PDA

View Full Version : video: Cung Le vs Tony Fryklund

MasterKiller
06-23-2007, 06:49 PM
http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/4VNHdLVjNy8tYgA45

WinterPalm
06-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Very cool fight. It's nice to finally see someone bringing it with some crazy kicks and different ring presence.

Cung Le versus Anderson Silva would be the fight of all history!:D

BruceSteveRoy
06-23-2007, 09:07 PM
that was an interesting fight. i am a little disappointed that cung le didnt go to the ground. i am curious to see what he does there. but he is always fun to watch. thanks for posting this vid. it was cool.

Mr Punch
06-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Props to Le for his showy kicking skills and pulling them off but I mean, Fryklund went for like, two takedowns, and halfheartedly, to his gut...

Silly.

FuXnDajenariht
06-23-2007, 11:07 PM
yea its like they went in and told him before-hand to make Cung Le look good. i think the announcer was right in saying his ego caused him to make that stupid decision.

i dont know...i just think Cung Le would last too long on the ground. we'll hafta see.

Mulong
06-24-2007, 05:30 AM
Question, is this suppose to be MMA or simply kickboxing?

golden arhat
06-24-2007, 05:59 AM
thats for the fighters to decide

i would have loved to see his ground and pound aswell :(

still awesome kicks huh ? :D

Shaolin Wookie
06-24-2007, 06:07 AM
Hahaha.....it was good to see a pro fighter get the wind knocked out of him by two midsection kicks. I catch those every once and a while, and it's hard, if not impossible, to fight through 'em, 'cuz your head gets light.......

Can't fight physiology, I guess. Fryklund had the same reaction I generally have. Step back, hunch over a little, and eat something to the face.

Nice fight by CL.....very fun to watch. He plays the angles well, and sets up his more risky kicks very well.

Vilmore
06-24-2007, 06:24 AM
hmm nice to see that spinning backfists are used by both fighters, I didn't know they used them in mma.

Shaolin Wookie
06-24-2007, 06:37 AM
gEnerally, they don't. But it seems like the fighters had almost agreed to fight standup only. Kickboxing doesn't work well in MMA. Most fighters would duck the backfist and go for the takedown.

I think Fryklund just wanted to show he could go toe-to-toe against a sanshou guy, on Cung Le's terms.

Bad idea.

I was waiting for the takedown the entire fight.

Not saying CL doesn't have any ground game. I've just never seen it. Anyone have any links to any groundwork on his part?

Shaolin Wookie
06-24-2007, 06:43 AM
Question, is this suppose to be MMA or simply kickboxing?

I've seen plenty of kickboxing-esque MMA fights. I think it's a general rule for show managers to schedule at least one fight that squares off two kickboxers.

1. It's faster, and more exciting, and it gets the fans excited to keep them interested for the whole show.
2. Kickboxing is just visually great when there's fewer rules.
3. It's unpredictable. In the ground game, you can often see what's going to happen seconds or minutes ahead of the outcome.
4. Hard hits. They're fun to watch.

At amateur shows, at least, they like to pit a kickboxer against a grappler. The result usually favors the latter, but I've seen some great kickboxers annihilate their grappling opponents. Man, those fights really stoke the crowd, and pump it up for main events.

ChinoXL
06-24-2007, 09:19 AM
if you take a close look he did attempt to take cung le down several times it's just that cung le has a very good defense against take downs and force the other guy to stand up

bodhitree
06-24-2007, 09:26 AM
I completely agree, Cung Le has some of the best takedown defense, I don't think (in sanshou or mma) I've ever seen Cung Le taken down. His wrestling background helps that out. Cung Le is such an exciting fighter to watch, I can't wait to see some of his fights as he climbs up the ladder.

Kudos to Cung! Always impressive.

ngokfei
06-24-2007, 09:29 AM
Was this a recent fight?

I know the magazines made a big thing about Cung Le going into MMA but I've not heard anything.

How many MMA fights has he done? Won?

boshea
06-24-2007, 09:54 AM
Was this a recent fight?

I know the magazines made a big thing about Cung Le going into MMA but I've not heard anything.

How many MMA fights has he done? Won?

This was last Friday in San Jose (the Shamrock/Baroni fight). I was at this fight, and most of the bouts were pretty good. It was Cung Le's fourth MMA fight (and fourth win by KO).

-b

RD'S Alias - 1A
06-24-2007, 10:34 AM
Where and how can I download this? I'd love to make a study of how he uses his footwork.

golden arhat
06-24-2007, 10:41 AM
if you take a close look he did attempt to take cung le down several times it's just that cung le has a very good defense against take downs and force the other guy to stand up

those attempts at taking him down were LAME i'm sorry but they were so half arsed he might aswell have not done them

RD'S Alias - 1A
06-24-2007, 11:08 AM
Heee, Hee I upgraded my VDOWNLOADER, and was able to save it to my D drive!!! :D

ChinoXL
06-24-2007, 03:16 PM
you know what i just watched it again; his takedowns weren't weak attempts they were legimitiment however, cung was just too strong... look at cung's other videos.. he's a monster after the 3rd attempt (2nd round) he gets punished heavy for it thus that other guy got scared

FuXnDajenariht
06-24-2007, 07:15 PM
I completely agree, Cung Le has some of the best takedown defense, I don't think (in sanshou or mma) I've ever seen Cung Le taken down. His wrestling background helps that out. Cung Le is such an exciting fighter to watch, I can't wait to see some of his fights as he climbs up the ladder.

Kudos to Cung! Always impressive.

naaah. in my opinion those were half hearted take down attempts.

Ben Gash
06-25-2007, 06:42 AM
It can be difficult to make strong looking takedown attempts against a strong, well balanced puncher who uses well disciplined forward aggression. It's part of the reason MMA is getting more exciting and gaining in popularity, there are more first rate strikers, and they're learning how to make their stuff work. If you control the level, control the range and keep up steady pressure, they've got to find a way to get at you without eating solid punches, which isn't that easy. Obviously the very best grapplers will have ways of doing this, but as part of the evolution of the sport the rest will have to catch up.
How many times have you seen someone on a forum complaining that they went to a sub-wrestling gym and all they did was groundwork? Clinching and standing wrestling skills are important, and as strikers become more grappling aware, will become more so. ESPECIALLY when Sanshou is gaining in popularity, and churning out a new generation of kickboxers who are not only grappling aware, but versed in clinching and standing wrestling.

Ming Yue
06-25-2007, 01:17 PM
Link is broken, sadly.

Ben Gash
06-25-2007, 01:27 PM
They took it down, you can find it on youtube.

PangQuan
06-25-2007, 01:29 PM
if you want to see some more of his takedown and ground work watch his previous MMA fights as well.

wasnt he heavy into wrestling in highschool or college or something?

PLUS he has been training MMA/BJJ with a focus for quite some time now.

I think its a great strategy to stay on his feet as long as he can and only go ground if he's forced. Why not stay where you excell?

ChinoXL
06-25-2007, 02:09 PM
thank you ben for supporting my point :D

MasterKiller
06-26-2007, 06:38 AM
Cung Le's wrestling credentials:

1992 All American - 4th Place Espior National Greco-Roman Wrestling Gainsville, FL

1992 State Wrestling Champion State Espior Free-Style And Greco Roman Santa Cruz, CA

1990-1991 Team Captain & State Champion All American Wrestling, West Valley College San Jose, CA

1989 National Wrestling Champion Triple Crown AAU Sambo, Greco-Roman Billings, MT

PangQuan
06-26-2007, 08:51 AM
Cung Le's wrestling credentials:

1992 All American - 4th Place Espior National Greco-Roman Wrestling Gainsville, FL

1992 State Wrestling Champion State Espior Free-Style And Greco Roman Santa Cruz, CA

1990-1991 Team Captain & State Champion All American Wrestling, West Valley College San Jose, CA

1989 National Wrestling Champion Triple Crown AAU Sambo, Greco-Roman Billings, MT

Was finally able to watch the fight. It was pretty entertaining. I always like watching Cung Le fight.

Those are some serious wrestling credentials.

I doubt they were half hearted attempts at a takedown, rather Cung Le knows what hes doing.

I like seeing all my kicks from kungfu thrown in his fights though....textbook.

especially using the sidekick to keep the long range....you just dont see anyone else using that kick very much in MMA.

And further more.....a kick to the body setting up the KO? talk about pimp skills.