PDA

View Full Version : non-knife passing drills

Black Jack II
07-02-2007, 12:42 PM
During TenTigers post he was asking what about tma do you happen to have a problem with, one of the topics people brought up in the post was an averison to knife passing/flow drills.

I thought it might be interesting to list some that I do here and maybe others could if they also work with rp based attacker drills. These drills are using a trainer and are not-live blade target cutting drills, I have those if people want to talk about that stuff but these are safety trainer based.

Which includes eye protection, training folder or fixed blade, sometimes using a marking system like chalk, and commonsense. These drills are not mine, they are a collection of western based knifework taken from a number of sources, including old books on the British Homeguard in WW2, other military manuels from the 40's and current self defense based instructors.

It's important to wear standard street clothes in my view and to work any deployment drills with both hands.

1. Stress Deployment- Training partner stands in front of you, to the side or behind and touches some part of your body as a "start" key. You attempt to access your training folder or fixed blade trainer, to a ready position. Your partner will try and interfere with your draw, trapping your arm, jamming, clinching with you, off balancing, using head control. Your job is to complete your draw.

2. Cutting Lose- A training partner stands infront of you and starts woofing using verbal cues, while another training partner grabs you from behind or to the side with any random street hold or grapplign situation applied with intent. Your main goal is to start cutting your self loose.

3. Choke Release- Similar to the last drill but a partner stands in front of you with a kicking/impact shield. You start cycling on the pad but at a random section another training partner puts you into a rear naked choke, your job is to instantly deploy and cut your way loose by working on the attackers arm.

4. Deployment Drill 2- This drill is more aggressive and works on a pre-emptive action in the deployment. Have your training partner or even partners verbally assualt you at first then raise the violence in escalation. Look for the assualt cue setup and try and deploy in a pre-emptive fashion.

5. Ground Grappling Deployment Drill- Have a training partner place you in random ground positions and restraints and on a cue, work on seeing if you can access the trainer and stab/slash attacker and escape.

6. Knife Boxing- I am not a big believer in mano v mano where both men have drawn blades but like contact sparring you learn a lot in a squared off enviroment that is not so situational in texture. Just like it sounds, two guys grabs chalked out trainers, some gear, and away they go, working on intergration of the chaos.

If anyone has any others please share.

TenTigers
07-02-2007, 02:29 PM
those sound excellent.
I would also focus on various ways the knife (knives) are carried, so that anywhere your hand is, you can draw your blade. Right rear hip-variation on isreali gun carry, left belt/cross draw (good for when you are in forward headlock/guillotine), ankle, under arm, behind back, etc.
Also on not only deployment, but concealed carries, as palming, under arm, behind back,etc and then defenses utilizing them.
I like to carry three knives, one which can be thrown, and depending upon the situation, S&W 640 with federal+p hydra-shocks. -unless I'm nekkid in bed, and then just the smith.

Black Jack II
07-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Ten,

Thanks,yeah intergration drills are great. Add in some OC if you carry it, maybe multiple knifes, guns or impact weapons.

IMHO these type of drills touch closer to home than countless hours spent working on passing or energy drills, not that flow drills don't provide some grease for the wheel, but I like this stuff better.