PDA

View Full Version : Athletic assessment

Paul Sharp
02-03-2001, 12:13 AM
Greetings,

I am currently experimenting with the concept of an Athletic Assessment before someone begins training and continuing this process during their time with me.

I have been thinking about this for a while now. When I went to begin training with a local wrestling club during the summer months this was a standard practice for everyone that walked through the door. We were timed through a series of sprints, hops and jumps for distance. My standing broad jump was measured as well as my estimated 1rm for the squat. All this was done prior to me ever stepping on the mat. They also tested my ROM at the hips, knees and shoulders. Body fat testing was simple, "Lift your shirt".

Their focus is identical to mine, develop high quality athletes. Yet I have never done any of these things with my guy's.

So...., I am putting together a short set of tests.
1) 5 meter sprint
2) 25 meter hop on one foot
3) 50 meter sprint
4) Standing Broad Jump
5) ROM testing for Hips, Knees
Shoulders.
6) As yet unknown Strength testing

I am still developing this but I think the concept is sound. Since I firmly believe Performance is number one priority this will allow me to find their level of athletic ability and customize my training time with them to fit their needs.

So, rather than having a beginners, intermediate or advanced sessions based on technical knowledge they would be slotted according to athletic ability. As I said I am still working on this and I am having a mental battle with the idea of "slotting" people.

My justification for putting people in divisions based on athletic ability is found in this premise. They will progress faster and retain more when they are in better condition. My curriculum, as such, is rooted in mstering the fundamentals,ie; a double leg is a double leg, the difference in one athlete making it work and another athlete failing is athletic ability. Since the main difference in levels is athletic ability, why not re-test to assess if the athlete is ready, athletically, to move on to training that is much more taxing.

Perfect example occurred today. Working the Standup game, I found myself saying the same thing over and over to one athlete. During a break I asked if he understood what I was trying to convey. He said he did, but he just could not focus as he was too tired to go on. Technically he is better than the athlete he was working with, condition wise he is not even close. I realize, as another athlete pointed out, he could take it upon himself to hit the Stairmaster more often but I think this is where the assessment process could come into play. Through the assessment I could see immediately where he needs to focus before his game starts to suffer.

Just some random thoughts.

Peace,
Paul Sharp

Certificates don't count, Performance does...