PDA

View Full Version : Help: Need websites that sell wushu weapons

Immortal_Dragon
07-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Hi was wondering if anyone can provide some links, phone number or any information on some companies that sell mainly wushu weapons. I am particularly looking for the 9 ring broadsword thats a little larger than a dao the handle can be held with two hands not just one. I have done some internet searches and haven't really found anything good on that particular weapon. Remember they must be wushu oriented/lightwieght not anchors. Any help is appreciated, thanks

Ben Gash
07-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Our hosts have exactly what you're after http://www.martialartsmart.net/45-62wu30.html

NJM
07-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Why is it that you want a wushu weapon instead of a traditional weapon?

PaiLumDreamer
07-02-2007, 09:43 PM
Maybe he does wushu and competes, and would like a wushu-competition weapon because thats what his school uses.

Why do you practice kung fu instead of MMA? :rolleyes:

GeneChing
07-03-2007, 09:33 AM
We carry the traditional combat version (http://www.martialartsmart.net/45-62cs.html) too. The 9-ring isn't that big a seller. Not a lot of people practice it. So I always encourage it, whether it be the wushu or traditional version.

Commendations to Ben Gash for being so quick on the plug. :)

xcakid
07-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Our swords swing both ways

Somehow, knowing that you are in the Gay....err...I mean Bay Area. That statement just seems wrong for some reason.

Not knocking S.F. Area. I grew up there. Went to Balboa HS and S.F. State. So I call it my home town. However, I am Catholic/Republican. So I live in TX. :D

banditshaw
07-03-2007, 09:54 AM
QUOTE] However, I am Catholic/Republican. So I live in TX. :D[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that.......:p

xcakid
07-03-2007, 09:55 AM
Sorry to hear that.......:p[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm afraid its terminal :D

golden arhat
07-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Sorry to hear that.......:p

Yeah, I'm afraid its terminal :D[/QUOTE]

LOL
thats the best

doctor: i'm afraid ur a republican

David Jamieson
07-03-2007, 12:43 PM
You guys are passing on the written beating this guy came here looking for? I mean, how thick does one need to be to not notice all the freaking wushu items for sale banners?

lol

golden arhat
07-03-2007, 01:47 PM
You guys are passing on the written beating this guy came here looking for? I mean, how thick does one need to be to not notice all the freaking wushu items for sale banners?

lol

cos deep down we're nice ppl

haha yeah right

GeneChing
07-03-2007, 01:56 PM
cos deep down we luv our forum here, and in order to keep it flowin', we need to sell some MartialArtsMart.com (http://www.martialartsmart.com) gear...

lkfmdc
07-03-2007, 02:13 PM
The 9-ring isn't that big a seller. Not a lot of people practice it.

I swear to G'd, it's hysterical you say this, because it was the very first weapon Chan Tai San ever taught me.

Ben Gash
07-03-2007, 03:27 PM
That's interesting. Did you have experience of staff and sabre from other systems?
I really like it, and it's one of the sets I'm glad I know, if that makes sense. It does seem to be less than common.

Immortal_Dragon
07-06-2007, 08:50 AM
To all who replied with a reasonable answer...thanks.

Let me clarify this a little. Yes I found the martialartsmart.com website. However the 9 ring sword that is presented there isn't what I am looking for. The chinese name for the weapon is Jiu Huan Dao. This particular sword has a round ring at the end (end of the handle) with some smaller rings goind around it. There are also nine rings along the back of the sword. The ones I have seen do not have the round ring at the end.

SoCo KungFu
07-06-2007, 09:06 AM

Let me clarify this a little. Yes I found the martialartsmart.com website. However the 9 ring sword that is presented there isn't what I am looking for. The chinese name for the weapon is Jiu Huan Dao. This particular sword has a round ring at the end (end of the handle) with some smaller rings goind around it. There are also nine rings along the back of the sword. The ones I have seen do not have the round ring at the end.

That's going to be difficult because it seems like every time a shipment comes in they are always different. Half the time I back order something the suppliers don't even know what they are getting til they get em in. If you can't get what you want here you might try Brendan Lai's Supply Comp. They sometimes have the one you are looking for. But they don't have an online store. So you going to have to call em. You can get the info here http://www.brendanlaisupply.com/ but honestly I don't see them having anything different than what you can find at the store here.

Ben Gash
07-06-2007, 09:38 AM

The pommel ring makes no difference to the function of the sword, it's the same weapon, just with a different pommel, same as how western swords have different hilt and pommel fittings. The fact of the matter is you may well have to take what you can get, unless you're going to China in the near future. Think yourself lucky, ten years ago you'd have just been able to get a badly balanced traditional weight one, if at all.

GeneChing
07-06-2007, 12:04 PM
The term jiu huan dao literally means 'nine ring curved sword'. It is used to describe any broadsword with nine rings, including some ghost head swords (which have this weird serrated flame-pattern spine with rings on nine of them) and pole arms (like a pudao (http://www.martialartsmart.net/45-82wu.html) with nine rings on the spine). To me, the diversity of the Chinese arsenal is one of it's most exciting characteristics. Anyway, I totally respect you trying to find exactly what you want, Immortal_Dragon. When it comes to unique swords, if you're a true connoisseur, you'll learn to modify weapons to fit your needs. The pros never buy off the rack. They get custom work or they do it themselves.

I feel a ring pommel vs. a cap pommel does have a different feel. It changes the balance. However I think a more significant factor is whether a cap pommel is solid, or if it has a wood core with a braised brass skin. I can be fussy about balance when looking for the 'perfect weapon', but I'll train with anything. In fact, I've always been an advocate of changing up your swords for practice, just so you don't get too attached. Of course, I have dozens of swords in my collection, so I'm probably not the best measure of such things.

So I'm guessing that you're looking for something more like a nan dao (http://www.martialartsmart.net/45-76.html)or a kan dao (http://www.martialartsmart.net/broadtwinkan.html) with rings, yes? Or perhaps something more like a dadao (http://www.martialartsmart.net/451012.html)? It's easy to add rings to a wushu sword (don't even think it with that Hanwei Dadao. You just need a metal drill, a little file work, and a way to make rings. Of course, it's best if you weld the rings shut after, which means you'd need a torch, but with any modification, it all depends how deep you want to get into it. You could also take a nine ring dao with a cap pommel and swap it out for a ring pommel. That's a bit more work since you'd have to refashion a handle, figure out some sort of end cap, and drill and tap a thick ring. You could also continue searching for something off the web.

What kind of guard do you want: a standard oval or an s-shaped guard?

Immortal_Dragon
07-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Gene Ching!

Yep the sword is very very similar to the kan dao with the exception that the 9 rings are missing and there is a slight variation of the pommel ring. I would have purchased that particular kan dao with the intent to "modify" it to my needs, however the pommel ring at the end is off set and not directly centered at the end of the handle. The pommel ring must be centered. The guard can be the standard oval shape. Without actually holding the sword itself, I am not sure I can modify the pommel without breaking it being that I am not a master swordsmith. I may just try it and see. Gene can you provide any other measurements as far as thickness along the handle and pommel area and does martialartsmart.com sell the sword parts?

I may end up buying a kan dao, huan dao and a pu dao all to modify/fuse them into one weapon to create my own sword...as such a process should be part of mastering your study.

Immortal_Dragon
07-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Why is it that you want a wushu weapon instead of a traditional weapon?

Wushu weapons are "replicas" of traditional weapons all with the exception of the weight and manner of its use. Be weary when throwing the term "traditional" around in the MA world.

lol

My apologies. I should have been more specific. I did click on all the wushu banners as well as internet searches. I have been researching this for some time now and it wasn't an overnight event. Martialartsmart.com has been the closest so far for my needs.

That's going to be difficult because it seems like every time a shipment comes in they are always different. Half the time I back order something the suppliers don't even know what they are getting til they get em in. If you can't get what you want here you might try Brendan Lai's Supply Comp. They sometimes have the one you are looking for. But they don't have an online store. So you going to have to call em. You can get the info here http://www.brendanlaisupply.com/ but honestly I don't see them having anything different than what you can find at the store here.

Thanks for the referral. I will call them and inquire.

NJM
07-07-2007, 07:37 AM
Wushu weapons are "replicas" of traditional weapons all with the exception of the weight and manner of its use. Be weary when throwing the term "traditional" around in the MA world.

So you're saying that wushu weapons are more traditionally designed than "traditional" weapons?

Immortal_Dragon
07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
So you're saying that wushu weapons are more traditionally designed than "traditional" weapons?

No.

How on earth did you come to this conclusion?

Shaolin Wookie
07-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Some people will pick a fight about anything.....

It's funny sometimes.

NJM
07-07-2007, 04:39 PM
No.

How on earth did you come to this conclusion?

From the quote I quoted that you quoth.

ChoyLeeFat
07-07-2007, 05:48 PM
njm i think you should re-read wut immortal dragon said....he simply stated wushu weapons are REPLICAS of traditional weapons. In no way did he say they are more traditionally designed than "traditional" weapons....:rolleyes:

GeneChing
07-09-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm afraid I can't really give you measurements. All of these weapons are handmade. It's just not financially viable for any company to make a sword making machine in the 21st century. So the dimensions are subject to variation. In all honesty, it would be hard to modify that kan dao pommel to put the ring on straight. It would be easier just to create a new ring pommel, flatten one side on a belt sander, drill and tap it. The fortunate thing is that almost all Chinese weapons are built with threaded tangs and screw-on pommels. It's not nearly as hard as traditional swords, which were peened. The concept of threading a tang is modern.

Unfortunately, we do not sell parts. There's no real market for sword parts. The only place that I know that sells parts is for western swords (it's my former place of employ - see American Fencer's Supply (www.amfence.com)). I'm not sure they have what you need. They would be able to build something to spec, but you'd have to cajole them quite a bit to do it.

There are a lot of knifemakers and knifemaking catalogs sell all manner of parts that can be modified for swords. You might widen your part search to knife suppliers. I'd also pay a long visit to the local hardware store. They always have a lot of good stuff that will work. I've heard of plenty of people who have made pommels out of stuff like trailer hitches or bedpost tops. You just need to find some sort of ring that's the same size to fit your needs.