PDA

View Full Version : Man tackles terrorist in Glasgow

bodhitree
06-30-2007, 06:22 PM
The terrorist was on fire, good for him. If I was the lucky guy to tackle him, I would make him beg for his life, then his death. Disaster averted, thank god for stupid terrorists.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/6257194.stm

rogue
06-30-2007, 06:27 PM
Stupid tango started his day out thinking he was on his way to 70 virgin land and instead ended up in the burn unit. Priceless.

Black Jack II
06-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Stupid tango started his day out thinking he was on his way to 70 virgin land and instead ended up in the burn unit. Priceless.

Yep....made my day.:D

Mr Punch
06-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Gotta be happy with the individual result...

but it's worrying. Even remotely political/extreme Islamic terrorists have an agenda: why would they wait till Blair's left and not give Brown (who wants out of Iraq ASAP anyway) a chance? Before most extremists said that UK citizens were game because the populace voted Blair back in... you'd have thought the ****s would've given the new admin a chance...

But they didn't proves that this is the new breed of ****s who believe in just destroying anything non-Islam, or more specifically, non-ultra-extreme. Just like al qaeda in Iraq exacerbating trouble between the Shia and Sunni and blowing up the ancient world heritage sites that the US army didn't already concrete over for their bases.

I hope that it's mostly disgruntled ex-druggie isolated ****heads rather than well organised units of nutters. It would appear so so far.

BTW, what's a tango?!

n00854180t
06-30-2007, 09:06 PM

but it's worrying. Even remotely political/extreme Islamic terrorists have an agenda: why would they wait till Blair's left and not give Brown (who wants out of Iraq ASAP anyway) a chance? Before most extremists said that UK citizens were game because the populace voted Blair back in... you'd have thought the ****s would've given the new admin a chance...

But they didn't proves that this is the new breed of ****s who believe in just destroying anything non-Islam, or more specifically, non-ultra-extreme. Just like al qaeda in Iraq exacerbating trouble between the Shia and Sunni and blowing up the ancient world heritage sites that the US army didn't already concrete over for their bases.

I hope that it's mostly disgruntled ex-druggie isolated ****heads rather than well organised units of nutters. It would appear so so far.

BTW, what's a tango?!

This assumes a 24 (the show) level of nuclear-capable organization that just doesn't exist outside the land of fairy tales and fear mongering garbage.

Mr Punch
06-30-2007, 09:11 PM
This assumes a 24 (the show) level of nuclear-capable organization that just doesn't exist outside the land of fairy tales and fear mongering garbage.WTF are you talking about? Where in my post do I assume that?

n00854180t
06-30-2007, 09:28 PM
Mr. Punch, just the notion that Blair being out of power will suddenly make all extremists rethink their positions. I mean, key word is "extremist" here after all.

I guess maybe I'm just tired of all the fear mongering garbage (US media for instance...ridiculous) that gets tossed around constantly. It's worse than with the almighty "communist threat" these days.

Mr Punch
06-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Mr. Punch, just the notion that Blair being out of power will suddenly make all extremists rethink their positions. I mean, key word is "extremist" here after all. Ah, OK, I get ya. But no, I didn't say 'all': I do think there is a difference between terrorists and their motives. There are terrorists like the leader of the 7/7 bombings who had a relatively good upbringing, no lack of money/home comforts etc, and became a terrorist through what he saw as political motivation: that of foreign policy in Iraq, and continued support from civilians of Blair/Bush. However cracked this may be, at least it shows an agenda and some kind of albeit faulty logical thought process. These are the kind that would hopefully rethink a little with the change of admin.

Compare these to the 'kill-everything-non-Moslem-that-moves" kind: they ahve no political agenda, and believe that culture, heritage and human identity, history and feelings are somehow against their perverse view of God... this would seem to be the first instance of this variety on UK soils, rather than the political ones or the radical hatemongers in a few isolated mosques that stir up the trouble but wouldn't do anything themselves.

Thus it's a slightly worrying trend.

Unless, as I said, it's just dissaffected ex druggies and drop-outs, which would be the third, and more reassuring example I would think.

I guess maybe I'm just tired of all the fear mongering garbage (US media for instance...ridiculous) that gets tossed around constantly. It's worse than with the almighty "communist threat" these days.Oh yeah, fully agree with you there. Communism was a real danger at one point, but a very short period, after which it was extremely blown up in the media and by the govt, and it's surely the same here. All the alert colour schemes and the laughably named 'Cobra' anti-terrorist unit or whatever they're supposed to be. Bloody kids!

Ben Gash
07-01-2007, 01:51 AM
Of course ironically the states is making the same mistakes in the war on terror as they did during the cold war which fostered the rise of militant islam :rolleyes: Ignoring human rights abuses by countries who are willing to trade information with you, or indeed sponsoring their human rights abuses because it suits your ends is blinkered, and self defeating, , on top of obviously immoral. It also puts the UK in a difficult position because we can't deport our radicals because they're at risk of torture in their home countries :rolleyes:
We've been bombed before, we'll be bombed again.

Shaolin Wookie
07-01-2007, 05:18 AM

How can I get there, and what do I have to do?

And are the chicks hot?

I can find 70 virgin chicks on any color guard team....but it doesn't mean I'd want to.

Merryprankster
07-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Tango = "T" in the phonetic alphabet used by the military in the US. T = Terrorist.

I had an interesting discussion with a guy that used to be psyops in the Army. He said "Tactical psyops - dropping surrender leaflets and such - almost ALWAYS works when backed up by the threat of real force. At the theatre level it's a little harder...strategic psyops..... well...."

I said "you wanna know what strategic psyops is? Strategic psyops is TELLING THE TRUTH."

His response "Thank you. That's exactly right." It led to a related conversation about how part of telling the truth is making your rhetoric true - ie, when you're claiming to be the "shining city on the hill," you can't have guantanamo bay. And also about how the reason that telling strategic psyops is telling the truth is because people in less free states around the world - the places that threats eminate from - have their bull**** detectors set to extremely sensitive, because they deal with government censorship, conspiracies and propaganda constantly, and have to deftly sort truth from fiction.

It's going to take at least a decade, and probably longer for the US to recover from all of this, in terms of international reputation. *sigh*

A couple of good first steps would be for us to sign on to the ICC agreements and also to allow the red cross in to inspect and embed themselves in both our military detention centers and prisons, and perhaps even our civil ones.

Mano Mano
07-01-2007, 09:34 AM
How can I get there, and what do I have to do?

And are the chicks hot?

I can find 70 virgin chicks on any color guard team....but it doesn't mean I'd want to.

Why would you want to be with 70 Nuns

rogue
07-01-2007, 11:09 AM
His response "Thank you. That's exactly right." It led to a related conversation about how part of telling the truth is making your rhetoric true - ie, when you're claiming to be the "shining city on the hill," you can't have guantanamo bay. And also about how the reason that telling strategic psyops is telling the truth is because people in less free states around the world - the places that threats eminate from - have their bull**** detectors set to extremely sensitive, because they deal with government censorship, conspiracies and propaganda constantly, and have to deftly sort truth from fiction.

Which came first 9/11 or Gitmo? What's wrong with Gitmo and saying the US is a great place? Gitmo is a POW camp plain and simple. Since the POW's in question don't belong directly to a state they fall into a grey area, but these non-state entities are very much at war with us. Simple solution to Gitmo; Give up the war against the West, and either join the world community or go live in a corner where you won't bother anyone. Do that and Gitmo could disappear. And if gitmo is so bad would it be better to squeeze them for what they know and then give them free sky diving lessons for their trouble?

rogue
07-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Of course ironically the states is making the same mistakes in the war on terror as they did during the cold war which fostered the rise of militant islam :rolleyes: Ignoring human rights abuses by countries who are willing to trade information with you, or indeed sponsoring their human rights abuses because it suits your ends is blinkered, and self defeating, , on top of obviously immoral. It also puts the UK in a difficult position because we can't deport our radicals because they're at risk of torture in their home countries :rolleyes:
We've been bombed before, we'll be bombed again.

Well Ben, we could always invade them, topple their leaders and try to set up some form of democratic government. :p

Ben Gash
07-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Nah, it'll take twenty years before that happens ;)

rogue
07-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Yeah, it is a pretty far fetched idea.:D

Merryprankster
07-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Rogue, you won't find a more ardent opponent of "American politics caused 9/11," than me. Apart from the proximate cause being individual choice, Qtub outlined modern global jihad goals and the need for offensive operations in 1964, in "milestones" or "Waypoints." Let's just say there is no "political" solution to their issues with us.

What's my problem with gitmo?

Holding people indefinitely without charges.

If you want to argue it's a POW camp and they can be held until the end of hostilities, you have just lent credence to their status as soldiers in a legitimate resistance movement. I don't want to do that.

Charge them or don't, but this process has to work faster. Also, allowing the red cross to embed themselves would show we have nothing to hide.

rogue
07-01-2007, 12:52 PM
I believe that the Taliban are soldiers that can be said to be a legitimate resistance movement. They were at least once a somewhat legitimate government in Afghanistan, at least as far as those things go in that part of the world.

That leaves the AQ and it's hanger ons. No direct government connections, no real beef except to bring down anybody not like them and a manner of operation that would make the folks that brought us Buchenwald blush. What do we charge them with?
AQ Handy Work (http://michaelyon-online.com/wp/bless-the-beasts-and-children.htm)

IMO I can't figure out any punishment that fits their crimes.

TenTigers
07-01-2007, 04:36 PM
"It's going to take at least a decade, and probably longer for the US to recover from all of this, in terms of international reputation. *sigh*"

hmmm, couldn't we simply invade and take over, like descent warmongers-and any country that has an objection, we simply say,"We're lowering oil down to 10 bucks a gallon for allied nations-or if you like you can pay the current price-who's with us?"

Mr Punch
07-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Members of al-Qaida group run by 'Mr Big' still at largeIt seems to me that that d@mned 'Mr Big' is responsible for most of the troubles in this world. Somebody ought to put paid to him for once and for all.

rogue
07-02-2007, 09:57 AM
01/07/07 - News section

I was a fanatic...I know their thinking, says former radical Islamist
By HASSAN BUTT

When I was still a member of what is probably best termed the British Jihadi Network - a series of British Muslim terrorist groups linked by a single ideology - I remember how we used to laugh in celebration whenever people on TV proclaimed that the sole cause for Islamic acts of terror like 9/11, the Madrid bombings and 7/7 was Western foreign policy.

By blaming the Government for our actions, those who pushed this "Blair's bombs" line did our propaganda work for us.

{R}

More important, they also helped to draw away any critical examination from the real engine of our violence: Islamic theology.

The attempts to cause mass destruction in London and Glasgow are so reminiscent of other recent British Islamic extremist plots that they are likely to have been carried out by my former peers.

And as with previous terror attacks, people are again saying that violence carried out by Muslims is all to do with foreign policy.

For example, on Saturday on Radio 4's Today programme, the Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, said: "What all our intelligence shows about the opinions of disaffected young Muslims is the main driving force is not Afghanistan, it is mainly Iraq."

I left the British Jihadi Network in February 2006 because I realised that its members had simply become mindless killers. But if I were still fighting for their cause, I'd be laughing once again.

Mohammad Sidique Khan, the leader of the July 7 bombings, and I were both part of the network - I met him on two occasions.

And though many British extremists are angered by the deaths of fellow Muslim across the world, what drove me and many others to plot acts of extreme terror within Britain and abroad was a sense that we were fighting for the creation of a revolutionary worldwide Islamic state that would dispense Islamic justice.

If we were interested in justice, you may ask, how did this continuing violence come to be the means of promoting such a (flawed) Utopian goal?

How do Islamic radicals justify such terror in the name of their religion?

There isn't enough room to outline everything here, but the foundation of extremist reasoning rests upon a model of the world in which you are either a believer or an infidel.

Formal Islamic theology, unlike Christian theology, does not allow for the separation of state and religion: they are considered to be one and the same.

For centuries, the reasoning of Islamic jurists has set down rules of interaction between Dar ul-Islam (the Land of Islam) and Dar ul-Kufr (the Land of Unbelief) to cover almost every matter of trade, peace and war.

But what radicals and extremists do is to take this two steps further. Their first step has been to argue that, since there is no pure Islamic state, the whole world must be Dar ul-Kufr (The Land of Unbelief).

Step two: since Islam must declare war on unbelief, they have declared war upon the whole world.

Along with many of my former peers, I was taught by Pakistani and British radical preachers that this reclassification of the globe as a Land of War (Dar ul-Harb) allows any Muslim to destroy the sanctity of the five rights that every human is granted under Islam: life, wealth, land, mind and belief.

In Dar ul-Harb, anything goes, including the treachery and cowardice of attacking civilians.

The notion of a global battlefield has been a source of friction for Muslims living in Britain.

For decades, radicals have been exploiting the tensions between Islamic theology and the modern secular state - typically by starting debate with the question: "Are you British or Muslim?"

But the main reason why radicals have managed to increase their following is because most Muslim institutions in Britain just don't want to talk about theology.

They refuse to broach the difficult and often complex truth that Islam can be interpreted as condoning violence against the unbeliever - and instead repeat the mantra that Islam is peace and hope that all of this debate will go away.

This has left the territory open for radicals to claim as their own. I should know because, as a former extremist recruiter, I repeatedly came across those who had tried to raise these issues with mosque authorities only to be banned from their grounds.

Every time this happened it felt like a moral and religious victory for us because it served as a recruiting sergeant for extremism.

Outside Britain, there are those who try to reverse this two-step revisionism.

A handful of scholars from the Middle East have tried to put radicalism back in the box by saying that the rules of war devised so long ago by Islamic jurists were always conceived with the existence of an Islamic state in mind, a state which would supposedly regulate jihad in a responsible Islamic fashion.

In other words, individual Muslims don't have the authority to go around declaring global war in the name of Islam.

But there is a more fundamental reasoning that has struck me as a far more potent argument because it involves recognising the reality of the world: Muslims don't actually live in the bipolar world of the Middle Ages any more.

The fact is that Muslims in Britain are citizens of this country. We are no longer migrants in a Land of Unbelief.

For my generation, we were born here, raised here, schooled here, we work here and we'll stay here.

But more than that, on a historically unprecedented scale, Muslims in Britain have been allowed to assert their religious identity through clothing, the construction of mosques, the building of cemeteries and equal rights in law.

However, it isn't enough for responsible Muslims to say that, because they feel at home in Britain, they can simply ignore those passages of the Koran which instruct on killing unbelievers.

Because so many in the Muslim community refuse to challenge centuries-old theological arguments, the tensions between Islamic theology and the modern world grow larger every day.

I believe that the issue of terrorism can be easily demystified if Muslims and non-Muslims start openly to discuss the ideas that fuel terrorism.

Crucially, the Muslim community in Britain must slap itself awake from its state of denial and realise there is no shame in admitting the extremism within our families, communities and worldwide co-religionists.

If our country is going to take on radicals and violent extremists, Muslim scholars must go back to the books and come forward with a refashioned set of rules and a revised understanding of the rights and responsibilities of Muslims whose homes and souls are firmly planted in what I'd like to term the Land of Co-existence.

And when this new theological territory is opened up, Western Muslims will be able to liberate themselves from defunct models of the world, rewrite the rules of interaction and perhaps we will discover that the concept of killing in the name of Islam is no more than an anachronism.

Find this story at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=465570&in_page_id=1770
©2007 Associated New Media

Mr Punch
07-02-2007, 06:09 PM
That was a good article. I like that guy... does that make me bad? :confused: He used to recruit for terrorism after all...

In case nobody's read it: the fact has come out that five of the people they have arrested (including the two on the scene in Glasgow) were doctors or medical professionals (including one neurosurgeon).

So, while I'm not at all hysterical about this ( :rolleyes: ) this attack is more worrying than previous attempts in the UK for two reasons (the first I stated before):

1) These attackers have absolutely no confidence/belief in any political process. They decided to attack before Brown's admin even settled in. The fact that they include a Palestinian refugee family's son educated in Jordan (our allies right?) and one guy educated in Iraq makes it easy to see how they don't believe in the political process. That is irrelevant, however when considering the effect they may have on other potential homegrown malcontents.

2) These attackers were educated. Very educated. They were allowed into the UK as professionals with some degree of privelege (on visas that are not granted every day), and given access to a lot more dangerous things than they used in their attacks (thankfully they didn't think to get explosives training in their home countries before they came over). It's not just uneducated ex-druggie, unlaid mugs this time. On top of that, one has to assume they took the Hippocratic Oath. All of which gives us a new level of extreme.

Mr Punch
07-02-2007, 06:21 PM
Incidentally, funny though it is, it's about time we put the 72 virgins to bed...

While we continue to propogate this BS about the motives for suicide attacks we are unrealistically glossing over very real reasons and grievances (however spurious we find them to be) with some kind of fantasy which infantilizes the enemy and makes the mistake of assuming that their religious zeal is based on some thirst for worldly style pleasures in the afterlife: the truth is way more scary.

Quote from a rather good reply on the Guardian CiF from here (http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/jason_burke/2007/07/strings_of_terror_are_knotted_internally.html):

Now when I go to the supermarket I sometimes like others buy olive live which also has the word "virgin" on it.

Do we autmatically assume it is related to sex? or does virgin have more than one meaning?

Now I have never come across a terrorist mention "72 virgins" as motivation for his criminal actions. Anyone else have any sources or links?

The Quran specifially states the following in regard to suicide :

"But let there be amongst you Traffic and trade by mutual good-will: Nor kill (or destroy) yourselves: for verily God hath been to you Most Merciful!

If any do that in rancour and injustice,- soon shall We cast them into the Fire: And easy it is for God.

Qur'an 4:29 - 4:30"

To commmit suicide is a grave sin! so who is responsible for the 72 virgins myth found on mostly anti-muslim websites?

Below are some sources available on web discussing this.

Make your own minds up:

"Does the Koran really promise Islamic martyrs 72 virgins?"

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/011214.html

"72 Virgins "

http://www.answers.com/topic/72-virgins

"A CBS news report in 2001 contained a translation of a Hamas activist which specifically mentioned the term "72 virgins". Since then, the term has been widely used in the western world by critics of Islam."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houri#Popularisation

http://www.muslimnews.co.uk/news/news.php?article=996

"American Muslim leaders are outraged over an alleged fabricated quote attributed to a Palestinian who recruits suicide bombers in a documentary that aired Sunday on CBS' "60 Minutes."

In the documentary, a man identified as Mohammed Abu Wardeh was filmed speaking in Arabic to Simon, with a simultaneous translation dubbed over his remarks.

At one point, the translator quotes Abu Wardeh saying, "God would compensate the martyr for sacrificing his life for his land. If you become a martyr, God will give you 70 virgins, 70 wives and everlasting happiness."

According to Mehdi Brey, a spokesman for the Washington office of the Muslim Public Affairs Council, native Arabic speakers listened carefully to the tape and could find nothing even remotely resembling that translation.

Instead, they say, Abu Wardeh said, "As long as I love the land (of Palestine) and as long as it is under occupation, I have no hesitation in doing what I am doing."

Brey said his organization has asked the show to explain how completely different words were attributed to the person interviewed, but CBS has not responded.

Officials at "60 Minutes" could not explain to Knight Ridder how the discrepancies in the translation occurred.

""There is nothing in the Koran or in Islamic teachings about 70 virgins or sex in paradise. This is ridiculous, and any true Muslim knows that," he said. The leaders asked that CBS air a correction and provide time for Muslim scholars on the show to explain Islam's teachings about violence and martyrdom"

"72 virgins in Paradise"

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=72%20Virgins%20in%20Paradise

"One of the biggest Israeli propaganda myths is the invention of 72 virgins as a Muslim reward for suicide"
"Debunking the 'Suicide for 72 Virgins' Myth"

http://www.thepeoplesvoice.org/cgi-bin/blogs/voices.php/2007/03/11/p15072

Don't forget these people are extreme by Islam's standards too. Suicide is very strictly prohibited by the Koran, and those who go against this tenet do so for their belief in houri, true, but to say that that is as simple as 72 virgins is as plainly stupid as saying that Christians believe when you go to heaven you'll get a harp and wings.

rogue
07-02-2007, 07:14 PM
Darn good job of infiltration, thank God the execution was lacking.

Terror plot hatched in British hospitals
By Kim Sengupta, Ian Herbert and Cahal Milmo
Published: 03 July 2007

A suspected secret cell of foreign militants, believed to be linked to al-Qa'ida and using British hospitals as cover, are being questioned over the terrorist attacks in London and Glasgow.

Five of the eight people under arrest last night are said to be doctors. Another of those detained is the wife of one of the doctors, who is a medical assistant working for the NHS. The home of a sixth doctor is said to have been searched by police. Late last night an Australian television network reported that a suspect wanted in connection with the attacks had been arrested in Brisbane.

Attention has been focused on a group of nationals from the Middle East, who had not previously attracted the interest of security agencies.

Until now, cases of Islamist terrorism have involved mainly Muslims who were born and brought up in Britain. The alleged arrival of teams from abroad to carry out attacks, their identities unknown to the domestic law agencies, adds another dimension to the terrorist threat being faced in the United Kingdom.

Following the link between the attacks in London and Glasgow, control of the investigation was transferred to Scotland Yard. With the security alert staying at the highest possible level and warnings that another attack may be "imminent", police carried out 19 raids across the country, arresting nationals from Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Iraq. Among those arrested was Mohammed Jamil Abdelqader Asha, a 26-year-old neurologist who was born in Saudi Arabia but is of Palestinian origin and was travelling on a Jordanian passport. He and his 27-year-old wife, a medical assistant, were arrested on the M6 in Cheshire, in connection with the attempted bombings in London.

Also under arrest was Bilal Talal Abdul Samad Abdulla, an Iraqi from Baghdad who arrived in the UK in April 2006. He is said to have been one of the two men in the Cherokee Jeep in the Glasgow airport attack, and is suffering from third-degree burns.

His companion, under arrest, is also from Iraq, while two other men, aged 25 and 28, arrested in Paisley yesterday, were said to be doctors from Saudi Arabia.

Police carried out a controlled explosion on a blue Vauxhall car yesterday at Royal Alexandra Hospital, in Paisley, near Glasgow, where Dr Abdulla worked and where he is being treated for his injuries. It was the second such detonation at the hospital, following a white BMW on Sunday. Strathclyde Police said the two vehicles were "connected" with the airport attack.

Dr Asha, 26, has been in Britain since 2005 and had worked at the North Staffordshire Hospital, where his office was being searched yesterday following a raid at his home at Sunningdale Grove in Newcastle-under-Lyme. There were police searches in the same town two miles from Dr Asha's home at Priam Close, Bradwell, which, according to neighbours, was rented by another doctor and his wife.

Further searches were carried out in Liverpool at the home of a man who had been arrested after being disabled with a taser gun after police surrounded his car. According to neighbours, the man was a doctor from India who worked at Halton Hospital in Cheshire. A colleague told the newspaper, Muslim News, that the man may have been detained because he was using the mobile telephone and internet account of another man who has recently left Britain. Last night Dr Asha's father, Jamil Asha, asked King Abdullah of Jordan to intercede on behalf of his son. He vehemently stressed to journalists in Amman that his son was not involved in any terrorist activity.

"All he wanted to do was get on with his life. He prays like any good Muslim but was certainly not a fanatic," said Mr Asha. "He was planning to visit us on 12 July. He called me three days ago to check the body sizes of his six brothers and two sisters. My son wanted to buy them gifts from Britain before his departure." Dr Asha's brother, Ahmed, said he was surprised by news of his arrest. "The first news we heard of this was broadcast by an Arabic satellite channel. It's nonsense because he has no terror connections."

Dr Abdulla, who had qualified in Baghdad in 2004, a year after the US-led invasion, has been in Britain since August 2006. He is said to have lived in Jordan before arriving in the UK.

The failed car bomb attacks in London early on Friday morning involved two Mercedes saloons. They had been packed with gas cylinders, petrol and nails with two mobile telephones acting as detonators. The bombers had, according to a security source, tried to detonate the car outside Tiger Tiger bar with four phone calls. Two calls had been made to the car in ****spur Street, which was later towed away to a car pound. The bombs failed because of a technical mistake.

Detectives believe that a Mercedes involved in the failed attacks in London came from Scotland. They have tracked part of the car's route south last week using number-plate recognition technology mounted in cameras along the M6.

The raids and arrests across the country which followed are said to have resulted mainly from clues gathered from the two cars, including calls made to the mobile telephones.

Homegrown cells

* OPERATION CREVICE

Five men plotted to blow up the Bluewater shopping centre in Kent and the Ministry of Sound nightclub in London with massive fertiliser bombs.

MI5 were watching the ringleaders when, in February 2004, a supervisor at a London self-storage reported three men stashing 600kg of ammonium nitrate fertiliser.

Cell member Jawad Akbar was recorded discussing the nightclub attack: " No one can put their hands up and say they are innocent." Fearful the gang would attack, the police launched a series of raids. Akbar, Omar Khyam, Waheed Mahmood, Anthony Garcia and Salahuddin Amin - British citizens - were convicted at the Old Bailey in April of conspiracy to cause explosions.

* 7 JULY 2005

As the morning rush-hour ended, Shehzad Tanweer, Jermaine Lindsay and Mohammad Siddique blew up the explosive-packed rucksacks they were carrying on London Underground trains at Russell Square, Edgware Road and Aldgate. An hour later, Hasib Hussain detonated his on a number 30 bus in Tavistock Square. They were all from Yorkshire, except Lindsay, who lived in Aylesbury.

The four men were motivated by "fierce antagonism to perceived injustices by the West against Muslims," according to the Government report into the bombings.

A total of 52 people were killed and more than 770 were injured.

* 21 JULY 2005

A fortnight to the day after the 7 July attacks, four attempted bombings took place in central London. Faulty bombs were found on trains at Oval, Warren Street and Shepherds Bush stations and on a bus in Hackney, gifting the police a wealth of forensic evidence.

The trial at Woolwich Crown Court of six men, who deny conspiracy to murder, heard that the bombs were made using chapatti flour and hydrogen peroxide.

The six, Muktar Ibrahim, Manfo Asiedu, Hussein Osman, Yassin Omar, Ramzi Mohammed and Adel Yaha, are all originally from Africa.

The trial jury went out to consider its verdict on 28 June. The jury is still out.

* DHIREN BAROT

Indian-born Barot plotted to create carnage on an "unprecedented scale" . His plans included blowing up a Tube train in a tunnel beneath the Thames. Barot, from London, was jailed for at least 40 years in November for conspiracy to murder. There was no evidence he had acquired the materials to carry out his attacks, but his plans were found on his computer.

© 2007 Independent News and Media Limited

Chosen-frozen
07-03-2007, 08:17 PM

BTW, what's a tango?!

1) Even with Blair going out it could be in response to something else, like Salmon Rushdi being KNIGHTED week before last. That was seen as a big insult to Islam by lots of Muslims.There were protests in lots of countries and I think some big threats were made made unless Britain withdrew the Knighthood. And of course they didn`t because they didn`t want to be seen as giving in to pressure.

2) A "Tango" is pseudo-military slang for terrorist. Lots of words are shortened to the letter they begin with, like "LZ" for landing zone. Since many letters sound similar over the radio they`re replaced with an easily understood word begining with that letter. For example "Zulu" for the letter Z or "Tango" for the letter T.

Mr Punch
07-03-2007, 09:39 PM
1) Even with Blair going out it could be in response to something else, Seems you're wrong. Terrorist contacts, the 'chat' monitored by MI5 and the US authorities have already stated that there were warnings about a large scale attack to coincide with Blair's exit, and there are even some people claiming that Glasgow airport was a suspected target.

2"Tango" for the letter T.Gothca, thanks. MP already explained it. Shame, I thought it would be something a lot funnier and more insulting! :D

rogue
07-04-2007, 05:24 AM
I'm lazy and just hate spelling out "terrorist" all the time.

Merryprankster
07-04-2007, 09:03 AM
That was seen as a big insult to Islam by lots of Muslims.

**** them. Stop worrying about being insulted and start worrying about people and it's amazing how much life improves.

rogue
07-06-2007, 07:28 AM
Here's one for you MP, have the Islamist's lost sight of a real end game? From their actions I have to wonder if they are getting desperate, getting overrun with amateurs, or have just totally lost the idea of having a real end game. Or maybe all of the above.