting opponents, you'll learn how to take someone down, controll them, and choke them out.

Once again I'm biased.

Secondedstupidtencharacterminimum.

bodhitree
08-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Karate for self defense (http://youtube.com/watch?v=h_vvI26NnwE&mode=related&search=)

not against fruit