PDA

View Full Version : Snow in Joburg

Eddie
06-27-2007, 04:11 AM
Sorry that this is off topic, but was so excited about this that I wanted to share with my friends.

Today, for the first time since September 1981, it snowed in my home town, Johannesburg. About 10 years ago, we had a few snowflakes, but nothing to write home about. I woke up this morning at around 4am, and as it is with us paranoid Joburgers, I did a quick check around the yard (through the windows) to see if everything is ok. Can imagine my excitement when I saw that everything was white under the snow.

Its not as much snow as most of you guys are used to, probably only a mm of snow cover, but exciting for us who has never, or very seldom seen snow.

Some pics attached.

Sorry for wasting your time with this off topic post :cool:

Shaolinlueb
06-27-2007, 08:29 AM
not enough for skiing but wow. that is like the time it snowed in isreal like 10 years ago. it just don't happen often.

gwa sow
06-27-2007, 08:36 AM
hey eddie, its eddie. :D cool to here about the snow. its very hot back here in Florida. One of my favorite movie lines is from a mathew brodrick movie called Biluxie Blues. He's in boot camp comlaining about how hot it is in mississippi. he says " its africa hot. tarzan cant even stand this kind of hot". thats about how it feels here. anyways, quit hogging sifu chow kuerng. send him over here :p
later

Eddie
06-27-2007, 08:56 AM
hehe, florida is a different type of hot - wet and humid. That icky sticky feeling as if you are stuck in a room. Same as Hong Kong. Africa is sunny hot. The sun kill you here, I think thats why we have so many black people :D. Even sifu chow couldnt stand the sun - the heat was ok for him - just the sun.

This is the 2nd time I have seen snow in my 32 years of living. Once was high up in the mountain.

By 12:00 all the 'snow' melted, and they said it probably wont snow again. So, its a rare event down here.

anyways, sifu chow left about 2 weeks ago. He did call me today tho, we are bussy planning an event which will feature Gordon Liu and Anthony Wong for next year, but I cant say too much about it now. Plan is to invite a good few (as many as what the sponsor allow) to come and perform at the event, and obviously I will get Sifu Li and handsome Joe involved. Tho everything is just in the infant stage, but things look like it might just happen. As soon as the sponsor sign the deal, I will start letting everyone know. Perhaps this is just the excuse you and CLFNole need to come visit my hood :)

gwa sow
06-27-2007, 09:22 AM
after seing lethal weapon 2 and blood diamond. i love to hear the south africa accent. hehe. definatley would like to go check it out over there.

nospam
06-27-2007, 05:19 PM
wow

nospam
:cool:

Eddie
06-28-2007, 05:18 AM
south african accent is a killer amongst foreign chicks :). But lethal weapon two wasnt exactly south african. the chick was ducth (they have a more german sound than afrikaans) and the 'afrikaans' they spoke breifly on there was very foreign sounding. Joe said I sound gay ... hehe... ok, didnt use those words, but thats probably waht he was thinking. I can do a mean forrest gump accent tho

funny weather we have. yesterday it snowed. Today its pretty warm. no trace of any snow.

gwa sow
06-28-2007, 07:11 AM
did you see blood diamond?

Fu-Pau
06-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Leonardo did okay with the accent, much better than the mob in lethal weapon! Even though he was playing a Rhodesian not a Saffer (so I guess you could say he did a pretty good job). Most of the other actors playing South Africans in Blood Diamond were South Africans anyway. So I’m sure they helped him with the slang etc.

Eddie
07-01-2007, 10:52 AM
just watched blood diamond now. Leonardo did a good job actually. He even threw out a few typical local slang words and had the pronounciation right on.

Sad movie indeed.