PDA

View Full Version : Thornton seminar afterglow....

Paul Sharp
01-31-2001, 09:57 PM
Subject: not that we took long hot showers together...
Date: 01-Feb-01 | 01:53 PM

Greetings,

I am going to try and post a few things about the Thornton Seminar held recently at Champion Jiu-Jitsu in Carpentersville, Illinois.

Matt was highly recommended to me by my good friend Luis, (www.onedragon.com). Knowing Luis and having numerous conversations, where Luis basically coached me through the transition from what I was formerly doing into my current training curriculum, I trusted him when he told me to have Matt out for a seminar.

First off, Matt is a great guy. Totally down to earth and approachable. He is honest, which some misinterpret as rude when they read his articles, but everyone found him to be just the opposite. When asked questions Matt answered honestly and bluntly but also made sure that the person asking the question fully understood Matt's response, going into great detail as to why Matt had formed this opinion.

I won't go into technical detail, that would take up a lot of space and time. Instead I will give an overview.

Day one began with Ground game. Matt really focused on improving our game from the guard. We worked several techs from here but Matt's real focus was on key priciples and concepts that make your guard game hard to beat. We began to work Clinch with Matt introducing some of the attendees to the Pummel and Hand Fighting. Guy's were really starting to sweat now. Again, Matt focused on principles and concepts that will make your Clinch game better. We finished the morning session with some sparring.

After lunch Matt reviewed the morning session and then we moved into some more Clinch work. Matt continued to stress Aliveness. Several times during the training Matt would call everyone in to sit down and discuss "Aliveness". Each time Matt did this you could see an immediate improvement when the guy's would tie up again. We also continued to work our Ground game, but now it was being put together as part of the Clinch. Start in the Clinch work your game, if you go to Ground continue until sub or time.

Matt called everyone in for a Q and A. After answering numerous questions we broke for the day. Even after we broke, guy's continued to ask Matt questions in an attempt to really grasp the concepts and principles outlined earlier. As a testament to what Matt is doing you have to understand these were advanced martial artist having trained in JKD for a considerable amount of time. The concepts and principles Matt shared really challenged these guy's to examine the whats and whys of their JKD.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT POST
Subject: RE: INFO
Date: 01-Feb-01 | 02:35 PM

Day two continued with more Ground game. Now we focused on Top game and escapes from the bottom. Matt's principle of teaching what works from the beginning was really appreciated by all in attendance. As Matt said, why wait until you are a purple belt to learn something. Why train one way for four years only to have your instructor say, okay forget that, now do it this way. Everyone improved their Ground game as a result of this approach. We also continued to focus on Clinch as well. Really reinforcing the principles learned the previous day.

One undeniable testament to Matt's methods, during the training sessions the guy's were using, in sparring, the stuff they had learned the day before. Simple, direct and easily applied.

After lunch Matt reviewed everything from the previous sessions and we began to work Standup. We focused Boxing, Takedowns and Sprawling. We moved into the ring to do a little Vale Tudo. The guy's really seemed to enjoy this. We started in Standup and went until sub, knockout or time. It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed getting smacked around. :~)

We stayed in the ring to correct some of the fundamental flaws Matt saw in our Standup games. We also worked the Boot kicks. Which one of the guy's has already used in a real situation to defuse a would-be fighters plans.

We than moved back out to the mat to work the Boxing Blast, which I find much more effective than the normal straight blast. Matt showed us a way to work it which is much more effective than using mitts, thai pads or other variations. After several blast drills Matt called us in for some more Q and A.

During the Q and A many questions were raised concerning Matt's training methods and opinions of other training methods. Matt was very forthright in his responses and never derogatory when addressing the differences in approach. Everyone came away with the understanding that this is the approach that Matt and several others of like mind have chosen. Its not for everyone nor are we trying to win everyone over. Those that get it..., well they get it, those that don't...., they don't. No hard feelings and no criticisms toward them. Matt also explained his position on certifications and affiliations. His open and honest opinions were appreciated by those in attendance.

It was an all around excellent training experiance. Matt has the benefit of having world class athletes in his gym on a daily basis. Matt willingly gives of his experiance with these athletes.

I am looking forward to having Matt out here again and continuing to train with him and the athletes of SBG.

To sum it up, one guy turned to me at the end of the second day and said "I don't think I have ever been this sore in my life, just from training. But I have never laughed as much and had such a good time while training".

Peace, Paul Sharp

Certificates don't count, Performance does...