PDA

View Full Version : The end of wushu???

mokkori
06-23-2007, 12:51 AM
Its not my intention to start anything negative by this thread, but I just want to get the facts on something Ive heard.

I heard that Wushu will appear in the olympics in Beijing... for the first and last time. After that China will drop wushu and turn their efforts on traditional kung fu. Alot was lost in China during the cultural revolution, the the extermination of martial arts, chinese medicine, etc. They now realize the rest of the world is benefiting from these once Chinese treasures and they want back what they have thrown away.

So Id just like to know if this is true that they will be stopping wushu. And if its true that they will be funding traditional kung fu. Anyone heard about this?

Eddie
06-23-2007, 04:10 AM
I dont think so. Sport wushu is easier to judge, since they have set rules and the judges can agree on what they want to see. Theres to much division and ego in traditional martial arts, and every master see only his way as the right way.

TenTigers
06-23-2007, 06:03 AM
also conside rthat China is lightyears ahead of the other Nations' wu-shu teams, most likely they will want to keep it that way. Besides, if you end wu-shu, all those Shaolin Monks and people from USSD will be out of a job.

nospam
06-23-2007, 08:02 AM
Oh hell - McDonald's & 7-11 are always hiring.

Viva le WUSHU!

nospam
:cool:

SoCo KungFu
06-23-2007, 04:13 PM
This was already written about in an issue of KF Mag. Olympic commitee axed wushu in 2008. They are going to hold a wushu world championship in a different venue simultaneous to hosting Olympics but it is not an Olympic sanctioned event. Wushu couldnt standardise their material/rules in time. That and as has been said, they are lightyears ahead of competition. Olympics is SUPPOSED to be about worldwide competition not a blowout. Thats the idea anyways....bobsled anyone?

Nebuchadnezzar
06-23-2007, 07:00 PM
also conside rthat China is lightyears ahead of the other Nations' wu-shu teams, most likely they will want to keep it that way. Besides, if you end wu-shu, all those Shaolin Monks and people from USSD will be out of a job.

Oh so true on all points. :D

Shaolin Wookie
06-24-2007, 07:04 AM
Oh, I don't know about that. I heard the Canadians and Israeli's could give the Chinese a running in wushu.

Shaolin Wookie
06-24-2007, 07:05 AM
Besides, all we'd need is a wushu Dream Team.

Two words:

Chuck Norris.

AJM
06-24-2007, 08:47 AM

Please God, let it be true!

firepalm
06-26-2007, 12:35 AM
Conservative traditional propaganda. Wushu's fate within China hinges not on Olympics or whether or not China is going to promote traditional.

Fact is there has been a conserted effort from within the ranks of both the IWuF & the Chinese Wushu Federation to start more actively promoting traditional but not to the extent of cancelling out Modern Wushu.

China has put far too much time, money & effort to cancel out the Modern Wushu. The fate of Modern Wushu really hinges on whether or not they will continue to include it in the All China Games. At this time Modern Wushu is the only non Olympic sport included in the All China Games.

As well Modern Wushu has just recently been confirmed for officiall inclusion in the World Games (Ted Turner's less commercial version of the Olympics). The World Games will be held in Kaoshiung, Taiwan in 2009. Modern Wushu is also a part of the Asian Games. So it's likely that Modern Wushu will sustain itself & continue on for sometime.

Traditionalist might as well just accept that Modern Wushu is a part of the CMA landscape and concentrate on improving their own standards. Things like the lack of CMA's fighting credibility & percieved poor image really has little to do with Modern Wushu but rather it has more to do with poor substandard traditional instructors out there that are not progressive & innovative enough in their thinking or hard working enough.

My two cents flame on! :D

extrajoseph
06-26-2007, 02:50 AM
IMO, both TCMA and Wushu (and Taiwan’s Guoshu for that matter) have three common ingredients:

1) The art and science of defence and attack, done with
2) Dance like graceful movements in order to
3) Exercise the body for health and longevity.

The final aim is not only be able to defend oneself but to keep fit and to live longer and it can be an effective mean for self-cultivation.

The only difference between TCMA and Wushu lies in the emphasis between items 1 and 2 and because the difference is one of practicality v aesthetics, they do have a good chance to co-exist and they can feed on each other in the long run.

We live in a pluralist society, so diversity is a key to our wellbeing and survival. There is no need to make one die away in order for the other to thrive, both can grow together - the old and the new can support each other and make our MA better and more enjoyable, after all it is “martial ” and “art”, not just go out and kill someone with one king hit; that would be boring, cos I can do it easier with a gun! :D

Shaolinlueb
06-26-2007, 09:03 AM
not all monks are the wushu athletes, heck those guys arent even monks i think most of the time. i am just going to not bother with this.

it would be nice if they did more traditional then that songshang style that every form looks the same.

Buk&Hung Sing
07-07-2007, 02:12 PM
I think it would be best just to separate Wushu and Kung-Fu and educate the public. Wushu is an athletic sport, period; not a fighting art. Traditional Kung-Fu is a fighting art regardless of the practioners' physical ability. Hopefully the Chinese will just make the mandatory forms tighter, like the new sport Karate, with less running around on the stage and more techniques.

Eddie
07-09-2007, 12:22 AM
I actually heared last week that they are still planning to include Wushu Sport in future olympics (2012) along with Rugby and some other sports.

SenseiShellie
07-13-2007, 10:48 AM

I just read this today...lol.