PDA

View Full Version : opening of the basic snt stance

crane5
06-22-2007, 05:22 AM
Hi ,since I understood I sould have posted this questions separately so I could get a satisfying answer, Im doing so now.

1. How do you open your basic stance ? If you could describe it in detaile please,
of course it would be helpful to state your lineage.I was training under some derivativ of leung ting lineage lately, and I swiched a bit to Lok Yiu but now I practice on my own.

Some guy earlier said that it is not important how you open your stance, but this is not correct, since I have noticed that if you open your stance for instance with your feet parallel and together, than push your heels out, than push your toes out, and after that push your heels out by turning your feet around your toes (the widest possible basic wckf stance for doing siu nim tau) Different muscle groups of legs get more tension, and over all muscles of the legs get more tension ,than more narrow stances(described below).Which results with changing of the breathing pattern(breathing becomes more difficult, and the abdomen becomes stiffer)

I open in the way that I look straight forward with naturally upright body ,I put my heels together{heels are together, but my feet stand naturally opened(not parallel)}, then I squat( lower my self down with my spine straight) and than I open the toes to the outside, after that I open heels by turning my feet around the balls of my feet, after that I don’t sink my weight and I don’t push my hips forward, I just relax the whole body and let the body to take its natural upright position with spine naturally straight, knees bent, and shoulders down.

Im especially curious about opening the stance in Wong Shun Leung lineage ( very wide stance), and also Lok Yiu , and Yip Man.

If you push your hips forward how exactly do you do it (Please describe the movements, and explain in more common words the terms of tuck your pelvis under, pelvic tilt ect.
And this also arises the question of the biu ma stance ( forward fighting stance) if you push the hips forward how do you do it in forward stance?

And also how do you turn from your basic stance to sideleing stance (turning left and right from your basic stance.)

You would be very helpful if you will give some good and useful answers.

I thank you very much sincerely.
Crane5

monji112000
06-22-2007, 08:01 AM
Wow I didn't really think someone would teach the horse stance without explaining the purpose.

It doesn't really matter how you open.. do you think you are going to in a fight? Its about the distance, how wide a good stable stance is.. its related to the size of your shoulders(ie hips).
Thats why WSL is wider vrs XZY sifu. Its a idea...

crane5
06-23-2007, 11:08 AM
Wow I didn't really think someone would teach the horse stance without explaining the purpose.

It doesn't really matter how you open.. do you think you are going to in a fight? Its about the distance, how wide a good stable stance is.. its related to the size of your shoulders(ie hips).
Thats why WSL is wider vrs XZY sifu. Its a idea... Youve answered in a wery short maner, but you are missing a point here.
Because in this tread it is possible to see allso the basic differences in structure between many schools of wing chun that are present today.

I have to mention that before I was allso pushing my hips forward,( I dont know if I did it correctly) and my abdominal breathiong was shalower and my abdomnen was kind of more pushed in during abdominal breathing, than nowdays when my abdominal breathing is much deaper and the abdomenal wall is more relaxed to the front of the body.

The point is that every Kind of different basic stance effects your breathing in a different maner, thats why I wanted more info about this subject