PDA

View Full Version : Wude Kwoon's Website Is Up!!

Sicilian Tofu M
07-02-2007, 07:38 AM
Please tell us what you think, the site is not complete yet
www.wude.org

TenTigers
07-02-2007, 08:07 AM
Is that the Sifu? Looks pretty young! LOL (I was talking about the little blonde haired kid)
probably isn't a great idea to mix Manderin and Cantonese words,-might want to work on that.Nice site, though. Seems like you might be a Wing Lam student?

lkfmdc
07-02-2007, 10:37 AM
isn't a great idea to mix Manderin and Cantonese words

nah, it's cool, it's all Chinese you know, you can even throw some Japanese in there, since they are all oriental words :rolleyes::eek::rolleyes::eek:

Phacade
07-03-2007, 06:13 AM
Considering the name of "Canton" really can only be described as Guangzhou now, its hard to not have Mandarin and Cantonese together. In that part of the world, its actually common to hear Cantonese and Mandarin used together anyway seeing as Mandarin is the official state language but Cantonese is the local dialect.

:)

lkfmdc
07-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Considering the name of "Canton" really can only be described as Guangzhou now, its hard to not have Mandarin and Cantonese together. In that part of the world, its actually common to hear Cantonese and Mandarin used together anyway seeing as Mandarin is the official state language but Cantonese is the local dialect.

uh, in a word, NO

In Canton, aka Guangdong, people speak Cantonese. If they want to/have to speak Mandarin, then they switch to Mandarin, you do not "mix them"

Lama Pai Sifu
07-03-2007, 10:27 AM

You are either an idiot or just uninformed, or possibly an uninformed idiot.

It is not common "in that part of the world," as you say.

But, this is the spanking you get when you try to act like 'you know what time it is' when you obviously don't.

Dumba$$

TenTigers
07-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Guangzhao is a capital city of Guongdong Province. Not entirely the same.

David Jamieson
07-03-2007, 12:39 PM
couple of things jumped out at me.

1. Principles, not Principals when speaking of concepts. Principals are people, either consultants or headmasters of schools. :)

2. the logo shows the edge of the blade coming down on the arm.Turn the blade up or remove it, the salute represents the warrior spirit tempered by the cultured man. No place for a sword in a representation of that salute. IMO. Of course, you are free to do as you will. :)

lkfmdc
07-03-2007, 12:45 PM

sig line material!

Lama Pai Sifu
07-03-2007, 01:34 PM
You are welcome to it!

Lama Pai Sifu
07-03-2007, 01:47 PM
What on earth is he doing?

Look at the picture and recite out loud:

http://www.wude.org/photos.html

"Don't move! I have spotted a deadly crustation!"

Seriously - THIS is what is wrong with today's kung-fu. (to bring it back to another recent topic/thread)

lkfmdc
07-03-2007, 02:19 PM
you put your left foot in, you put your left foot out, you put your left foot in and......
(http://www.wude.org/images/swordplay1.jpg)

lkfmdc
07-03-2007, 02:21 PM
OK, I admit this it totally WRONG :eek:

but........

How much for the women and children? (http://www.wude.org/images/johnandjacob.jpg)

:D

TenTigers
07-03-2007, 02:31 PM
still didn't get an answer to my question-is the Sifu a Wing Lam Student? I would assume so by the forms he teaches. What is his affiliation?

banditshaw
07-03-2007, 02:40 PM
still didn't get an answer to my question-is the Sifu a Wing Lam Student? I would assume so by the forms he teaches. What is his affiliation?

affiliation By video maybe???
(that would be bad but it's been known to happen)

Nebuchadnezzar
07-03-2007, 03:20 PM
OK, I admit this it totally WRONG :eek:

but........

How much for the women and children? (http://www.wude.org/images/johnandjacob.jpg)

:D

You're right. It's wrong. :rolleyes:

Phacade
07-03-2007, 08:41 PM

It is not common "in that part of the world," as you say.

But, this is the spanking you get when you try to act like 'you know what time it is' when you obviously don't.

Dumba$$

As always people seem to form an a snap opinion and run with it, gleefully telling all the others on the playground exactly what they ought think. Its been a few years but I do remember how the bully routine went. Let me see if I remember. You make a snap judgement of me than immediatly try to garner support of all the others to support your position, thus elevating you and making you feel better and someone else's expense.

Hopefully your display of ridicule and poor respect for another of your Kung Fu cousins has made you feel better. Did your Sifu teach you this level of approbation for others in Kung Fu, or is this a self-interest study?

Alas as far as your comments, neither is correct. In fact I grew up in Hong Kong in the New Territories on the border of China near the Souther district of Guangdong and have a lot of experience in matters dealing with the spoken language there.

Can you make the same claim?

While the local dialect is Cantonese, Mandarin is commonly spoken as it is the official state language (and has a tendancy to sound more nasal). It may not have always been that way, but in the last 20 years it certain has. I would suggest, dear cousin of Shaolin pugilism, that your stancework might be off balance by inserting your foot in your mouth.

What on earth is he doing?
Look at the picture and recite out loud:

http://www.wude.org/photos.html

"Don't move! I have spotted a deadly crustation!"

Seriously - THIS is what is wrong with today's kung-fu. (to bring it back to another recent topic/thread)

My God, your right! What was I doing...practicing my form? Why I could have been at the movies...or on the internet! Silly me, trying to improve myself by practicing my form until I got it right. Clearly I shouldn't have displayed my person pra..prac...practicing my art until I'd displayed the level of the excellance of a master.

Um...wait. Just how did the great ones become great? *snaps* Oh, thats right. They practiced. ;)

Almost. Actually my Sifu was a student of Lam Jo by way of Buck Sam Kong twice removed. Indeed I have the highest respect for Sifu Wing Lam. Good question though, I believe Lam Chun Fai asked me the same question last time I was in his living room in Hong Kong. I can well understand why some of those forms would lead you to that assumption.

Quite simply I find that one needs to learn to walk before they can run. Arrowhand, for example, is a wonderful set to teach the uninitiated some of the basics they will later use in their journey; be it in Kung Fu or simply in life (if they so choose not to continue their study).

lkfmdc
07-03-2007, 10:09 PM
In fact I grew up in Hong Kong in the New Territories on the border of China near the Souther district of Guangdong and have a lot of experience in matters dealing with the spoken language there.

So, are you claiming you actually speak Cantonese?

Lama Pai Sifu
07-04-2007, 12:22 AM
As always people seem to form an a snap opinion and run with it, gleefully telling all the others on the playground exactly what they ought think. Its been a few years but I do remember how the bully routine went. Let me see if I remember. You make a snap judgement of me than immediatly try to garner support of all the others to support your position, thus elevating you and making you feel better and someone else's expense.

Hopefully your display of ridicule and poor respect for another of your Kung Fu cousins has made you feel better. Did your Sifu teach you this level of approbation for others in Kung Fu, or is this a self-interest study?

Alas as far as your comments, neither is correct. In fact I grew up in Hong Kong in the New Territories on the border of China near the Souther district of Guangdong and have a lot of experience in matters dealing with the spoken language there.

Can you make the same claim?

While the local dialect is Cantonese, Mandarin is commonly spoken as it is the official state language (and has a tendancy to sound more nasal). It may not have always been that way, but in the last 20 years it certain has. I would suggest, dear cousin of Shaolin pugilism, that your stancework might be off balance by inserting your foot in your mouth.

While I didn't 'grow up' in Hong Kong, as you claim to have, I've been there three times in the last 18 months and since my teacher didn't speak English - I learned to speak Cantonese. I've travelled to Toi San and Fut San where NO ONE really spoke English....so I do have a teeny idea of what I'M talking about.

The fact that you claim that people are mixing languages (not dialects) and intermingling words just shows how you lack any real knowledge about Mandarin or Cantonese - not to mention the part about 'nasal' as being your distinguising trait between the two. What about the number of tones?? Does that ring a bell?

And as far as my manners? Pfft. I don't respect people who attempt to sound like experts and discuss sh1t that they know almost nothing about. I take my KF and my training VERY seriously, as a matter of fact, I've dedicated my life to it. I don't begrude people who are not skilled but do their best - but I can't stand posers and pretenders who try to act like they know all their sh1t. And then have the nerve....no, not nerve, stupidity to post incorrect bull****.

And if you are trying to defend you picture; You posture is not right for half a dozen reasons. Train correctly before you start teaching people. "Water only rises as high as the source" - try to get your own level a little higher, or else your students will be wading in a puddle.

And stop watching so many movies and thinking that the world is full of unrealistic, idealistic martial virtue. It ain't true.

Phacade
07-04-2007, 04:28 AM
The amazing thing about slinging mud is someone is always going to get dirty, regardless if your throwing it or having it thrown at you.

Clearly you you've justified your lack of respect by stating that you believe idealistic martial virtue is only in the movies; so its okay to slam your fellow man. I'm certain your students and your Sifu would very much appreciate your attitude towards someone you've never met and quite honestly don't know anything about. You've made more assumptions in these short few pages than Ray Charles judging a belly dancing contest here. But thats okay, because you've claimed to have made a few trips to China. Your from New York, right? I've been through New York a few times, so clearly I am just as knowledgable about the local customs as you are, right?

You see, anyone can throw a few "claimed to have" phrases into their language and debase someone. Any schoolyard bully can stand up and throw rocks at someone they don't know and then legitimize their bad behavior through the claim that nobody is nice anymore. You believe idealistic martial virtue is only in the movies, and I reject the notion. Without respect, why would we teach? Why would we honor the masters before us and bow respectful to our students and other teachers accordingly?

No sir I refuse to live in your world of cynicism. I choose to be better. I train to make myself a better person, and in becoming a better person, I refuse to lower myself to name calling, accusation, and downright 4th grade schoolyard bullying someone - particularly when I don't know the facts. Granted, looking at your site where you claim to be "one of the most famous traditional Kung-Fu artists of your generation"; I can see where you get your assumption from. I've never heard of you, so how can you be the most famous Kung Fu artist of my generation? Transparently your not, but again I refuse to lower myself to your level simply to get a get a good insult in. You and I are Sifus and therefore better than that. Clearly you've let arrogance (which has no place in the martial arts or Kung Fu in my opinion) influence your own rhetoric however.

Clearly we are going to agree to disagree, although about what I cannot say. You judge me sir based off one photo, a photo I might add that was taken several years back. Having moved to a new school location and having not posted any photos of my kwoon online yet, I choose to post a nostalgic photo from my past....and then someone online decides to puff his chest and blast it. Thats fine. But your attitude speaks volumes about your character Mister Michael Parrella. Perhaps I could assist you? Now of course I'd never suggest you become my student regardless of the positive impact it would have, no sir the distance is too great between our locations, but I would welcome your positive constructive input; and I would be more than happy to reciprocate.

lkfmdc
07-04-2007, 10:23 AM

pretty simple question, why didn't you answer it?

Phacade
07-04-2007, 10:56 AM
pretty simple question, why didn't you answer it?

In all the mud-slinging, I honestly didn't see it. Sorry 'bout that. I moved back to the US in late 1994, at that time I was fluent in Cantonese and so-so in Mandarin (although I did garner a mild chuckle due to my accent). Now only traveling back to HK and the mainland once or so a year to visit my family, I must confess to not being in command of the language. Still it comes back rather easily, seemingly before I leave Lan Tau.

lkfmdc
07-04-2007, 11:01 AM
In all the mud-slinging, I honestly didn't see it. Sorry 'bout that. I moved back to the US in late 1994, at that time I was fluent in Cantonese and so-so in Mandarin (although I did garner a mild chuckle due to my accent). Now only traveling back to HK and the mainland once or so a year to visit my family, I must confess to not being in command of the language. Still it comes back rather easily, seemingly before I leave Lan Tau.

So, let's see if I get this straight, you claim to speak Cantonese but yet also claim it is "OK" to mix dialects?

I speak (in addition to Cantonese and Mandarin) English and some Spanish. I walk into Spanish speaking places in NY quite a lot. Do you think I mix English and Spanish randomly in a sentence?

Hola, how's it going senor, please da me uno those sandwiches con one cafe con lech if you don't mind, thanks and gracis, hasta tomorrow afternoon. see you Lunes at la 12

PLEASE, stop, if you really speak Cantonese then you know that you don't mix dialects.....

Phacade
07-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Hola, how's it going senor, please da me uno those sandwiches con one cafe con lech if you don't mind, thanks and gracis, hasta tomorrow afternoon. see you Lunes at la 12...

*snicker* Yes! I've seen that exact conversation at Taco Bell too!

Excuse me, but I never claimed it was okay to mix dialects. You made that claim and attempted to pin it on me. Obviously someone wouldn't do that (at least not in the same sentence). I believe the phrase "its okay to mix dialects" was your term, not mine. This query of course originated because some of the terms I used on my site were in Cantonese, and some in Mandarin....talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. Now in fact people do use both Mandarin and Cantonese in everyday life there. They might ask a shopkeeper a query in Mandarin and then confirm with their wife in Cantonese - you get the idea.

Someone posted earlier that "thats the problem with Kung today". You know what? This is the problem with Kung Fu today. People are too quick to look for something to complain about, too quick to insult others in the arts, and too willing to point a thumb to their own chest when they ought be offering a helping hand. "Oh his stance is wrong...so your an idiot!" "Oh her Sai Ping Ma is too narrow....obviously she's a fool!" "Oh I don't like how someone answered a question....he knows nothing!" "He didn't agree with me....I'll ridicule him!" This is the problem with Kung Fu, and the martial arts, today. Instead of having an open mind and attempted to increase the arts, people are too busy inflating themselves by knocking others down, looking for confrontation where none exists; and that is in direct conflict with the entire spirit of why we study.

Look all, I am not wanting to argue with anyone. I simply responded to comments that were in error. I'm an optimist, I like to think the best of everyone when possible, and when its not, simply smile and move on. The old saying really is true, if you can't say anything nice, then say nothing at all. People who actively look to insult others, I pity them. But its their choice, and they do so to their own detriment.

This really is all quite moot; of little or no practical value. My Si-Hing was posting the location of our Kwoon's website. Now, insults aside, how can we better our site? Rather than make a personal attack or simply seek to be confrontational for no reason, how may I improve (my website)?

Eddie
07-04-2007, 11:54 AM
[QUOTE=lkfmdc]Hola, how's it going senor, please da me uno those sandwiches con one cafe con lech if you don't mind, thanks and gracis, hasta tomorrow afternoon. see you Lunes at la 12
QUOTE]

:eek:
Wow, you just described the typical south African way of speaking. Not Spanish tho, but down here we (or rather allot of people like me) mix a few languages together in everyday talk. My home language isn’t English, but every third word my son use is either English or from another African language. My mother is constantly complaining about how I mix my languages, but that’s just the way down here. We’ve mixed our languages so much so, that we have even developed a new language called ‘Kasitaal” (location language). African street language.

Very often I’d hear a word from my home language which I never even knew existed. I just used the English term for it.

Ok, sorry for dragging this off topic. This might not even make sense to people outside my geographical area, so apologies for boring you.
:cool:

banditshaw
07-04-2007, 11:57 AM
how may I improve (my website)?

I would take down those photos untill you have ones that are maybe less nostalgic.
Also many people when visiting Martial Arts school sites like to read about the background of the instructors(Lineage Chart,who you trained with,etc.) and also a more detailed curriculum besides just posting forms.
Also in the age of youtube it's probably good to have some clips of you demonstrating techniques or sparring.

The overall design and layout could also improve. Search the web and check out as many schools sites as possible and see for yourself the strenghts and weaknesses of the many schools out there.

Good luck .

iron_silk
07-04-2007, 12:01 PM
He put his website up to be criticized...which is fine since they had valid points...but did they have to be mean about it? no...they are @sses...but you have to have thicker skin than that when you post something up for comments!

When people speak they can do whatever they want (mix dialects) in conversation.

On the other hand if you are putting up an official website best to stick with one dialect, or else it can be confusing and unprofessional, but completely up to you!

Also I don't know the move you were doing in the picture...if the move is done correctly then you can explain that...but if it is not 100% and you were still at the stage of practice when it is not ideal to put it on a website advertising yourself as Sifu.

You can post it up for comments or personal page...but if you are running a school and trying to get students why would you put up a flawed picture??? it doesn't show you in a good light and doesn't proper represent the style.

You wouldn't perform something unless you are ready so why would you put a picture up in a less then flattering light?

ON THE OTHER HAND if it is done correctly then...that's fine and tell them why they are wrong.

If you don't care then stop responding...this is so childish...ha ha ha (so am I guess)

Phacade
07-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Excellant points, thank you! Yeah I intended to put up a instructor page soon (along with several other pages as well...you can see my menu bar is somewhat naked) My Si-Hing is just so proud that we actually have our own website now that he posted it even though its in its infancy. Yep, not my best picture (as far as detail) but the form is correct. It was a cold January morning and I like the way it turned out. Naturally I didn't have my uniform on and given we were using a cheap camera at the time; I had to hold that pose practically forever while my wife tried to get it to focus. Fun times let me tell you. I always intended to put other pictures up on the site once we take a few more inside the Kwoon, but I still needed to post something there seeing as I created that sub-page.

MasterKiller
07-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Almost. Actually my Sifu was a student of Lam Jo by way of Buck Sam Kong twice removed. Indeed I have the highest respect for Sifu Wing Lam. Good question though, I believe Lam Chun Fai asked me the same question last time I was in his living room in Hong Kong. I can well understand why some of those forms would lead you to that assumption.

Are you affiliated with Ray Hildreth?

Phacade
07-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Are you affiliated with Ray Hildreth?

Oddly enough while Sifu Hildreth's Kwoon is actually closer to my house than my own Kwoon is; no. I've been to his Kwoon a couple of times and more recently to one of his tournaments, but no I'm in no way affiliated with Ray Hildreth.

Laukarbo
07-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Hi,
I just would change it to one dialect...

by the way are u sure about this?
Gung Gee Fook Fu (Taming the Tiger)
Later this set was revised by Wong Fei Hung and and Lam Sai Wing by adding the chi gung (breath work) at the beginning of the form. After much practice on this set, Wong and Lam discovered an "I" shape on the ground where they were practicing, so they added the Gung Gee to the front of the name, thus changing it to "Taming the Tiger in an I-pattern".

as I understand the whole first part was added..Fook Fu Kuen is apparently the oldest part and Gung Gee was added later but not only the Hei Gung part in the beginning of Gung Gee.Also the Fook Fu part doesnt really have an I shape...
So i think these are 2 forms pasted together...also the characteristic of the movements in both parts are way different..while Fook Fu is lively Gung Gee is more static...

Fu-Pau
07-04-2007, 07:04 PM
[QUOTE=lkfmdc]Hola, how's it going senor, please da me uno those sandwiches con one cafe con lech if you don't mind, thanks and gracis, hasta tomorrow afternoon. see you Lunes at la 12
QUOTE]

:eek:
Wow, you just described the typical south African way of speaking. Not Spanish tho, but down here we (or rather allot of people like me) mix a few languages together in everyday talk. My home language isn’t English, but every third word my son use is either English or from another African language. My mother is constantly complaining about how I mix my languages, but that’s just the way down here. We’ve mixed our languages so much so, that we have even developed a new language called ‘Kasitaal” (location language). African street language.

Very often I’d hear a word from my home language which I never even knew existed. I just used the English term for it.

Ok, sorry for dragging this off topic. This might not even make sense to people outside my geographical area, so apologies for boring you.
:cool:

LOL That is exactly what i was thinking! In many parts of Africa whole 'languages' such as "chilapalapa" evolved that mix numerous dialects so that the people from numerous tribes can communicate without having to be fluent in a dozen languages.

Phacade
07-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Hi,
I just would change it to one dialect...

by the way are u sure about this?
Gung Gee Fook Fu (Taming the Tiger)
Later this set was revised by Wong Fei Hung and and Lam Sai Wing by adding the chi gung (breath work) at the beginning of the form. After much practice on this set, Wong and Lam discovered an "I" shape on the ground where they were practicing, so they added the Gung Gee to the front of the name, thus changing it to "Taming the Tiger in an I-pattern".

as I understand the whole first part was added..Fook Fu Kuen is apparently the oldest part and Gung Gee was added later but not only the Hei Gung part in the beginning of Gung Gee.Also the Fook Fu part doesnt really have an I shape...
So i think these are 2 forms pasted together...also the characteristic of the movements in both parts are way different..while Fook Fu is lively Gung Gee is more static...

To be perfectly honest, I've read it several ways. Form history is (unfortunatly) somewhat subjective depending where you read it and who's telling it. From my research, I believe it to be the former, but its entirely possible your correct.

Laukarbo
07-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Phacade,me too I read many different variations...

anyway just spoke with my Sifu about it and he says the whole form came out of siu lam as it is..only the one finger to heaven was originally a tigerclaw...
Since my Sifu has this from my Sigung(Lau Kar Leung) I tend to believe this variation..although I made my own researches..which never went beyond the net so I rather believe the word of mouth theory...

so I stand corrected...

where in HK you lived? You said NT..but where?

David Jamieson
07-05-2007, 03:38 AM
one finger to heaven is found in yi jin jing in even the old iterations of the qigong.

it's a shaolin thing. :p

chivalrous hall
07-05-2007, 05:10 AM
Come on u blokes...

if my chut sing pow choy smashes through...whatever it comes up against. do any of u think speaking cantonese or mandarin is really gonna help you.:D

Laukarbo
07-05-2007, 05:36 AM
one finger to heaven is found in yi jin jing in even the old iterations of the qigong.

it's a shaolin thing. :p

can be seen where?

and even if ..in Hung Kuen the one finger to heaven was used post-siulam..

(thats what Luk Ah Choy's spirit told me the other day :p)

Phacade
07-05-2007, 06:26 AM
where in HK you lived? You said NT..but where?

Just Northwest of Sheung Shui is this little hole in the wall village name Kam Tsin. Its pretty old. Cars can only park outside the village or near the Tai Po expressway (which bypasses Kam Tsin, doesn't actually go in it). The houses are about 4-5 feet apart and the sewers are open. Ahhh...there's no place like home.

TenTigers
07-05-2007, 07:57 AM
GGFFK was originally two sets. LSW put the two together as one. In other non-Lam Sai-Wing lines such as Tang Fong's,Gung Ji Kuen and Fuk Fu Kuen are taught separately, and in other lines,such a s my Sifu from Guangzhao's, they are called Dahn Gung Fuk Fu Kuen, and Seurng Gung Fuk Fu Kuen. Also called Boc Fu Kuen, also called Lohan Fook Fu Kuen....
The single finger appears in other places, but in Hung Kuen it is also a patriotic symbol. However, in LSW lines, it is used in many parts of the form, where in other lines, a Tiger Claw, or a Crane wing would be used.

banditshaw
07-05-2007, 08:40 AM

Wow that was a lot of name dropping in one sentence....LOL.

I'm Still a bit confused as to where Your Hung Kuen is from. You being a Sifu with a school website, will you disclose that on your page?

Just curious.

Peace.

taikordai
07-06-2007, 01:09 AM

so what is the big fu$k deal if you speak canto?

tiu nay low mow chow hi

chivalrous hall
07-06-2007, 07:06 AM
Hey Tentigers,

is your dan gong and seurn gong fook fu what most would come to know as gung gee fook fu?? the dan gong and seurn gong we do has nothing to do with gung gee fook fu? interested in knowing more about the ones you do.

cheers bro,

David Jamieson
07-10-2007, 03:27 PM
tiu nay low mow chow hi

uh, no need to be rude dude.

taikordai
07-10-2007, 08:06 PM
uh, no need to be rude dude.

the only language that hum kar chan say pok kai gorilla understand