PDA

View Full Version : so i dislocated my elbow

golden arhat
07-03-2007, 02:01 AM
phil hip threw meand i landed on my arm to stop my self except he landed on top in side mount

off training for 6 7 weeks :/

following doctors advice

using jow regularly

antbody got any good advice ?

nice one

Shaolin101
07-03-2007, 02:11 AM
did they give you any physio excersises? Not sure on elbows but when i did my shoulder i had to move it now and again so it didn't stiffen and go stale - mine was more a muscle problem though (damaged muscle in shoulder so the arm fall out of the socket as the muscle was too weak to hold it - took quite a bit of tape to hold it in!)

when the arm is back to 100% it might be worth drilling some throws and finding different ways to land - hard and can involve trying to reposition yourself in mid air as you still need to stay clam and adjust your body fast. Not my best point as i still tend to slam down and just protect my head!

for now just sit back and chill - cant even sunbathe as the weather is crap. Just find a good use for the good arm! Use the time to watch endless amounts of martial arts dvds.

golden arhat
07-03-2007, 02:35 AM
they said physio would be detrimental at this stage and to just keep trying to straighten it every now and again gradually

lol we've had 3 dislocated elbows inthe past month its never happened before

all the left arm

all in the one side of the room and all on textbook things that we'd have 1 in a million chance of doing it

weird huh ?

and i know man whats with the weather ? i mean manchester certainly aint hull or wales so no floods yay
but still it has not stopped raining this for the last 4-5 days hows it down in london town ?

and yeah usuall when i get hip thrown (from judo) i just go straight on my back

ahh well u live and learn

then u die and forget it all

Shaolin101
07-03-2007, 04:05 AM
the joys of training - its supposed to be good for your health!

Dont think there is much more you can do really other than the slow movements to keep the joint mobile. Dont get caught in any tight armbars!

London weather is hot, sunny, then wet, then sunny, then downpours - throw in a bit of snow as we have had everything else.

Its summer - i refuse to wear a coat! can go out and get soaked then be dry again in minutes - just to do it all again...

bodhitree
07-03-2007, 04:24 AM
Speedy recovery!

SevenStar
07-03-2007, 05:46 AM
breakfalls bro. work em when you start training again. I have seen everything from sprained joints to broken collar bones, all because of improper breakfalling.

bodhitree
07-03-2007, 05:53 AM
breakfalls bro. work em when you start training again. I have seen everything from sprained joints to broken collar bones, all because of improper breakfalling.

+1

breakfalls are the most important thing to train! proper breakfalls means much more healthy training!

Oso
07-03-2007, 07:16 AM
+1

breakfalls are the most important thing to train! proper breakfalls means much more healthy training!

+2

always add breakfalls to your warmup when you know you're going to be taking falls. we do 10 falls each direction (back, side, side, front) before a throwing class or sparring. imho, it helps the mind realize it needs to be reacting quickly enough to effectively breakfall at full speed.

good luck...i'd add a little glucosamine to the daily diet...i know there's a lot of inconclusive evidence as to it's effectiveness but I think it helps and it won't hurt. don't waste money on chondroiten, imo, most studies i've read don't show that it helps at all.

oh, keep the elbows close to the body :)

TenTigers
07-03-2007, 08:50 AM
sounds like a good argument for the shuai-jiao method of falling. They don't slap out on side falls. For me, I am weighing the pros and cons, and still don't know enough about shuai-jiao to make an educated guess.
On the pro side-much less arm/elbow damage,hands are in and won't be grabbed, hands are protecting the head from follow-up.
on the pro side to standard ukemi-I have fallen many times and some very bad, but ukemi skills saved me. Once landed completely upside down(practicing skipping axe kicks and the supporting leg came out) slapped out and was perfectly fine. If not, would've been paralysed from the neck down, or dead.

golden arhat
07-03-2007, 10:02 AM
lol thanx everyone

i usually break fall fine (ive done judo before) i just thought 'd try sumat different (never again)

can u get glucosamine that doesnt come in the gelatin capsule

does it alter the taste of food cos i have some and i can easily take it out of the capsule

cheers (y)

golden arhat
07-03-2007, 10:04 AM
also anybody got any advice for starting powerlifting after i get better ?

sanjuro_ronin
07-03-2007, 10:58 AM
also anybody got any advice for starting powerlifting after i get better ?

Join a gym with a coach.

As for the elbow, follow the doc and therapists orders and quite being such a baby, you got a spare arm !

:D

xcakid
07-03-2007, 11:01 AM
All I'm saying is....I hope you have a girlfriend.....or six weeks is going to be a long time unless you are ambidextrious. :D

sanjuro_ronin
07-03-2007, 11:02 AM
All I'm saying is....I hope you have a girlfriend.....or six weeks is going to be a long time unless you are ambidextrious. :D

*rimshot* :D

Eddie
07-03-2007, 11:31 AM
dude I feel your pain. Im sitting here with a very stiff neck and a 'severe' concussion from sparring on saturday. Cant move my head, cause my neck is sore, and when I do manage to move it, my head aches from the concussion. Worst of all, my wife is on holiday with my son (i had business that kept me from going) and only gets back on friday, so no one to pamper me :mad:

Oh the joys of training. :cool:

golden arhat
07-03-2007, 12:01 PM

yeah usually i'm spoilt for choice :eek:

sanjuro_ronin
07-03-2007, 12:21 PM
yeah usually i'm spoilt for choice :eek:

Now you're just showing off.