PDA

View Full Version : Learning martial arts in China

Sword Player
07-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Going on four years here, I've had opportunity to get acquainted with costs and the Chinese approach to doing business with foreigners.

Be careful.

A world famous player here has a school which Chinese pay 2000 RMB/ yearly to attend. My cost? 16,000. I had a friend call and they said they would give me the same price as locals. When I actually went to the school without the friend, the price was 16,000.

An average Chinese high school teacher makes about 2,500 a month. Beer is 2 RMB per bottle in a restaurant. A nice flat with two bathrooms and 3 bedroms, outside of town, can be had for 450RMB/monthly. A one room flat with shared bathrom and no heat is about 100RMB/ monthly. 1 RMB is
about 12 cents.

Some foreigners think that throwing money at Chinese "masters" is going to improve their style. It won't. Besides the hype, giving that kind of money to a Chinese "master" is likely wasted. There are many exceptional players in the local parks. Some welcome foreigners into their classes. They charge usually 10-25/monthly, that's for 2-3 hours, 7 days a week. There is often a lot of one on one training going on during these sessions as well.

Swords in Dengfeng: The Shaolin sword factory outlet on the main street in Dengfeng sells swords for significantly higher than you can buy them for a mile or two away, off the main street. A sword that the factory wanted 1600 for was less than 1/4 of that a mile or so away. The Beijing Sports University has many sword shops close by. Great place to find all kinds of weapons, cheap.

A lot of exceptional players in China are using VCDs or DVDs to learn new forms. The advantage to this is that you have a really great teacher and you can replay the disc again and again until you get it down. Some teachers here, and everywhere else, get tired after teaching you the same move ten times. I don't blame them. You can get discs here for about 10 RMB. Some are more expensive but often not any better. Both DengFeng and Beijing, near the sports university, have a fantastic assortment of discs teaching nearly every weapon and many many fist forms. I've heard that Shanghai does too.

If you want to make the most of your time here, get some discs and learn the basic moves of the form before coming to China. Then when you get here, you can spend your time refining the moves.

Teaching English here is a great way to finance your wushu training. Find a job, come here and work and practice while getting paid. Chinatefl is a great site to look for jobs. Daveseslcafe also has a job board. Just be sure that you work for a legitimate school that will provide you with a Z visa.

Sure, there are other ways of going about wushu training in China, but this is one approach.

PaiLumDreamer
07-01-2007, 08:52 PM
When I went to China the first time we went to a "Shaolin School" somewhere in Beijing. We walked into a large gym with a boxing ring in the middle. Once we arrived, they all cleared out so we could have the entire place to ourselves (which I thought was silly, but not the point). Before they left we got to watch them for a few moments practicing. It was all kickboxing-ish - hitting focus mits, sparring in the ring, etc.

My question is, is this common where you train? Do they actually fight at the wushu schools over there or is that uncommon? What are the rules when they fight? The contact? Ive always had the impression that the wushu schools over there were more for flare than any real fighting skill - but it was just an impression. (Then again, we almost got to fight some students out of a school near the Shaolin temple, but it didnt happen for some reason. I was also sick, so that was probably for the best :D)

Also, where do you train at?

Shaolinlueb
07-01-2007, 09:47 PM
My question is, is this common where you train? Do they actually fight at the wushu schools over there or is that uncommon? What are the rules when they fight? The contact? Ive always had the impression that the wushu schools over there were more for flare than any real fighting skill - but it was just an impression. (Then again, we almost got to fight some students out of a school near the Shaolin temple, but it didnt happen for some reason. I was also sick, so that was probably for the best :D)

Also, where do you train at?

the 2 wushu schools i have been too, (in wuzhou and hangzhou) practiced sanshou for fighting. in the hangzhou one, it was a private school, so everyone took it. 3 hours at san shou then 3 hours at forms or demo stuff.

usually at the wushu school, once you get to 10-12 age, you do one or the other mainly. i know a sanshou champion in china, his kung fu is good, but not the quality of the best athletes. but his sanshou and kicks were fast. guy side kicked an inch from my head and all i felt was a breeze, hardly saw the kick come.

Sword Player
07-02-2007, 12:46 AM
I'm mainly talking about taiji. From what I have seen here, for instance recent televised eliminations for K1 or Pride fighting, the quality of the fighters is not comparable to the best fighters in Pride, UFC, and so forth.

There is a set of VCDs available here entitled China vs USA, China vs France, China vs Germany,and so forth. I watched the one against the U.S. China won every fight and the American fighters were of fairly low caliber. A year or so ago, they had a televised fight, China vs the USA. The fighters representing the USA were mostly English teachers. It was quite obvious they were not fighters at all. The Chinese fighters were all much better and beat every one, severely. From what I have seen, Chinese fighting is more propaganda than substance.

Sometimes on the weekly fight televised fight, there will be a good fighter, but usually his opponent is a hack. There is rarely a good fight.