PDA

View Full Version : Building endurance

boshea
06-28-2007, 12:14 AM
I used to run. Not daily, but at least a couple times a week, and it kept my endurance up. However, my knees are not what they used to be and running on pavement seems to aggrevate them.

So, I am looking into other options, which include running on dirt trails (there are good trails about 5 miles away that I could hit before work), or bicycling (25 mile rides with about 2000 feet of climbing, or longer rides with less climbing; lots of good routes around here). I usually only ride on weekends.

So, my question for all you martial artists is this: what do you do for conditioning and endurance training? What have you found to be most effective and least damaging to your aging joints?

Thanks,
-brian

bodhitree
06-28-2007, 04:11 AM
I ride my bike around, mostly for transportation though.

For endurance I: do interval training at home, free rolling (specific sport activity is probably best to develop endurance for that sport), other sports (tennis, frisbee)

sanjuro_ronin
06-28-2007, 04:29 AM
I used to run. Not daily, but at least a couple times a week, and it kept my endurance up. However, my knees are not what they used to be and running on pavement seems to aggrevate them.

So, I am looking into other options, which include running on dirt trails (there are good trails about 5 miles away that I could hit before work), or bicycling (25 mile rides with about 2000 feet of climbing, or longer rides with less climbing; lots of good routes around here). I usually only ride on weekends.

So, my question for all you martial artists is this: what do you do for conditioning and endurance training? What have you found to be most effective and least damaging to your aging joints?

Thanks,
-brian

There is conditioning - body forging
There is cardiovascular endurance.
There is muscular endurance.

Toby
06-28-2007, 05:01 AM
HIIT (http://www.trainforstrength.com/Endurance1.shtml)

sanjuro_ronin
06-28-2007, 05:03 AM
HIIT (http://www.trainforstrength.com/Endurance1.shtml)

HIIT and especially the Tabata protocol/ method, are advanced a cardio workouts that are also/even more so, anaerobic in nature.
Not for the beginner or timid of heart.

bodhitree
06-28-2007, 05:07 AM
It does depend on your goals. I know you do muay thai, if this is the case work the same energy system you use in muay thai. Train in intervals, 2 minute rounds of shadowboxing, jumping rope, heavy bag, burpees.

Although they may not directly relate I like playing other sports, both for fun and additional conditioning. I figure it can't hurt, plus its fun.

Toby
06-28-2007, 05:09 AM
Just finished mine :).

Besides, he asked what do I do for conditioning and endurance training.

I like the duality of the Tabata protocol. For me it gives both anaerobic and aerobic fitness. The first couple of sets are anaerobic, moving to progressively more aerobic especially after the 3rd.

sanjuro_ronin
06-28-2007, 05:19 AM
Just finished mine :).

Besides, he asked what do I do for conditioning and endurance training.

I like the duality of the Tabata protocol. For me it gives both anaerobic and aerobic fitness. The first couple of sets are anaerobic, moving to progressively more aerobic especially after the 3rd.

Nice understatement !

boshea
06-28-2007, 10:53 AM
Thanks guys for your feedback. This is good stuff.

-brian

chaiwai
07-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Shadow boxing, burpees.
If your knees hurt you can do burpees on chairs.
I don't like running for exactly knee reason. Even on soft surface.
I don't concider biking natural movement. It's good, but not as effective as running. What about light weight weighlifting for high reps?

IronFist
07-28-2007, 12:02 PM
What do you want endurance for? Running? Fighting? Increasing the distance you run, which is lower intensity, won't necessarily give you more endurance for a fight, which is higher intensity.

If you want more endurance for fighting, practice fighting in 1, 2, or 3 min rounds. There's a reason you get tired after a few rounds of fighting but you can run for 30-60 minutes without getting as tired.

stien
07-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Although i know it's probably the only thing more boring than running, swimming laps is the easiest thing on the knees and requires your entire body to be coordinatied; you can change the stroke or speed for more a more interval training type of work out. If you gym doesn't have a pool, check see if they partner with a local YMCA or public natatorium.