PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun Fut?

Shadus
06-27-2007, 03:18 PM
What do you know about Wing Chun Fut, if anything? Eddy Mau (american name), or Mau Chang?
Master Lee in Raytown MO?
kungfulifestyle.com (http://kungfulifestyle.com) for reference.

I am curious, because it seems to be a not very well known but very effective branch, and the only Wing Chun in the KC area.

t_niehoff
06-27-2007, 04:20 PM
It's a waste of time. Mau and McField were in St. Louis for a time, and I've seen some of his guys and well as one of his demos. Mau claims to have learned Yeun Kay San WCK but from what I've seen, he's misrepresenting his "credentials" (if it is YKS WCK, it is some of the worst I've seen). McField's WCK is on par with Mau's, and he has his own personal issues that you'd be wise to avoid.

Shadus
06-27-2007, 08:45 PM
I've not met nor fought Mau, only heard of him from students, but I have fought Lee. I'm not sure what you saw, but I know what I dealt with. He fought very slowly and yet I never even had a chance of touching him. In many years of Marine, Cop, Karate, TKD, JJ and recreational weapons training and sparring I've never seen a fighter with that level of skill. I've seen and fought many with a lot of skill, but not like that. I was wondering if it was all personal skill, usually the case, or was it at least in part that style.
I'm capable of coming to my own conclusions, though you may have a poor opinion or a high one; I'm usually interested in hearing more.
Thank you for your response, and any others that respond as well.

t_niehoff
06-28-2007, 04:41 AM
I've not met nor fought Mau, only heard of him from students, but I have fought Lee. I'm not sure what you saw, but I know what I dealt with. He fought very slowly and yet I never even had a chance of touching him. In many years of Marine, Cop, Karate, TKD, JJ and recreational weapons training and sparring I've never seen a fighter with that level of skill. I've seen and fought many with a lot of skill, but not like that. I was wondering if it was all personal skill, usually the case, or was it at least in part that style.
I'm capable of coming to my own conclusions, though you may have a poor opinion or a high one; I'm usually interested in hearing more.
Thank you for your response, and any others that respond as well.

You asked about his WCK -- and I told you, it is crap. Whether he can point-fight well using other stuff wasn't your question. And I'm sure you can come to your own conclusions, but that doesn't make your conclusions knowledgeable or informed (especially about WCK).

YungChun
06-28-2007, 04:55 AM
I am curious, because it seems to be a not very well known but very effective branch, and the only Wing Chun in the KC area.

The only "Real" Self-defense school in the USA!

Well that says it all doesn't it? :rolleyes: :o

YungChun
06-28-2007, 05:05 AM
You gotta love this stuff...

From that page..

=================

· First of all, if you are seeking self-defense, then test the self-defense skills of the instructor before paying any money or signing any contracts. A real life self-defense instructor can demonstrate their skills without staging or choreographing a technique. If the instructor hits you with force—causes pain—then you have an instructor of attack tactics. A master of self-defense won’t have to hurt you to control your body and show a clear counter attack into a vital spot. If you find an instructor who won’t engage, what more do I need to say? How does one get paid on skills that they refuse to demonstrate?

· Let me reiterate this point clearly—Any instructor who has to hit and hurt you to demonstrate his/her expertise is not teaching self-defense. This is a sign of a lack of defense ability, a lack of self-discipline and self-control, and a disregard for the honor and responsibility of power.

In our Federation, higher ranked students are taught the responsibility of controlling their power. They are prohibited from hitting lower ranked students. When a student learns how to defend without having to injure the opponent, it not only gives them greater options in a fight, but promotes a positive image of Kung-Fu. It takes less skill to be destructive.

:eek::rolleyes::p:o:(

donbdc
06-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Hello,
I am currently a CRCA rep. I rarely write. I am only interested in learning WC.
However I started my studies w/ Sifu MC Field an meed Eddy Ma while in college.
In fact I spent a lot of time w/ Eddy and found him to be a miserable lying two face SOB!
However his student Robert was and is a wonderful person. I am glad for the opportunity I had to train w/ him. He is a phenomenal athlete and a great fighter!
As far as Sifu McField's Wing Chun: Eddy told me he didn't show Robert the real stuff b/c he was black! This was after Sifu McField spent all of his savings to bring him here.
B/c of Robert's athletic abilities he took the lmited wing chun and Choy lee fut and turned it into a wonderful fighting system.
Bruce Lee didn't have the whole system either and look what he did!
Any one who has the oportunity to study w/ Sifu McField is blessed. He will pour his whole heart into you and teach you regardless of race or creed!
I studied w/ him for 3 years and I never saw any one touch him, ever!
We fought a lot, itwas a bad section of St. Louis all types showed up and it was about fighting no B.S.!
Well this is just my exprience, 20 years ago.
I had to speak out I was there and I know the people mentioned.
Take Care and say Hi to Sifu McField

Shadus
06-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Terence, if you noticed my question was: What do you know about Wing Chun Fut (WCF), and Ma and Lee, not how is Lee and Ma’s WCK. Which doesn’t seem to be much beyond: what I saw decades ago was not what I do therefore its crap. Thank you, donbdc, for your enlightening 1st hand response. And Terence, even though your response was bad-mannered, at least you offered your opinion from a first hand perspective; I do appreciate the input behind the condescension. If you had explained your position with something beyond mere disdainful adjectives, I would be more inclined to take it seriously.
From my own first hand experience I can say that donbdc’s perception of Lee the man seems right on. He is a good man.
But I was, though not clear enough in my questioning perhaps, trying to learn more about WCF. And I did learn its history, thanks again, but it is a short history and unproven over time. So is it a good system? I cannot look to Master Lee for the answer. Once you’ve touched hands with him it is impossible to ignore the phenomenal skill the man has. But, is the system he has created worth serious study and years of dedicated training? The man himself may have legendary skill but can that skill be passed on? Is the system the embodiment of that skill that can be a vessel with which to pass it on? You see, I don’t care how it was created or how similar or different it is from other systems, other than natural curiosity, I care what it is now.
So how do you find out before dedicating years of study? I think the answer is in the students. How well do the students fight? How are their skills, regardless of natural talent, and what have they learned? How have the performed?
Answer: They seem very accomplished. Even the intermediate students seem more accomplished than instructors at most other schools.
I can’t say for sure, but it seems from the evidence so far that WCF is a good system, probably even a very good one. Time and training will tell of course. But from what I’ve seen thus far, it is worth the effort to study it.

t_niehoff
06-29-2007, 04:31 PM
Why do you come on to a wing chun forum to ask how his own, made-up martial art system is? I didn't say what I saw was "decades" ago. Their WCK is crap. His "system" is built on crap. It's all fantasy-based. Anyone with sense can see it in what he says on his website.

Besides that, he's bad news.Do you want to know how many of his students he got hooked on crack? No, I'm not joking. Want to know why he left St. Louis? Ask him.

Be careful when you pick your heroes.

Shadus
06-29-2007, 07:30 PM
Terence, Terence, Terence. I suddenly feel like I'm on a play ground and you just want to point fingers and call names. I don't care if Johnny is picking his nose and eating it, I can see him right there playing tetherball with my own eyes.
I was trying to be respectful to you, but boy you make it hard.
In answer to the one semi-decent question you asked. I just learned that it was recently (as in the last 30 years) created from what donbdc said. So I was reasoning some things out in that last post. Before that I didn’t know, which is why I asked here, and I got a good answer. So it seems it was a good idea.
Made up style? Weren’t they all at one time? I’m sure Ng Mui caught some flak too. And from all I can see with my own eyes and feel with my own hands, you are wrong. If you don’t think so then visit his school. He’s a very nice guy and would probably welcome you as he does everyone that visits. See for yourself the results his system creates.
You seem like an intelligent person, from what few other things I’ve read. I was hoping for more… class I guess, or maybe just some intelligent or at least thoughtful responses as apposed to what I got, which was crap. I’m done listening to your poison, I feel sorry for you with the hate you have to carry around inside each day.
I wish you the best, even though you can’t seem to wish the same on others.

I came here for wisdom and would have died of thirst had I not moved on.

Thanks again donbdc.

planetwc
06-29-2007, 11:25 PM
Check out the pictures on http://kungfulifestyle.com/pics/school/school.htm

Look at the captions for the photos and look at the structure of the instructor AND more importantly the students.

All you need to know is there....

Liddel
06-29-2007, 11:53 PM
Look at the captions for the photos and look at the structure of the instructor AND more importantly the students.
All you need to know is there....

God Damm, thats some poor structure ! :eek:

The "Wing Chun Fut, On Guard Position" is interesting.

It looks more like British CQB guard position rather than VT. :rolleyes:

WTF ?

t_niehoff
06-30-2007, 09:04 AM
You came on this forum asking about Mau -- and I told you that I've seen him and his WCK, and he's crap. I left out that I also previously heard (via Don) that he had his "issues." I've also seen McField and his students. McField's WCK is crap. He "invented" his own system - based on WCK - since he couldn't make his WCK work. What he is doing now is just more fantasy-based crap. If you believe he can fight, have him fight a decent MMA fighter (someone with some skills) his size and watch him get his ass handed to him. And while his fantasy fu is bad enough, even worse is the sort of person he is -- I know what sort of things he's done with and to his students. It's not hate, I just recognize a snake for a snake, and treat it as a snake. I am a crimial defense attorney and I was fully aware of the problems McField encountered prior his leaving St. Louis. I genuinely feel sorry for the people who associate themselves with him. Some may assoicate with him out of ignorance, not knowing what they are getting into. I've done what I can to warn you. Unfortunately, I've found that people like McField, with his problems, attract a certain group/type of persons who are similarly "damaged" or predisposed. Like attracts like. As I told you, pick your heroes carefully.

anerlich
06-30-2007, 05:37 PM
As I told you, pick your heroes carefully.

Amen to that.

Those photos are ... unusual. Note also the finely tuned athletic conditioning of the students.

CFT
07-02-2007, 02:03 AM
Those photos are ... unusual. Note also the finely tuned athletic conditioning of the students.Well, in any amateur, non-competing, club you're bound to get a range of body types. The criteria for photos that a club puts up might be different to others. You might want to only select the best shots of the best students or you might just take a snapshot on any given day. The "elitist" approach might put off prospective students, but the converse could be true too.