PDA

View Full Version : MMA & Drugs

GeneChing
07-03-2007, 11:49 AM
With today's NYT article, it's time for a drugs in MMA thread like our drugs in pro-wrasslin' thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46996).

Drug Testing Hasn’t Grown With a Sport (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/03/sports/othersports/03fight.html?_r=2&oref=login&oref=slogin)
By MICHAEL WEINREB
Published: July 3, 2007

He insists he has never used performance-enhancing drugs, but Jamal Patterson, a mixed martial arts fighter in the International Fight League, says he has been presumed guilty for years.

“People tell me, ‘You must have done something,’ ” he said in a telephone interview from Hoboken, N.J. “But genetically, I’m just a freak.”

Patterson wrestled in high school and played football at Colgate University. He is 6 feet tall and has slimmed down to 205 pounds for his career in the I.F.L., a team-based mixed martial arts league, which is among several organizations striving to bring this once-underground sport into the mainstream.

Patterson, who competes for the I.F.L.’s Pitbulls, says he knows how crucial public perceptions can be in a pursuit that combines punching, kicking and grappling, and that casual observers sometimes still confuse with professional wrestling.

The sport of mixed martial arts encountered doping problems last month at an event at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. Royce Gracie, a pioneer of the sport, tested positive for the steroid nandrolone; Tim Persey tested positive for methamphetamine; and Johnnie Morton, a former N.F.L. receiver making his M.M.A. debut, had a higher-than-normal ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone in a prefight test, then declined to take a required postfight test. All three were later suspended.

Performance-enhancing drugs would certainly give mixed martial arts fighters a tremendous physical benefit because they can aid strength, endurance and recovery. But mixed martial arts, a young and booming sport, has no national or international governing body and lacks a rigorous drug-testing policy.

“Part of the problem is that there are all these small organizations that fight in garages and on Indian reservations and in strip clubs, and there’s no drug testing, and the rules are very limited,” said Kurt Otto, the commissioner of the I.F.L. “We need to legitimize every aspect of it.”

But Gracie and Morton were competing in a major event, promoted by Fighting and Entertainment Group, which is based in Japan and also promotes K-1, one of the top mixed martial arts organizations.

K-1, like the I.F.L. and the Ultimate Fighting Championship, the two most popular mixed martial arts organizations in the United States, relies primarily on state athletic commissions, which sanction mixed martial arts events in the same way they do boxing and other combat sports, to handle drug testing immediately before or after fights. But this means that in some states, not every fighter will be tested, and those who are tested will know roughly when it is coming.

“In general, I think this should not be done by the government,” said Dr. Gary I. Wadler, an associate professor of medicine at New York University who has served on several committees for the World Anti-Doping Agency. “It should be done by an independent and transparent agency that’s invested in seeing a drug-free sport.”

Drug-testing programs run by athletic commissions differ from state to state. In New Jersey, which has held several mixed martial arts events this year, all fighters are tested. A positive test for performance-enhancing or recreational drugs results in a 90-day suspension, according to Nick Lembo, counsel to the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board. A second positive test results in a minimum six-month suspension and mandatory enrollment in an inpatient drug treatment facility. A third positive results in a minimum two-year ban. The law also requires that other states honor those suspensions, Lembo said.

California recently began testing all fighters. Gracie was suspended for a year from the date of the fight (June 2) and fined $2,500, pending his appeal.

But at least one state does no drug testing at all.

“Our policy is that it’s up to the promoter to do the testing,” said Patrick Shaughnessy, a spokesman for the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, which sanctioned 23 mixed-martial events in 2006 and 13 through June 30 this year.

The Ultimate Fighting Championship held its first event in Texas in April in Houston, and none of the fighters were tested, said Marc Ratner, the U.F.C.’s vice president for regulatory affairs. “That doesn’t make sense to me,” he said.

Ratner, who spent 13 years as executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, said the U.F.C. hired an independent laboratory to test four fighters at an event last month in Ireland.

Ratner also said that the U.F.C. had a clause in every fighter’s contract reserving the right to test randomly. Those tests, for performance-enhancing and recreational drugs, Ratner estimated, have been used only about half a dozen times. He said none had come up positive.

Neither the Ultimate Fighting Championship nor the International Fight League have a formal policy for the punishment and appeals process for fighters who fail a drug test.

Otto said he hoped the I.F.L. would have a program in place before the 2008 season begins. The league recently reached an oral agreement with USA Wrestling aimed at luring college wrestlers into the league, and Otto said he would work with national wrestling officials to develop a policy.

His hope, he said, was that mixed martial arts would eventually become an Olympic sport, which would mean it would be under the jurisdiction of the United States and World antidoping agencies.

Patterson and Pitbulls Coach Renzo Gracie, a cousin of Royce Gracie, said they hoped the I.F.L. would adopt random testing. “It’s not a witch hunt,” Gracie said. “It’s what the sport asks for.”

Otto was hesitant about whether the league would enlist an independent organization to oversee testing.

Travis Tygart, general counsel for United States Anti-Doping Agency, said independent oversight was a necessity with any testing program.

“Hopefully these new sports will recognize that they’re going to have to face these issues down the road, so they might as well do it now,” Tygart said. “They have to ask themselves: Are we going to hold on to the true value of sport? Or are we just going to be pure entertainment?”

The Jonny Morton thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46697) is slightly related.

sanjuro_ronin
07-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Performance enhancement drugs are a part of life in sports, we just have to decided if we want them there or not.

GeneChing
07-03-2007, 01:49 PM
From AOL Sports....

Not Enough Drug Testing in MMA? (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/07/03/not-enough-drug-testing-in-mixed-martial-arts/)
Michael David Smith
Posted Jul 3rd 2007 8:20AM by Michael David Smith

Under the headline "Drug Testing Hasn't Grown With a Sport," the New York Times has an article today saying mixed martial arts "has no national or international governing body and lacks a rigorous drug-testing policy."

It's an interesting piece and it's worth reading, especially after Royce Gracie, winner of the first Ultimate Fighting Championship (pictured) tested positive for steroids. But it suffers from the fundamental flaw that much of the mainstream media coverage of mixed martial arts has: It doesn't seem to fully grasp the distinction between the Ultimate Fighting Championship and other mixed martial arts organizations.

At one point, the article refers to "the I.F.L. and the Ultimate Fighting Championship, the two most popular mixed martial arts organizations in the United States." That's kind of like saying "Arena Football and the NFL, the two most popular football leagues in the United States." It's true, but it doesn't quite capture the huge gap in the leagues' popularity. UFC is by far the most popular mixed martial arts league, and IFL isn't even close.

UFC has a drug testing policy that, while it could be strengthened, has done a lot to take the league into the mainstream. Lumping UFC in with other, smaller mixed martial arts organizations is inaccurate and unfair.

Becca
07-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Jamal Paterson (http://www.sherdog.com/news/Picture_gallery.asp?f_id=15887&pic_id=30691)

People who likely ARE doping (http://search.live.com/images/results.aspx?q=Body+Builders&mkt=en-US#focal=6dbb5e10ec9ddb7785c0128e07088a16&furl=http%3a%2f%2fblog.sellsiusrealestate.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2006%2f06%2fbody_builders.jpg)

I don't get how people could mistake his talent for doping... It's not like 'roids are hard to see in a high level athlete...:confused:

bodhitree
07-03-2007, 04:08 PM
This Thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46996) has plenty of links about MMA athletes and steroids.

Royal Dragon
07-03-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm dissapointed Gracie's test came back hot...... so much for BJJ's *Proven* results now...it's all chemically enhanced.

Black Jack II
07-03-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm dissapointed Gracie's test came back hot...... so much for BJJ's *Proven* results now...it's all chemically enhanced.

Dude that is a huge stretch of a comment. Roids does not instill skill, gameness or dedication to one's craft.

Deca did not give him these things.

SifuAbel
07-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Yeah, gameness comes from not showering.

sanjuro_ronin
07-04-2007, 04:35 AM
The vast majority of drugs should be labeled "training enhancement" drugs rather then "performance", simple because they allow one to train harder, longer with less recovery.
Sure there are some that taken that day of competition can boost performance, but usually one takes them to improve the training stage, like steroids.

Nevertheless, we as specators must decide, so I want to see a 11 sec 100 meter dash or a 9.79 ?
Do I want to see 1000lbs deadlift or a 700 ?
Do I want to see an someone the looks like an athlete of a freak?

Merryprankster
07-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Becca,

You can't "see roids." Lots of guys out here who take steroids aren't doing it to get huge or cut or ripped.

Steroids basically work like this, without getting into specifics: They improve protein synthesis and use in the body. This directly translates to improved damage repair, which directly translates to improved recovery time. They can also improve (or worsen) mood etc, depending. Side effects from steroids vary from roid to roid and person to person.

Anyway the point is that steroids allow you to train harder, longer, more often. This is why they are so popular in cycling. Those guys aren't exactly behemoths...

While you might gain some muscle mass depending on what you are doing, it is only if you choose to train in a way that increases your muscle mass that you're going to see those kind of results. *shrug*

As to steroids in the sport, you bet. Of course they are there....they're there in the amateur competitions even worse, and I've got almost complete suspicion that one guy I've competed against was taking steroids, and sheer odds tell me there were probably more. ESPECIALLY in the "submission grappling" side of the house, which seems to attract its share of thuggish tough guys *sigh*. Gi doesn't seem to attract the same demographic exactly the same, for some reason.

Becca
07-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Ah. I see now. I guess I never really looked into what they do. I just bought into the hype about only vain people using them to get big. Even a cyclist is boud to want to be ripped, right? I could see the point in blood doping, but never realized you can get similar benifits from 'roids.

I guess it's more than just vanity. It also makes it harder to discide if it is wrong or not. I have been frusterated many a time when I couldn't train as hard as I might want to, and I don't have a pay check riding on it. It's a big rist to the fighter's health but, then again, fighting is a big risk to the fighter's health. One part of me wants to say that it is the athlete's desision wether or not they damage his/her body this way. But then again, should those who choose not to be handi-caped that way? Do the drugs really boost the performance enough to make an otherwise lack-luster fighter better?

Tough call.:confused:

Black Jack II
07-05-2007, 09:35 AM
Merry is right, but from a groundlevel perspective there are a LOT of different people with different set viewpoints out there on why they are taking roids.

The old guy trying to stay fit, the young bucks thinking its a body in a syringe, the lifter, the smuck who stacks everything under the sun.

Personally I think they should be legal to consenting adults but its not my call.

MightyB
07-21-2007, 02:35 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ki-roids071907&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I believe that Royce initially retired from UFC back in the day 'cuz of the roided fighters. Somewhere's around UFC 3 or 4.

GeneChing
10-17-2007, 01:59 PM
...or Canadian bacon...whatever they call it... :o

Canadian MMA fighter Bill Mahood suspended after positive steroids test (http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5iimxd9bCmoXu0kOtBlTt1m9dVRIw)

Canadian mixed martial arts fighter Bill (The Butcher) Mahood has been suspended for one year and fined US$2,500 after testing positive for steroids, according to the California State Athletic Commission.

Mahood tested positive for Drostanolone at the Sept. 29 StrikeForce at the Playboy Mansion show, the commission said Monday.

The native of Prince George, B.C., lost to Bobby Southworth in the first round that night, submitting because of an injury. Mahood's purse was US$1,000.

The 40-year-old Mahood, whose record is 16-6-1, is a veteran fighter who has competed in the UFC, Bodog, King of The Cage and TKO circuits.

lkfmdc
10-17-2007, 02:07 PM
CSAC: Adam Smith Tests Positive for Steroids, Cocaine and Marijuana

Posted by MMA Junkie on October 17, 2007 at 2:35 pm ET

Adam Smith has made mixed-martial-arts history — for all the wrong reasons.

The California State Athletic Commission today announced that Smith, who dropped a unanimous decision to Dewey Cooper last month at a Strikeforce show, has tested positive for anabolic agents with metabolites for both Nandrolone and Stanozolol. In addition to those steroids, the CSAC announced earlier this month that Smith also tested positive for cocaine and marijuana.

Smith becomes the first athlete in the state of California to test positive for anabolic agents and drugs of abuse at the same time.

With the two failed tests, Smith is now suspended a total of 21 months and fined a total of $4,000.

According to paperwork filed with the CSAC, Smith earned just $500 for the fight.

“Strikeforce at the Playboy Mansion” took place Sept. 29 in Beverly Hills, Calif. The event was streamed online at Yahoo! Sports, though Smith’s bout appeared on the un-televised undercard.

Shaolin Wookie
10-20-2007, 06:28 AM
If you mix your martial arts, sooner or later, you're going to mix your drugs.

MMA is like weed---it's a gateway.......

WinterPalm
10-20-2007, 10:44 AM
As soon as I saw Sakuraba/Royce II, I knew that he was juicing. The guy has fought competitively on and off for years, including against Matt Hughes, and he didn't look anywhere near the shape he was in there.

But for the most part, you cannot tell if someone is juicing it or not. Tim Sylvia got popped and he's not exactly a Mr. Universe type!

GeneChing
10-30-2007, 11:33 AM
I just didn't feel like making a new thread for MMA & ice. :o

Sentencing For MMA Fighter Delayed In U.S. District Court (http://www.pacificnewscenter.com/default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=100&twindow=Default&mad=No&sdetail=14757&wpage=&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=&ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=&rebed=&rebath=&subname=&pform=&sc=1718&hn=pacificnewscenter&he=.com)
Pacific News Center Staff Reporter 30.OCT.07
6:55 p.m. There's been a delay in the sentencing of convicted drug dealer Layton Ray Borja today in District Court. District Court Judge Frances Tydingco-Gatewood continued Borja's sentencing until November 19th in order to be able to call police officers in as witnesses.

Borja, a mixed martial arts fighter, faces a minimum sentence of up to 12 years and seven months in prison for possession with intent to deliver crystal methamphetamine, or the drug ‘ice’.

Because of his record as a career criminal, Borja faced a higher sentence, but the district court ruled that since the judgments on his Superior Court drug convictions in 2003 and 2005 were not entered into the record by the Superior Court Clerk's Office until just two months ago, the U.S. Attorney's office is now unable to ask for more time behind bars.

Unified Court Spokesman Dan Tydingco says a review of Superior Court procedures is under way in light of the revelation that Borja’s cases were not properly docketed

GeneChing
12-18-2007, 10:44 AM
Any steroid stats for WWE? Just curious.

MMA not immune to steroid issues (http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-mmaroids121707&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Dave Meltzer, Yahoo! Sports

With last week’s release of baseball’s Mitchell Report, as well as suggestions for improving the game, it's a good time to take a look at mixed martial arts and how to combat performance enhancing drugs.

One of the big problems with this topic, in all sports, is that the athletes have been taught, out of basic self-preservation, to lie about usage. It is a natural defensive mechanism: the public considers performance-enhancing drug use cheating, but the players who use rationalize that it's something the public doesn't understand.

So it becomes difficult to combat the problem, because there is no simple solution, and working on the complex question of how to truly level the playing field requires admitting the problem is widespread.

Worse, because the problem is widespread, it does the athletes no favors.

Every fighter who has a good physique, whether clean or not, is widely not just suspected but presumed to be on steroids. Since top-level fighters train extremely hard, those with good genetics are going to be pretty muscular to begin with, particularly when competing in a weight-class sport. The goal is to have the most muscle possible at a given weight, which makes body fat your enemy. So a clean, hard trainer with some genetic gifts is in many circles a suspect.

Even worse, those who train hard are suspected because steroids help in recovery from training. Those who show great strength, explosiveness, or simply stay competitive at an older age, are also the heaviest suspects.

In many cases, there is probably truth to the matter. But sadly, there have been athletes with great physiques who trained exceptionally hard and somehow managed to recover from that training who were strong and had great longevity long before athletes were using and abusing steroids.

And they competed at times when equipment, training techniques and knowledge of nutrition were primitive compared with today. But it's sad that some of the most successful performers who train the hardest have people saying, wink-wink, they must be on something. And this comes with no evidence except the fact they are successful, are in shape and train very hard, things they should be admired for.

Mixed martial arts has its own unique set of issues. With the sport still in its infancy, any perception that it may be a drug sport could risk alienating the public. A steroid issue won't affect the NFL’s bottom line, but the last thing MMA needs is the idea its fighters are guys on steroids beating each other up. MMA has had to work very hard to clean up what had been a largely unfair public image.

For a fringe sport, the steroid label can be ****ing, both when it comes to sponsorship and mainstream acceptance. Bodybuilding, powerlifting, weightlifting and track & field, even at the top level, have virtually no mainstream interest today as compared with previous generations, all in large part because of the drug cloud that hangs over all of their heads.

But the fact is, steroids work. In baseball, it's one thing to try to get an edge to keep your job. In MMA, there are limited numbers of jobs with top organizations. If you are outgunned in MMA it's not a matter of having your long fly balls caught or going over the fence, it's a matter of avoiding getting beaten up. That's quite the incentive to rationalize what you are doing isn't cheating, particularly if you think everyone is doing it, including your opponent. Potential health risks never scared athletes in other sports, but in this one you choose between an immediate health risk of being beaten up that you know is real, or a potential long-term health risk that many rationalize won't happen to them.

In California, over the past eight months, there have been 15 steroid positives in 54 MMA events, including major names like Royce Graice, Johnnie Morton, Phil Baroni and Sean Sherk, even though all but Morton publicly claimed they were innocent. Keep in mind that on most of the smaller events, only around six competitors per show were tested. On big events like UFC, K-1 and Strikeforce, every competitor was tested.

During the same time frame, there were two steroid positives in 85 pro boxing events in California and no positives in 13 kickboxing events.

In recent years, three UFC champions – Tim Sylvia, Josh Barnett and Sherk – tested positive in championship matches that they won. In Barnett's case, he tested positive the night he won the heavyweight championship from Randy Couture. Barnett and Sherk were stripped of their title while Sylvia voluntarily relinquished his before it would have been taken away.

PRIDE fighting superstars came to the U.S. this year and, as a general rule, were disappointments. PRIDE did not test for steroids before or after Japanese events, and the fact that fighters who excelled under those conditions did not do so with testing in place led to plenty of speculation.

Without steroids, fighters feel different. They don't have the same level of power or aggressiveness. Whether it always works, when fighters are facing a guy they presume is on steroids, their strategy is very different. They often rely on playing an early defensive game when the opponent would be at his strongest, thinking the early boost works against them in later rounds.

At this point, few MMA promotions do any drug testing. Most rely on the local state athletic commission. UFC has done random testing when they have run shows in the United Kingdom, because their equivalent of athletic commissions do not oversee MMA events.

This leads to inconsistent application and inconsistent punishment. California has a one-year penalty for a positive, but if you complain about it, there's a good chance it'll be cut to six months. Nevada seems to have a uniform nine months. Nevada fines a percentage of the purse, while California fines everyone, whether they make $500 for a match or $500,000, the same $2,500.

In Nevada and New Jersey, if you win a fight and test positive for performance-enhancing drugs, the result will likely be changed to a no contest. In California, the result stands, so Royce Gracie still has a recorded victory over Kazushi Sakuraba (after which he tested positive for steroids), which wouldn't be the case if that fight had been in Nevada.

On a positive note, MMA fighters, at least in key states, are tested by an outside agency. That probably makes the results more credible than a league whose best interests are in keeping taint away from its superstars. There has been much controversy over allegations baseball players were tipped off a day ahead of testing, and thus perverting the process.

In MMA, every fighter not only knows days ahead, but usually a month or two ahead, when he is going to be tested – the day before or day of the fight. But a fighter is not tested between fights.

The current process is better than nothing, but it is inadequate for combating the significance of the problem. Fighters have to be under the fear that an unannounced test can come at any time and with no warning. Without that, it becomes a game of learning to time how many days before a test your body clears whatever substance you are using. There is no deterrent for using, only for using during a short time frame before a fight.

The major promoters and major commissions need to work together to come up with a system that creates a uniform policy, both for suspensions, and overturning wins by fighters who test positive.

Ultimately, anything short of unannounced year-around testing isn't going to act as a significant deterrent, or leave anyone with full confidence in the system.

That leads to the worst problem of all. The fighters who are clean are not only at a competitive disadvantage in a sport where that disadvantage can mean a lot of physical pain, but if they are talented enough and train hard and smart enough to overcome it and dominate, they become the ones suspected the most.

sanjuro_ronin
12-18-2007, 11:08 AM
And they competed at times when equipment, training techniques and knowledge of nutrition were primitive compared with today. But it's sad that some of the most successful performers who train the hardest have people saying, wink-wink, they must be on something. And this comes with no evidence except the fact they are successful, are in shape and train very hard, things they should be admired for.

This is so naive...

GeneChing
01-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Busted MMA fighters can be quite different than busted teachers (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48947).

MMA's Borja to serve 12 years in prison (http://www.guampdn.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080104/NEWS01/801040306/1002)
By Stephanie Godlewski
Pacific Daily News
smgodlewski@guampdn.com

Leyton Borja, a mixed martial arts fighter, was sentenced to 151 months in prison with rehabilitation treatment to be determined by the Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse. Judge Frances Tydingco-Gatewood waived any fine due to Borja's inability to pay.

He was also ordered to undergo three years of supervised release after his prison sentence, and received credit for time served.

Borja was arrested in February of last year for possession of methamphetamine hydrochloride, also known as ice, with intent to distribute.
The fighter had pleaded guilty. His initial sentencing was continued after contention arose over whether he assaulted a police officer at the time of his arrest.

The court asked the prosecution to bring to court the officers present during the incident to testify as to what occurred.

Airport police officer Keith Santos testified that Borja had assaulted him by throwing a police scanner at him then pushing him against a railing. Guam Police Department Sgt. James Santos testified yesterday that when he came upon the scene, two police officers were attempting to restrain Borja, but he was being "very combative and belligerent."

Defense attorney Howard Trapp, however, noted that James Santos had not seen how the incident began and whether Borja had incited it.

As the hearing continued, the prosecution argued that due to Borja's extensive mixed martial arts training, he posed a risk of serious bodily injury to the arresting officers.

Trapp argued that due to his mixed martial arts training, Borja was versed in how to cause serious injury, but didn't do so.

"I don't think we should give him six points for being a mixed martial arts fighter," Trapp said.

Tydingco-Gatewood ruled that Borja did pose a threat and therefore the six points were added to the offense level. Guidelines stated Borja should be sentenced to 151 months to 188 months in prison and be forced to pay a fine of $15,000 to $1 million.

After further arguments, Tydingco-Gatewood ruled on the lower end of the scale, taking into account recommendations from the prosecution, probation, Borja's difficult childhood and previous success at rehabilitation.

Becca
01-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Interesting... I'm assuming the "points" that were added would make the charges worse, the way a 3 point trafic violation becomes a 5 point violation if you are found to be under the influence...

There's two sides to that. If the fighter really wanted to do harm, he would not have simply shoved the arresting officer. On the other hand, with his extensive training, he had to know that the authorities would treat any sign of hostility from him much more seriously that they would from, say, a nun... Of course, he was trying to sell drugs, so he couldn't have been that bright...:rolleyes:

GeneChing
03-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Maybe this should go on the Frank Shamrock Cung Le thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48455). I'll do a cross link.

MMA Fighter's Medical Marijuana Leads to Trouble With California Athletic Commission (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/03/27/mma-fighters-medical-marijuana-leads-to-trouble-with-california/)
Michael David SmithPosted Mar 27th 2008 8:29PM by Michael David Smith

Nick Diaz is a mixed martial arts fighter who was scheduled to fight in Saturday night's EliteXC event in San Jose, California.

But the California State Athletic Commission has refused to license him for the fight. And the reason, according to EliteXC President Gary Shaw, is that Diaz has a prescription for medical marijuana. His manager Cesar Gracie says Diaz uses marijuana to combat attention deficit disorder:

"Nick is a naturalist by heart," said Gracie. "He thinks Ritalin is an amphetamine. He thinks that's really bad for you. People with ADD are kind of hyper, so he has trouble sleeping. He got the medical marijuana card and he takes his pot to go to sleep and be more focused. It's completely legal in California. Voters voted it in. The commission is actually supposed to obey that, so this will probably open up a legal case. If it was something small, OK, f---- it, whatever. But if they're not even going to allow him to test clean, that doesn't make sense. That's overstepping their boundaries."

But the Commission says that no matter what state law is on medical marijuana, it has its own rules, and that Diaz is in violation of those rules. Diaz, who last year was fined $3,000 by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for a positive marijuana test, will be out the $50,000 purse he would have earned for Saturday night's fight. He is expected to fight next in Hawaii in June.

1bad65
03-28-2008, 04:20 PM
They do not test for drugs in Texas.

Your blood is only tested for AIDS and Hepatitis.

jackmcmanus21
04-01-2008, 01:15 PM
The only way they could really put a hammer on the steroid issue is if they tested every fighter before and after every event. It is going to be tough to police it.

GeneChing
07-30-2008, 09:52 AM
Does anyone else get stuck on the phone part of oxymorPHONE?

MMA fighters test positive for illegal painkillers (http://winnipegsun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/07/30/6303656-sun.html)
By THE CANADIAN PRESS

Two mixed martial arts fighters, taking part in different cards the same night in July, have tested positive for the powerful painkiller oxymorphone.

James (The Sandman) Irvin failed a drug test in Nevada while fellow light-heavyweight Justin (The Executioner) Levens was nabbed in California.

Irvin, who also tested positive for methadone, was beaten in the main event of a UFC card July 19 in Las Vegas. Levens was slated to compete the same night in Anaheim, Calif., on rival promoter Affliction's debut event. Ironically, the 28-year-old Levens did not fight that night due to time constraints.

Drugs.com lists methadone and oxymorphone as narcotic pain relievers, similar to morphine. They are not approved by the Nevada and California athletic commissions and both are on the World Anti-Doping Agency's prohibited list.

Levens (9-8) has been suspended until Jan. 15, 2009, and fined US$1,000. Levens' purse that night was reportedly $6,000.

Irvin (14-4-1), who faces a suspension and fine, has been requested to answer the Nevada commission's allegation in writing. His purse was $20,000

Three Harmonies
07-30-2008, 09:55 AM
SH!T! Silva hit's so hard his opponents are STILL knocked the f&$k out, even when doped up on pain killers!!
Silva is the bomb! Mark my words he is going to be neck to neck with Fedor for the best ever!
Cheers
Jake :)

mkriii
07-30-2008, 01:20 PM
ah heck, what's the harm in doing a little deca or a little d-ball from time to time. A good roid rage is good for ya. Let's ya get out all the stress and tention thats been building up inside. If ya smoke a little weed it will melow you out and you'll be back to normal in a matter of a few tokes.

GeneChing
02-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Mixed martial arts fighter Nick Diaz suspended in Nevada for positive post-bout marijuana test (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/othersports/boxing-mma/mixed-martial-arts-fighter-nick-diaz-suspended-in-nevada-for-positive-post-bout-marijuana-test/2012/02/22/gIQA1H8hTR_story.html)
By Associated Press, Published: February 22

LAS VEGAS — Mixed martial arts fighter Nick Diaz won’t be competing in Nevada any time soon.

The Nevada Athletic Commission on Wednesday handed the UFC welterweight a temporary suspension for testing positive for marijuana after his Feb. 4 loss to Carlos Condit in Las Vegas.

Commission executive Keith Kizer says Diaz can respond to the positive drug test allegation at a full disciplinary hearing if he seeks reinstatement. No hearing date was set.

Diaz lost his license for six months and was fined $3,000 by the commission after another positive marijuana test following a win in 2007.

Diaz manager-trainer Cesar Gracie didn’t immediately respond to a message at his business in Pleasant Hill, Calif. Are there any other MMA fighters who use medical marijuana?

GeneChing
02-04-2015, 09:38 AM
UFC STATEMENT ON ANDERSON SILVA (http://www.ufc.com/news/UFC-Statement-Anderson-Silva)

February 03, 2015

“On February 3, 2015, the UFC organization was notified by the Nevada State Athletic Commission that Anderson Silva tested positive for Drostanolone metabolites on his Jan. 9 out of competition drug test. UFC’s understanding is that further testing will be conducted by the Commission to confirm these preliminary results.
“Anderson Silva has been an amazing champion and a true ambassador of the sport of mixed martial arts and the UFC, in Brazil as well as around the world. UFC is disappointed to learn of these initial results.
"The UFC has a strict, consistent policy against the use of any illegal and/or performance enhancing drugs, stimulants or masking agents by its athletes."

UFC STATEMENT ON NICK DIAZ (http://www.ufc.com/news/UFC-Statement-Nick-Diaz)

February 03, 2015

"The UFC has been notified by the Nevada State Athletic Commission that Nick Diaz has tested positive for marijuana metabolites following his fight with Anderson Silva at UFC 183 on Jan. 31 in Las Vegas, Nev. The UFC has a strict, consistent policy against the use of any illegal and/or performance enhancing drugs, stimulants or masking agents by our athletes. As a result of his positive test, Diaz has been informed that he has violated the UFC Fighter Conduct Policy and Promotional Agreement with Zuffa, LLC. The UFC organization will fully respect the Commission’s decision relating to Diaz at a hearing set for February 17."

I forgot about this thread. I was posting Jon 'Bones' Jones (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?60048-Jon-Bones-Jones) recent drug fail on Busted-MMA-fighters-and-fights (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?52219-Busted-MMA-fighters-and-fights) when it really should have been here.

curenado
02-04-2015, 10:47 AM
I did not know mma was ever for the purpose of appeasing anyone but mma fighters.
If the floppy underwear is going to uniform Everlast trunks, something else will have to be started so mma can become an Olympic sport.
(Bah. It will be ruined for most, but promoters and a handful of fighters...)

sanjuro_ronin
02-04-2015, 01:21 PM
I forgot about this thread. I was posting Jon 'Bones' Jones (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?60048-Jon-Bones-Jones) recent drug fail on Busted-MMA-fighters-and-fights (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?52219-Busted-MMA-fighters-and-fights) when it really should have been here.

Steroids is, like I have said many times along with HGH, used through out the sports fighting world, pro, amateur and recreational alike.
Nothing new here and that Silva was one them explains how quickly he recovered from his injury to get back to being his old self.
As for marijuana, people laugh at this because they don't understand the value of marijuana in the fight game.
Think about it.
While the obvious side effects that are detrimental are clear, some forget that for grapplers, the relaxed and mellow state where things appear to slow down, is very beneficial for them.
Not to mention the pain aspect. Marijuana is know for decrease the perception of pain.
I don't think that MJ can be viewed as a PED per say, no more than cocaine or PCP for example BUT put it this way:
If it doesn't have a benefit, why do it?

GeneChing
02-04-2015, 04:51 PM
Anderson Silva: "I have not taken any performance enhancing drugs" (http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/anderson-silva-i-have-not-taken-any-performance-enhancing-drugs-020415?cmpid=tsmtw%3Afscom%3Aufconfox)
Damon Martin
FOX Sports
FEB 04, 2015 6:26p ET
http://a2.fssta.com/content/dam/fsdigital/fscom/UFC/images/2015/01/31/013115-UFC-Is-He-Ready-JL-BB-PI.vadapt.955.high.0.jpg
Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images / Getty Images North America

Anderson Silva broke his silence in a statement released on Wednesday

Anderson Silva has broken his silence in a prepared statement released to the media on Wednesday, just a day after the Nevada State Athletic Commission released test results that showed the former UFC middleweight champion tested positive for two different performance enhancing drugs.
Silva had never tested positive for any drugs during any phase of his career before now, but the test results showed the 39-year old Brazilian was positive for both Drostanolone and Androstane, two different kinds of steroids.
Silva released a statement through his manager Ed Soares denying any wrongdoing.
"I've been competing in this sport for a very long time. This is my nineteenth fight in the UFC. I have been thoroughly tested many times and have never had a positive drug test," Silva said.
"I have not taken any performance enhancing drugs. My stance on drugs is, and will always be, the same. I'm an advocate for a clean sport."
The testing was done by the Sports Medicine Research and Testing Laboratory, a World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) accredited lab.
Silva says that he will continue to fight the charges made against him, but will make no further public statement following the one released on Wednesday.
"I'm consulting with my advisors right now to explore all of my options and intend to fight this allegation and clear my name," Silva said. "I will not make any further comments until my team advises me to do so."
Nevada State Athletic Commission chairman Francisco Aguilar spoke to FOX Sports on Wednesday confirming that the governing body will address Silva's test in their next meeting on Feb. 17 where a temporary suspension will likely be handed down. From there, Silva has the right to request a second test on the 'B' sample collected during the initial collection on Jan. 9.
Silva will be responsible to pay for the additional testing if it's requested.
Following the initial meeting in February, the commission will then work to schedule a time for the full disciplinary hearing where Silva will be allowed to present his case. The hearing will likely be held in March although Aguilar stated that the commission will work with Silva and his team to make sure the timing is convenient for everybody involved.

As for marijuana, people laugh at this because they don't understand the value of marijuana in the fight game.
Think about it.
While the obvious side effects that are detrimental are clear, some forget that for grapplers, the relaxed and mellow state where things appear to slow down, is very beneficial for them.
Not to mention the pain aspect. Marijuana is know for decrease the perception of pain.
I don't think that MJ can be viewed as a PED per say, no more than cocaine or PCP for example BUT put it this way:
If it doesn't have a benefit, why do it?
Fighters have short memories (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?66947-Brain-injuries-amp-MMA), just like potheads. Remember Bruce Lee? How about Michael Phelps? Both potheads. ;)

wenshu
02-04-2015, 04:58 PM
I attribute all my recent gains to my new pre-workout; Sour Diesel.

GeneChing
02-10-2015, 05:44 PM
Yet another UFC fail. :(

Hector Lombard fails drug test (http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/12306313/hector-lombard-tests-positive-anabolic-steroid-removed-ufc-186-bout)
Updated: February 10, 2015, 3:36 PM ET
By Brett Okamoto | ESPN.com

UFC welterweight Hector Lombard has tested positive for an anabolic steroid in a test he submitted after defeating Josh Burkman at UFC 182 on Jan. 3 in Las Vegas.

Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Bob Bennett confirmed the results to ESPN.com on Tuesday. MMA Fighting first reported Lombard's failed test.

Lombard (35-4-1) tested positive for desoxymethyltestosterone, according to lab reports. The sample was collected Jan. 3 and reported to the NSAC on Jan. 13.

News of the failed test comes immediately after the UFC announced on Tuesday that a scheduled fight between Lombard and Rory MacDonald at UFC 186 on April 25 had been canceled. The UFC did not provide details on why the bout had been pulled at that time.

UFC director of communications Dave Sholler acknowledged to ESPN.com that Lombard was removed due to the failed test. The UFC is exploring new options for MacDonald.

A former Bellator MMA middleweight champion, Lombard signed with UFC in 2012 and dropped to the welterweight division in 2013. He has compiled a 3-0 record since, aligning himself toward a potential title shot in 2015.

He faces a fine and suspension due to the failed test. His unanimous decision win against Burkman will likely change to a no-contest.

Burkman (27-11) commented via Twitter shortly after the news broke.

Joshua Burkman ✔ @JoshBurkman
Follow

I still respect @HectorLombard as a man and as a Martial Artist. I am never surprised when pro athletes get caught w PED's.
12:05 PM - 10 Feb 2015
49 Retweets 51 favorites

Retweet
Favorite

GeneChing
02-17-2015, 03:47 PM
Anderson Silva fails 2nd drug test (http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/12338927/anderson-silva-fails-second-drug-test)
Updated: February 17, 2015, 5:05 PM ET
By Brett Okamoto | ESPN.com

LAS VEGAS -- Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva has failed a second drug test administered by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

NSAC executive director Bob Bennett confirmed to ESPN.com on Tuesday that Silva, 39, failed his postfight urine test after a unanimous decision win against Nick Diaz at UFC 183 on Jan. 31.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2015/0204/mma_g_silva_jv_600x600.jpg
Josh Hedges/Getty Images
Anderson Silva has failed a second drug test, this time on Jan. 31, the same day as his victory over Nick Diaz at UFC 183 in Las Vegas.

Silva tested positive for the steroid drostanolone -- the same banned substance he tested positive for during an out-of-competition test taken on Jan. 9. Silva also tested positive for the anti-anxiety medication Oxazepam and Temazepam, which is used to treat sleep deprivation.

In total, Silva (34-6) submitted to three NSAC tests. He tested positive for drostanolone and androstane on Jan. 9. He then provided a clean sample on Jan. 19, followed by a second failed test on Jan. 31.

Silva, who had never tested positive for a banned substance before, initially faced a nine-month suspension for his first offense. Bennett did not know whether the commission would increase that length because of a second failed test.

"I can't speak for the [NSAC] Chairman nor can I speak for the commissioners," Bennett told ESPN.com. "But something I find particularly concerning is that he tested positive on Jan. 9th and then he tested negative on Jan. 19th. If he took this orally, it only stays in your system 5-to-7 days.

"So, obviously, he used it sometime around Jan. 9th and then he used it shortly before the night of the fight. Whether the commission finds this egregious -- that he tested positive twice out of three times -- is up to them. I certainly find it concerning and unacceptable. It gives an unfair advantage to the person on that. God forbid, a serious injury were to occur to an opponent when someone is on something."

Silva, widely considered the greatest fighter of all time, has denied knowingly taking any banned substance.

"I have not taken any performance-enhancing drugs," Silva said, shortly after the initial failed test. "My stance on drugs is and will always be the same. I'm an advocate for a clean sport."

The NSAC is scheduled to temporarily suspend Silva during a meeting on Wednesday. A disciplinary hearing, which Silva would be required to attend, will most likely be scheduled in March.

Diaz (26-10) also failed his fight night drug test for marijuana metabolites. He tested negative for all other banned substances.

The NSAC will determine whether to change the result of the fight to a no-contest at a later date, most likely during Silva's disciplinary hearing.

Silva's fight night sample, collected on Jan. 31, arrived at the processing lab in Salt Lake City on Feb. 2, according to lab reports relayed by Bennett. The lab reported the results to the NSAC on Feb. 10.

Bennett said results were not immediately circulated to the media as a courtesy to the licensed athlete, Silva. According to Bennett, Silva's representatives had inquired on the possibility of testing the "B" sample of his first failed test but have so far not submitted an official request to do so.

Anyone here ever take drostanolone?

Is that an indelicate question? :rolleyes:

Vash
02-17-2015, 07:11 PM
I had a client whose doc prescribed them Dro. The official buse was for regrowth assist of ripped quad. The unofficial reasoning was to assist in bone healing.

sanjuro_ronin
02-18-2015, 10:21 AM
Anyone here ever take drostanolone?

Is that an indelicate question? :rolleyes:

Typically a steroid used to gain strength and muscle mass WITHOUT gaining weight.
Also used by pro bodybuilders during the "cutting phase" so they can lose weight without losing muscle mass.

boxerbilly
02-18-2015, 12:44 PM
Typically a steroid used to gain strength and muscle mass WITHOUT gaining weight.
Also used by pro bodybuilders during the "cutting phase" so they can lose weight without losing muscle mass.

Sounds like halotestin. I had a 90 day cycle about 20 years ago. I never took them. Never used anything.

I am not against there use. But, one has to weigh the pros and cons of it. Also, I think older guys using it for replacement value is the safest way to use them. Im glad I did not take it when I was 23 or whatever I was. Heard halo is pretty rough on the liver too. Probably would not have gone well with the copious amounts of beer I used to use then.

bawang
02-18-2015, 01:54 PM
this surprised me because silva looked like he was taking anything, i always thought he was natural.

sanjuro_ronin
02-19-2015, 07:13 AM
this surprised me because silva looked like he was taking anything, i always thought he was natural.

Its a gross misconception that steroid use = body builder muscles.

There are some tell-tale signs of course, like rounded shoulders ( the photo-shop look like some call it), overdeveloped traps ( because the shoulder and traps have a very high concentration of androgen receptors they react very well and quickly to steroids) and a "drawn and square face" BUT many times, especially with fighters trying to keep in lower weight categories, they don't do enough heavy weight training to look like they take steroids.
The reality is that natural athletes can NOT cut weight AND maintain muscle mass.
You can be shredded or bulky but you can NOT be both unless you are on the juice.

GeneChing
06-12-2015, 01:17 PM
The curious case of Jose Aldo and the discarded drug test sample (https://www.sundayworld.com/sport/other-sports/the-curious-case-of-jose-aldo-and-the-discarded-drug-test-sample)
● Other Sports
By Sunday World

http://darkroom.sundayworld.com/800/0/041804d3bde7c45ff26bc251feee223b:2d5a64547e323d45e d32c394d650ae2f/jose-aldo-will-fight-conor-mcgregor-on-july-13
Jose Aldo will fight Conor McGregor on July 13

A random drug test conducted on Conor McGregor's upcoming opponent Jose Aldo in Brazil this week has been thrown out after an admin error.

We are now four weeks away from the eve of Conor McGregor's title fight with Jose Aldo.

The hype about the fight will really start to ramp up once UFC 188 is out of the way this weekend and the coverage is going to be wall-to-wall all over the globe, but especially in Ireland and Brazil.

And now we have our first tiny hint of controversy too.

Drug testers from the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) arrived at Aldo's training camp this week to obtain a sample of urine but the collection by Ben Mosier from the Drug Free Sport lab was all for nothing and the sample has had to be chucked in the bin.

Mosier did not have the proper visa to conduct the test so he was fined and instructed to leave the country.

Aldo's manager Andre Pederneiras told MMAFighting: "We did everything they asked. Before this whole mess started, Aldo had already done the test, (his urine) was in the cup. But when the Brazilian commission arrived, they saw that the sample wasn’t collected as it should."

However the Brazilian MMA governing body, CABMMA, say they will take a sample from Aldo, with Mosier in attendance, and send it to the US for testing.

There is no suggestion that anything untoward happened here but you would expect the NAC to be a bit sharper than this, especially in a country they should be visiting regularly to test fighters.

As for McGregor's reaction, well, he's not impressed to say the least...

Conor McGregorVerified account
‏@TheNotoriousMMA

I was random tested on May 23rd. Blood AND Urine.
@josealdojunior you little weasel. You and your weasel coach. #AndNew

UFC drug testers are so sloppy...:rolleyes:

Vash
06-15-2015, 12:48 PM
I don't know . . . it just feels like, in some way, he's ducking Vitor.

GeneChing
06-17-2015, 09:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KciH871O2Cg

Skip to 2:17 to read Kingsbu's comments.

GeneChing
08-13-2015, 03:17 PM
Anderson Silva suspended one year after testing positive for banned substances (http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/ufc-anderson-silva-suspended-one-year-testing-positive-banned-substances-081315)
Damon Martin
FOX Sports
AUG 13, 2015 at 5:00p ET

http://a2.fssta.com/content/dam/fsdigital/fscom/UFC/images/2015/08/13/081315-12-UFC-Anderson-Silva-OB-PI.vadapt.955.high.0.jpg
Anderson Silva cannot fight again until Jan. 31, 2016.
Donald Miralle/Zuffa LLC

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva was suspended for one year and fined following a hearing with the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Thursday after testing positive for banned substances surrounding his Jan. 31 fight against Nick Diaz.

Silva was also fined and the result of his fight against Diaz was overturned to a no contest.

The two-hour-plus hearing saw Silva and his attorney make their defense while claiming that the fighter took a tainted sexual-enhancement drug, which then caused a positive test result.

Silva tested positive for Drostanolone and Androstane -- both classified as banned, performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs) -- following a test administered on Jan. 9. Silva also tested positive for Drostanolone again in a post-fight test on Jan. 31 as well as two more drugs -- temazepam and oxazepam -- that are used for anti-anxiety and sleeplessness.

During the hearing, Silva testified and claimed that the tainted supplement was a sexual-enhancement liquid given to him by a friend who purchased the drug in Thailand. Silva stated that the off-market drug similar to Viagara or Cialis was not available for purchase in the United States or Brazil. According to Silva, he knew Marcos Fernandes for approximately one year through training together in Brazil and during a conversation talking about "man stuff," Silva says he received the supplement.

Silva said he took the sexual-enhancement drug for about three months prior to the fight.

Silva and his defense team called upon Paul Scott, who previously worked with the UCLA laboratory and also testified in cases involving Lance Armstrong and Floyd Landis. Scott claimed that he performed tests on the fighter's supplements and that's where he found the tainted substance that he believes caused the positive result.

Unfortunately, Scott didn't bring any documentation with him to the hearing to provide proof of the testing or the results to show the commission.

"I'm human and I make mistakes and I made a mistake," Silva said during the hearing.

The commission grilled Silva and his defense about the dates he claims to have taken the drug. Meanwhile, Dr. Daniel Eichner from the Sports Medicine Research and Testing Laboratory testified that any use of Drostonalone would only show up in a result if taken with about a week of the testing.

Silva also claimed during the testimony that prior to his bout at UFC 183 he had never been subject to enhanced drug testing. Previously, Silva said he was only tested on fight nights.

As the commission began deliberating, Silva was accused of showing no remorse for the positive test or offering an admission of guilt for using banned substances.

"Given the testimony we heard today it's quite evident there are some major inconsistencies in what I've heard and the testimony I've heard. For that reason, I would actually proceed with going on the higher end for a penalty," Nevada State Athletic Commission chairman Francisco Aguilar said about Silva.

"I think there's been very similar instances where we've had these types of situations, and when the fighter does come forward and is consistent in his testimony and takes some responsibility and shows some remorse -- but I don't think that exists today."

The one-year suspension is retroactive to the date of Silva's fight -- Jan. 31 -- which means he will be eligible to return on Jan. 31, 2016.

The commission also fined Silva his $200,000 win bonus as well as 30 percent of his fight purse of $600,000, which equals out to another $180,000. The win against Diaz was also overturned to a no contest.

Silva will also have to provide a clean drug test before being re-licensed in the state of Nevada.

I see now. When Silva said "I have not taken any performance-enhancing drugs," he thought the only performance was in the cage, not in bed. :eek:

sanjuro_ronin
08-14-2015, 04:42 AM
Some "sexual enhancement" drugs act as Testosterone boosters while others actually help "mask" T-levels for drug tests.

bawang
08-16-2015, 10:52 AM
normal physically strong fighting man with muscle dont lose boner except from steroids

looks like hes telling white lie, he was masking his drug protocol just fine, the drugs caused impotence, he bought tainted viagra

then again he could be just straight up bullsh1tting, like overeem with his horse meat and chinese supersoldier program

David Jamieson
08-17-2015, 10:28 AM
I think roids have been an issue for UFC for a while.
They're gonna have to go. Which will be nice because it makes the fighters more even across the board when they aren't cheating.

GeneChing
09-15-2015, 01:20 PM
There's vid if you follow the link.

Nick Diaz suspended 5 years by Nevada commission for marijuana (http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/13657932/nevada-bans-ufc-nick-diaz-5-years-marijuana)

LAS VEGAS -- The Nevada State Athletic Commission suspended UFC welterweight Nick Diaz for five years on Monday because of the third marijuana-related offense of his career.

The NSAC discussed a lifetime ban for Diaz, 32, before voting unanimously on five years.

NSAC commissioner Skip Avansino acknowledged during deliberations a five-year ban is essentially "a lifetime (ban) for (Diaz)."

Diaz (26-9) appeared before the commission in person but declined to answer any of its questions. Commissioner Pat Lundvall forced Diaz to verbally plead the fifth throughout a long series of approximately 30 questions.

Immediately after the hearing, Diaz spoke to the media.

http://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F0914%2Fgettyimages%2D46260 5378_r8859_1296x729_16%2D9.jpg&w=570
Nick Diaz tested positive for marijuana metabolites following a unanimous decision loss to Anderson Silva at UFC 183 on Jan. 31. Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC/Getty Images

"I'm pretty ****ed," said Diaz after the hearing. "I got into this sport for this exact reason, being stuck in a room with people like that.

"I wanted to tell them what I think. I wanted to tell each and every one of them they're a bunch of ****s. Everybody who sees them or knows who they are should tell them that. I would if it weren't for my experts advising me to keep my mouth shut. I wanted to get up and say, 'Look. You guys are way the f--- out of line.' "

Lucas Middlebrook, Diaz's lead attorney, said he will appeal the five-year suspension. Additionally, the NSAC fined Diaz $165,000.

"I think it was a completely arbitrary and capricious decision," Middlebrook said. "You heard my opening statement. Based on the facts, if they were to make such a decision, it would be ripe for judicial review. This was a kangaroo court, and you heard the commission: Their decision wasn't based on fact. It wasn't based on evidence.

"One commissioner said, 'Your attorneys were very persuasive, but you don't respect us. So here's a five-year ban.' "

Diaz, who fights out of Stockton, California, tested positive for marijuana metabolites following a decision loss to Anderson Silva at UFC 183 on Jan. 31. The circumstances of the failed test were unique in that Diaz passed two drug tests on fight night but failed a third.

The failed test was collected and analyzed under different methods than the other two. The two clean tests, administered prefight and postfight, were analyzed by the Sports Medicine Research and Testing Laboratory (SMRTL) -- which is accredited by the World Anti-Doping Agency -- in Salt Lake City.

The failed test, which was administered between the two clean ones, was analyzed by Quest Diagnostics.

Diaz's attorneys argued that the Quest results were "scientifically unreliable," unlike the SMRTL results, which were obtained using WADA's higher standard of protocols.

A medical expert for Diaz, Dr. H. Khella, stated several irregularities in the failed test.

A box titled "observed" was left unmarked by the collector, which means Diaz might have provided the sample unsupervised. He also pointed out Diaz's name appeared on the sample. Labs are not supposed to be able to identify whom samples belong to.

Furthermore, Middlebrook argued the failed test was such an outlier when compared with the other two that it had to be unreliable. According to the Quest test, Diaz registered a marijuana metabolites level nearly five times the allowable limit. In the SMRTL tests, however, his levels were well below that allowable threshold.

The NSAC acknowledged the differing methods of obtaining Diaz's results but maintained it was confident in Quest's findings. NSAC chairman Francisco Aguilar stated, "We do have a positive test, through a method we've used over time."

The commission also took issue with Diaz's prefight questionnaire, on which he was expected to reveal any substances he took before the fight. Copies of Diaz's questionnaire show he did not indicate any marijuana use before the bout.

The five-year suspension is the second-longest ever handed down by the NSAC. In September 2014, it served UFC middleweight Wanderlei Silva with a lifetime ban. A Nevada district judge reversed that ruling in May, citing a lack of substantial evidence.

Diaz, an admitted medical-marijuana user in California, has now been suspended three separate times by the NSAC. The commission suspended him for six months in 2007 after he tested positive for THC. He was suspended for one year in 2012 after testing positive for marijuana metabolites after a loss to Carlos Condit.

"This is not just a marijuana issue," Aguilar said. "This is an issue of marijuana, a lack of being forthright, a lack of cooperation to make the sport better, a disregard for rules -- it hurts other athletes just as much.

"I don't have an ego on this commission. Maybe some think I do, but I don't. We have to do our job as regulators. This is not solely a case of marijuana."

Last month, the result of the Jan. 31 fight between Diaz and Silva was changed to a no-contest, as part of a disciplinary hearing for Silva. Silva was suspended for one year and fined $380,000 for failing multiple tests for anabolic steroids.

"That's ridiculous," Diaz said. "I never did steroids in my life. I know all the fighters, they are all on steroids. All you m-----f------ are on steroids. I already know that. Everybody knows that. I'm the only person in this sport, for the most part, that ain't on steroids. Now there's new rules in effect, yeah, you've got guys not on steroids now, but they used to be. They've always been on steroids. I don't do steroids. I don't break the rules."

GeneChing
09-15-2015, 05:54 PM
we petition the obama administration to:
Lift the NSAC ban from MMA fighter Nick Diaz (https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/lift-nsac-ban-mma-fighter-nick-diaz).

Nick Diaz was unfairly banned from being a professional fighter by the Nevada Athletics Commission. They ruled based on their personal feelings and beliefs towards the use of medical Marijuana and used their power to deprive Mr.Diaz of being able to make a living.
Published Date: Sep 14, 2015
Issues: Civil Rights and Liberties
Learn about Petition Thresholds
Signatures needed by October 14, 2015 to reach goal of 100,000
Total signatures on this petition

Forgive my naivete, but does this happen often in sports? :confused:

boxerbilly
09-16-2015, 02:24 AM
I can not recall if it was on this site's forum or another site. I mentioned guys smoking pot before bouts, all us did it after, LOL. But some guys got high on weed before they fought. I experienced the same in the traditional arts too. Lots of drugs. This was a while back. -

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/8999557/julio-cesar-chavez-jr-suspended-nine-months-fined-900000-nevada-state-athletic-commission-failed-drug-test

I think Eddie Bravo was stoned all the time, LOL.

boxerbilly
09-16-2015, 02:43 AM
Lets face it. On the pro circuit. If you are not using drugs for help. You probably are not winning. If you are new you may not be using at first but you soon will. Most amateur sports have loads of drug problems too.

Bas Rutten is against them. Yet he once said he had about 2 time level of natural testosterone for a man his age. That's like 1500 maybe more. Possible ? Could he have had some tumor firing his test up super high? Just strong caveman nuts? Regardless he was over the high end of average for a 16 year old male. Most guys hit the peak by then and stay there for 2-3 years and then it goes down. He was like 30-35 when he stated that. Was he joking ? Was he juicing ? I think maybe but man if there was one guy I would hope did not have to it was him.

Guy can barely walk now I read. Was talking about stem cells for his knees. His hips are shot to I think. His arms are so thin. Nerve damage.
http://www.mmaweekly.com/bas-rutten-undergoes-successful-neck-surgery-but-still-dealing-with-health-issues

Steroids were legal in Japan and may still be. Bas lived and fought in Japan. They only test Oly athletes. https://www.reddit.com/r/steroids/comments/25069n/interesting_info_on_anabolic_steroid_legality_in/

Again, I would hope not.

sanjuro_ronin
09-16-2015, 06:58 AM
Forgive my naivete, but does this happen often in sports? :confused:

It's kind of simple:
You take a illegal drug and you get fined and suspended.
You continue to take it and you get banned.
Doesn't matter what the drug is, if it is illegal to take, don't take it.

GeneChing
09-16-2015, 08:40 AM
Remember I competed NCAA, although that was in the 80s when PEDs were just starting to have an impact on college sports. I never got tested but I totally understand playing by the rules. My question was more about the government petition to overturn the NSAC decision. Does that happen a lot? I've not heard of it. My guess is that it is political because marijuana is such a political issue now. Diaz's suspension does seem excessive considering that many athletes that have been popped for PEDs have had much shorter suspensions.

Ronda Rousey presser: X-rated gaffe, passionate weed defense (http://nypost.com/2015/09/16/ronda-rousey-presser-x-rated-gaffe-passionate-weed-defense/)
By News.com.auSeptember 16, 2015 | 12:03pm

Rousey also used the press conference to launch a strong defense of fighter Nick Diaz, who was smacked with a five-year ban by the Nevada State Athletic Commission after using marijuana.
“I think they should free Nick Diaz,” she said.
“It’s not Dana’s decision. I think it’s an invasion of privacy for them to test for marijuana and they have no right. They shouldn’t even test for weed. It’s not fair. It’s not a performance-enhancing drug … it’s only tested for political reasons.” That's just an excerpt. Ronda also talks about if she came in Holm's face right away....:eek:

sanjuro_ronin
09-16-2015, 09:34 AM
Remember I competed NCAA, although that was in the 80s when PEDs were just starting to have an impact on college sports. I never got tested but I totally understand playing by the rules. My question was more about the government petition to overturn the NSAC decision. Does that happen a lot? I've not heard of it. My guess is that it is political because marijuana is such a political issue now. Diaz's suspension does seem excessive considering that many athletes that have been popped for PEDs have had much shorter suspensions.

That's just an excerpt. Ronda also talks about if she came in Holm's face right away....:eek:

Doesn't matter what MJ is or not, all that matters is that it is illegal and doing an illegal drug gets you suspended.
If they don't like it then they( the fighters) should petition the UFC to change the rules, period.
I always get a laugh when I hear someone say of a drug , " It's not performance enhancing..." or " It makes no difference to performance".
Great, why do it then?
Why do something that you KNOW is illegal and can get you suspended if there is NO benefit to it ??

GeneChing
09-17-2015, 10:15 AM
The issue isn't whether or not the crime should be punished. It's about the magnitude of the punishment. For justice to be exacted, the scales must be equal.

NSAC sends wrong message on Diaz (http://espn.go.com/blog/mma/post/_/id/22498/nsac-sends-wrong-message-with-diaz-ruling)
Brett Okamoto, ESPN Staff Writer

LAS VEGAS -- The Nevada State Athletic Commission sent a very troubling message to its athletes -- and its own employees -- on Monday.

Apparently, it is acceptable to incorporate personal feelings into the regulation of combat sports.

In my opinion, there is little doubt the NSAC's decision on Monday to suspend Nick Diaz for five years was a personal one. The ruling did not align with actions taken previously by the NSAC and it actually went against a proposed set of suspension lengths the commission itself introduced this year.

If there is one thing the NSAC dislikes more than a guilty athlete, it's a guilty athlete who shows no remorse. And in three separate NSAC disciplinary hearings for marijuana-related offenses, Diaz has shown no remorse.

He has now been suspended by the Nevada commission in 2007, 2012 and 2015. He has been chastised for essentially hiding his marijuana use from the NSAC, but still continues to leave its precious prefight questionnaire blank. And then (gasp), he refuses to apologize for doing so afterward.

During a 2012 hearing, commissioner Pat Lundvall reminded Diaz he had "promised" the commission in 2007 that he would stop smoking marijuana. Lundvall asked Diaz how quickly he had resumed smoking after making that promise.

"I imagine when I got home," Diaz deadpanned.

It was commissioner Lundvall who then refused to allow Diaz to offer a blanket statement during his hearing on Monday. Rather than allow Diaz to universally plead the fifth, Lundvall forced him to repeatedly state the words "fifth amendment," as she asked approximately 30 questions that included whether or not he speaks English.

Diaz's lawyer, Lucas Middlebrook, grew so irritated during this process, he accused Lundvall of a "misinterpretation" of her legal right to publicly embarrass Diaz during his testimony. Lundvall overruled Middlebrook and continued.

Later in the hearing, it was Lundvall again who made a motion to ban the 32-year-old Diaz for life, a move that would effectively end his career.

Ultimately, two commissioners were uncomfortable with a lifetime ban, so a five-year suspension was agreed upon. This potentially life-altering change for Diaz -- a difference between not being able to fight for five years and the rest of his natural-born life -- took the commission about two minutes to discuss.

Near the end of deliberations, NSAC chairman Francisco Aguilar made it a point to say Diaz's case was about "more than marijuana," but that's where he was wrong. This case shouldn't be about more than marijuana. It shouldn't be about making a statement to future athletes or finally putting a rebellious Diaz in his place. It shouldn't be about treating politically correct athletes better than ones who show a disdain for the commission and the job it performs.

Disciplinary hearings are about administering justice -- with due process. It doesn't matter that Diaz referred to each and every commission member as a **** and said the words "fifth amendment" in a way that suggested he was thinking of a different, less professional two-word response. None of that makes him more or less guilty of a violation.

Diaz deserved to be penalized for leaving his prefight questionnaire empty. He routinely tries to operate outside of the administrative rules. But the NSAC seemingly allowed its personal feelings toward Diaz to influence its punishment of him -- and that is unacceptable.

Should an NSAC-licensed referee treat combatants differently, based on personal feelings toward each of them? Should a judge award a close round of a fight to the more respectful athlete in the cage?

Many joke about the NSAC and its tendency to be lenient on athletes who show up to disciplinary hearings and play the game. Answer the commission's questions respectfully, speak well of its members and smile while doing so -- this is widely considered the best defense strategy.

Rarely, though, has an example of opposite behavior produced such an egregious result. The NSAC has taken admirable steps in its regulation of combat sports in recent years, but Monday's disciplinary hearing -- and the message it sent -- was the wrong one.

Vash
09-22-2015, 06:42 AM
x2 - I'm going to play the hyperbole game and guess that, if Jon Jones showed up from prison one day, and said 'respectfully' a few times, he'd be back in their good graces, possibly sending a letter to Dana asking that J 'B' J be granted a title shot.

They are an administrative board, not a group of old people teaching young children to ask before walking across their green lawns.

The issue isn't whether or not the crime should be punished. It's about the magnitude of the punishment. For justice to be exacted, the scales must be equal.

sanjuro_ronin
09-22-2015, 09:42 AM

Here is the thing, go into any court and act like a **** and you will get a judge that takes it personally and throws the book at you.
Why?
Because you are NOT mocking him or her, but what they stand for, The Law.
Now, Lundvall may have taken it TOO personally BUT if I was a judge and Diaz acted that way and with his history, I probably would have thrown the book at his egocentric ass as well.
Of course, if this was steroids or cocaine this probably wouldn't even have made the news but because it was MJ and "no big deal" to some, it did.

GeneChing
10-14-2015, 10:07 AM
I feel ya, s_r. The MMJ industry is way out of control and sorely needs regulation. That political battle has made this a hot button topic, which is why I'm following the story. I do enjoy it when martial arts actually become topical to issues that concern the general public. It's much more interesting to me than arguing about who has the most authentic Wing Chun lineage.

Nick Diaz White House petition hits goal of 100,000 signatures ... now what? (http://www.mmamania.com/2015/10/14/9530209/ufc-nick-diaz-white-house-petition-hits-goal-of-100000-signatures-now-what-mma)
By Jesse Holland  @Jesse_Holland on Oct 14, 2015, 11:03a 38

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/vn-Mnu4M-G_4RYfqQQvC12DzzoE=/0x266:2480x1919/709x473/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/47419608/usa-today-8358692.0.jpg
Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight Nick Diaz was suspended from mixed martial arts (MMA) for a whopping five years after Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) made an example of him for a drug test that was not without its share of problems.

The combat sports community, for the most part, was outraged.

In response, one dedicated fan created a White House petition online to present the controversial Diaz case to the country's highest office. Today (Weds., Oct. 14, 2015), said petition cleared the 100,000 signatures required to initiate review.

So what happens next? The White House has 60 days to respond, however...

To avoid the appearance of improper influence, the White House may decline to address certain procurement, law enforcement, adjudicatory, or similar matters properly within the jurisdiction of federal departments or agencies, federal courts, or state and local government in its response to a petition. Where possible, we will notify signers of petitions whose content falls into these areas, in instances in which we don't feel we will be able to respond meaningfully.

To see how the White House reviews online petitions click here.

Diaz and his legal team are expected to appeal the results of his disciplinary hearing but until then, the former UFC welterweight No. 1 contender is unable to compete in MMA or boxing. In the meantime, he's getting some support from an old friend.

sanjuro_ronin
10-15-2015, 09:27 AM
Nothing else for the white house to do I guess.
No greater issues than this.
:mad:

GeneChing
10-16-2015, 09:26 AM
A democracy assumes that the majority is right. But what if the majority is just stupid? That's the real question we seem to be facing with our next election. Get 100,000 signatures and our democratic government must heed the people...including celebs.

Nick Diaz petition reaches goal thanks to tons of celebrity support (http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/ufc-nick-diaz-white-house-petition-reaches-goal-celebrity-support-jeremy-piven-101515)
UFC welterweight Nick Diaz will receive an official response from the White House after a petition reached 100,000 this week after the embattled fighter was suspended for five years after allegedly testing positive for marijuana following his bout at UFC 183 in January.

http://a2.fssta.com/content/dam/fsdigital/fscom/UFC/images/2015/10/15/101515-ufc-Nick-Diaz-pi-mp.vadapt.955.high.44.jpg
Nick Diaz found a lot of people sympathetic to his suspension handed down in Nevada.
Jed Jacobsohn/Zuffa LLC
By Damon Martin
Oct 15, 2015 at 5:27p ET

UFC welterweight Nick Diaz will receive an official response from the White House after a petition reached 100,000 signatures this week after the embattled fighter was suspended for five years for allegedly testing positive for marijuana following his bout at UFC 183 in January.

The petition received over 113,000 signatures as of Thursday with a great amount of support from the mixed martial arts community as well as a massive celebrity contingency.

Diaz did not start the petition personally, but supported the initiative as people from around the world flocked to the fighter's side after the Nevada State Athletic Commission banned him from fighting for five years following his third such infraction in the state.

It's unlikely Diaz expected the outpouring of support that he received from celebrities such as Jeremy Piven, Cher, Tommy Chong, Wiz Khalifa and many others who took to Twitter and other social-media outlets to encourage people to sign the petition (Caution: Strong language).

Note that the comments from celebs can be found by following the link above. I didn't bother to cut&paste them all here. :rolleyes:

GeneChing
11-02-2015, 03:44 PM
More on the Culinary Union (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?61762-Unionizing-Pro-MMA-Fighters)

Oct 30, 2015
Teamsters and Culinary Union call on Nevada to Reform Athletic Commission (http://www.culinaryunion226.org/news/press/teamsters-and-culinary-union-call-on-nevada-to-reform-athletic-commission)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

October 30, 2015

MEDIA CONTACT:

Bethany Khan: bkhan@culinaryunion226.org ▪ (702) 387-7088

Teamsters and Culinary Union call on Nevada to Reform Athletic Commission

Las Vegas, NV – Yesterday, a rally calling for reform of the Nevada State Athletic Commission was held outside the Grant Sawyer State Office Building at the same time NSAC held its regular monthly meeting. The protest was organized by Teamsters Local 986 and the Culinary Union.

The rally follows the delivery of a letter to Governor Brian Sandoval from the two unions last month. The letter outlined the problems with the unfair treatment of MMA fighter Nick Diaz in a recent decision by NSAC. Mr. Diaz was given a five-year ban and fined $165,000 for allegedly testing positive for marijuana at a lab not accredited by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA). NSAC ignored two other negative drug tests that were sampled the same day and tested WADA-accredited labs. The unions have asked the governor to mitigate the unfair decision against Mr. Diaz, review NSAC policies and procedures, and appoint a commissioner with medical expertise. (See the letter here.)

“The Commission’s unfair decision against Mr. Diaz demonstrates an arbitrary selection of facts, is inconsistent with the Commission’s own policy, and endangers the reputation of the sport of MMA and the tourism industry in Nevada,” said Chris Griswold, Secretary-Treasurer of Teamsters Local 986, in the letter.

The NSAC ban of Mr. Diaz was met with outrage by the MMA community and general public. A White House petition asking the Obama administration to lift the ban was started the day of the ruling against Mr. Diaz. Within 30 days, the petition received over 100,000 signatures. A number of fighters have even called for a boycott of Nevada and are refusing to fight in the state, which is commonly referred to by promoters as the “fight capital of the world.”

Tuesday, Mr. Diaz tweeted out news that legal talks with the Commission were going well, hinting at a potential settlement. NSAC Chairman Francisco Aguilar confirmed the talks and reminded the general public that “the Nick Diaz disciplinary matter will not be on the agenda at the regularly scheduled meeting of the NSAC on Thursday in Las Vegas.”

At the rally, participants held picket signs and chanted: “No justice, no peace!” Attendees then packed the NSAC hearing, gave public comments, and submitted a letter from State Senator Tick Segerblom to Chairman Aguilar.

“Our unions protect the interests of our members,” said Geoconda Arguello-Kline, the Secretary-Treasurer of the Culinary Union. “We take notice when we see a government agency making unfair decisions against workers that jeopardize the tourism industry in Las Vegas.”

###

Culinary Workers Union Local 226 and Bartenders Union Local 165, Nevada affiliates of UNITE HERE, represent over 55,000 workers in Las Vegas and Reno, including at most of casino resorts on the Las Vegas Strip and in Downtown Las Vegas. UNITE HERE represents 270,000 workers in gaming, hotel, and food service industries in North America.

www.CulinaryUnion226.org / @Culinary226

GeneChing
01-12-2016, 05:26 PM
That seems more reasonable.

Nick Diaz suspension reduced from five years to 18 months, eligible to fight in August (http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/nick-diaz-suspension-reduced-from-five-years-to-18-months-eligible-to-fight-in-august-011216?cmpid=tsmtw:fscom:ufconfox)
Nick Diaz had his suspension dramatically reduced from five years to 18 months in a settlement agreement that was approved by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

http://a1.fssta.com/content/dam/fsdigital/fscom/UFC/images/2016/01/12/011216-UFC-183-Nick-Diaz-PI-CH.vadapt.955.high.6.jpg
Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC

By Damon Martin @DamonMartin
Jan 12, 2016 at 12:54p ET

Nick Diaz didn't actually appear before the Nevada Athletic Commission on Tuesday but the governing body quickly approved his settlement hearing that will reduce his suspension from five years to 18 months after allegedly testing positive for marijuana stemming from his last fight at UFC 183 in January 2015.

The commission brought up Diaz's settlement agreement and quickly gave a unanimous vote to the order, but didn't actually reveal the details or admit wrongdoing in the matter.

Diaz's settlement will see the fighter suspended 18 months, which will make him eligible to return to action as early as August 1, 2016.

Diaz also had his fine reduced from $165,000 down to $100,000 as part of the settlement agreement.

Diaz was originally suspended for five years at a commission meeting in September 2015 after allegedly testing positive for marijuana for the third time in the state of Nevada. The public outcry in support of Diaz went as far as an online petition that received a response from the White House after 100,000 signatures were collected.

The commission declined to comment on the matter and with neither Diaz nor his attorneys present at the hearing, the entire order and vote took a matter of seconds before moving onto new business.

'We cannot comment now because it is still an ongoing matter," Nevada commission officials told FOX Sports' Heidi Fang, who was in attendance at the proceedings.

Considering the ruling on Tuesday, Diaz could likely book a fight with the UFC for an upcoming event in August once those cards are scheduled by the promotion.

GeneChing
03-11-2016, 04:53 PM
Aw bummer. Wonder what drug it was. Levitra?

Report: Ken Shamrock, Kimbo Slice both fail drug tests for Bellator 149 (http://www.cbssports.com/general/eye-on-sports/25513551/report-ken-shamrock-kimbo-slice-both-fail-drug-tests-for-bellator-149)
By Brandon Wise | Staff Writer
March 11, 2016 5:17 pm ET

http://www.cbssports.com/images/blogs/kimbooono640.jpg
Kimbo Slice failed his drug test at Bellator 149. (USATSI)

A rough show for Bellator 149 just got reportedly worse as both Kimbo Slice and Ken Shamrock failed drug tests before the event on Feb. 19 in Texas, according to MMAFighting.com. The exact drug that was found in both Kimbo and Shamrock was withheld by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, pending potential litigation according to the report.

Athletes who fail drug tests as part of the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation are subject to 90-day suspension and a $5,000 fine. Kimbo defeated rival Dada 5000 by 3rd-round TKO has reportedly been turned over to a No Contest. It was just Kimbo's second MMA fight since 2010 -- he beat Shamrock at Bellator 138 in the first round.

This was the second failed drug test for Shamrock in the last seven years. It is unclear whether or not either fighter will compete in Bellator again. Shamrock was hoping for a third bout with Royce Gracie after his loss at the event, but Bellator CEO Scott Coker would not commit to another fight, saying both fighters signed one-fight contracts.

Vash
03-11-2016, 05:01 PM
The only failure was in them not taking enough.

bawang
03-11-2016, 07:03 PM
at this point, if u get paid millions to fight, i dont wanna see a normal fight, i wanna see superhumans and mutant freaks. if i want normal fight i can watch backyard hillbilly brawls or cricket fighting.

GeneChing
08-12-2016, 09:15 AM
Bad meat...

UFC’s Ning Guangyou fails drug test for clenbuterol, USADA finds no fault (http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/8/9/12416676/ufc-s-ning-guangyou-fails-drug-test-for-clenbuterol-usada-finds-no)
By Marc Raimondi  @marc_raimondi on Aug 9, 2016, 5:30p 37

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/9K31JLCgi-cNLldn8NqE2V2jE9Q=/0x0:900x600/709x473/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/50331933/Ning_Guangyou_vs_Yang_Jianping_6_gallery_post.1408 920208.0.jpg
Anton Tabuena

A UFC fighter has failed a drug test, but will not be suspended.

Ning Guangyou of China tested positive for clenbuterol from an out-of-competition sample taken May 19, but USADA found he ingested the substance without fault or negligence, it was announced Tuesday in a release.

Countries like Mexico and China have a high risk for meats contaminated with the substance. WADA issued a warning about the issue in 2011.

"Consistent with numerous prior reported cases globally, the issue of illicit administration of clenbuterol to animals destined for food production can result in, under specific conditions, a positive sample from an athlete," the USADA release stated.

Guangyou, 34, tested positive for only trace amounts of clenbuterol. USADA said it reviewed the evidence of the case — Guangyou's whereabouts, dietary habits and the lab reports showing "very low parts per billion concentrations" of the substance — and determined that it very likely came from tainted meat. Guangyou will not face a suspension.

"While the risk of consuming clenbuterol-tainted meat and testing positive for an athlete is extremely small, consistent with past athlete advisories, USADA reminds athletes to use the utmost care if eating meat in known high risk countries, including Mexico and China," the USADA release stated. "In line with WADA recommendations, USADA will continue to assess the presence of clenbuterol in an athlete's sample on a case by case basis, taking into account all the evidence supporting the likelihood of such contamination."

Guangyou's bout with Marlon Vera has been moved from UFC 202 to one week later at UFC on FOX 21 on Aug. 27 in Vancouver, the UFC announced Tuesday.

The UFC statement reads:

In late July, UFC was made aware of USADA's investigation into the source of the prohibited substance clenbuterol in an out of competition sample collected from Ning Guangyou. Given it was initially unclear as to the timing of the resolution of the investigation, UFC made the decision to move Guangyou's scheduled bout against Marlon Vera on August 20, 2016 at UFC 202 to UFC Fight Night: Maia vs. Condit in Vancouver, BC on August 27, 2016.

A similar issue with clenbuterol occurred earlier this year before a boxing match between Francisco Vargas and Orlando Salido. Vargas, a Mexico native, popped for clenbuterol two months before the fight, but the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) and the Voluntary Anti-Doping Agency (VADA) allowed the fight to go on after Vargas had passed every other out-of-competition test leading up to the June 4 date. The situation was discussed at length last week at the Association of Boxing Commissions and Combative Sports (ABC) annual conference last week in Las Vegas.

Guangyou (5-3-1) has not fought since a split decision loss to Marco Beltran last November. He won his first two fights in the UFC before that, including the TUF China championship over Jianping Yang in 2014. He has never fought outside of Asia.

Clenbuterol is clinically used by asthma patients, though it's stimulant and slight anabolic qualities have put it on WADA's banned list as a performance-enhancing drug.

GeneChing
08-23-2016, 10:42 AM
The YouTube vid embedding in this article clocks in at 4:20. :D

Nate Diaz could get suspended for cannabidiol vaping at post-McGregor presser (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/08/22/nate-diaz-could-get-suspended-for-cannabidiol-vaping-at-post-mcgregor-presser/)
By Des Bieler August 22 at 11:33 PM

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_960w/2010-2019/Wires/Images/2016-08-21/Getty/592620850.jpg&w=1484
Conor McGregor, left, and Nate Diaz inflicted plenty of damage on each other at UFC 202. (Steve Marcus/Getty Images)

Nate Diaz didn’t win his epic rematch with Conor McGregor at UFC 202, but he did gain the respect of his opponent, as well as a likely third date and a lucrative payday for Saturday’s effort. However, it may be some time before we see Diaz fight again — and if so, he would have no one but himself to blame, after consuming a cannabis compound at the post-fight press conference.

[McGregor’s brilliant mind has him atop UFC again. What’s next is his call.]

The smell of marijuana was unmistakable to reporters, as was the sight of Diaz puffing on a vape pen. He explained that it contained Cannabidiol (CBD) oil, one of 113 active cannabinoids in cannabis, and one considered by many to have therapeutic medial effects.

“It helps with the healing process and inflammation, stuff like that,” Diaz told the media. “So you want to get these for before and after the fights, training. It’ll make your life a better place.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9stpwl4z1k

CBD does not have psychoactive effects, unlike its better known fellow cannabinoid, THC. In any event, Diaz apparently felt he was in the clear, having already given his mandatory urine sample after the fight. Marijuana use is not allowed by the UFC during the “in-competition” period, six hours before and after a match.

The company can suspend fighters for up to a year for marijuana use, and according to MMA Fighting, it could consider Diaz’s admission, made within six hours of his UFC 202 bout, tantamount to a failed test. In addition, given that the event took place in Las Vegas, the Nevada State Athletic Commission could exert its jurisdiction and levy a punishment.

A spokesman for USADA, which helps the UFC administer its drug-testing program, told MMA Fighting, “I can confirm that USADA is aware of the situation and is currently gathering information in order to determine the next appropriate steps.” Meanwhile, Diaz’s brother Nick, an accomplished MMA fighter in his own right, was not able to be in his corner Saturday because he is already under a marijuana-related suspension from the NSAC.

Nick Diaz had been given a five-year ban in September 2015 for multiple positive tests for pot. After widespread outcry, that was reduced to 18 months, plus a $100,000 fine that reportedly has not been fully paid, in January.

A few days before the fight, Nate Diaz posted what was essentially an advertisement for TRU Vape Oil pens on his Instagram account. He identified that as the product he was using at the press conference.

natediaz209 (https://www.instagram.com/p/BJNP6dIBlAw/) Verified 6 days ago

shout out to all the homies in the #NFL, the #Olympians in #Rio and all contact sports that are finding healthier ways to deal with their head trauma and wear and tear on their bodies by attacking thier injuries with CBD oil. Shout out to TRU for making it happen. #RioOlympics #truvapeoil #TRU truvapeoil.com @truoil

McGregor also emerged from the fight in possible need of some medical assistance and looking at a potentially lengthy absence from the Octagon. After delivering a steady series of kicks to Diaz’s right leg, which was the lefty’s forward-placed plant foot, McGregor was deemed to have a possible fracture of his left foot or ankle.

McGregor will not fight again until at least Oct. 20, and if he is not cleared by an orthopedist, he could receive a six-month medical suspension, keeping the Irishman out of action until Feb. 17. So we may see neither fighter compete until next year — or they could square off again later this year, possibly at UFC 205, the company’s highly anticipated debut event at Madison Square Garden.

Or one of them could take on a different opponent next, with UFC president Dana White insistent that McGregor needs to defend his featherweight crown or be stripped of it. The possibility of a McGregor-Floyd Mayweather mega-fight also has not entirely disappeared. In other words, stay tuned, folks.

Vash
08-23-2016, 05:09 PM
Oi, the boys in suits are just mad they were bullied, are taking any possible shots.

GeneChing
08-31-2016, 08:42 AM
Well played, Diaz. Turned a loss into a win.

Nate Diaz Parties & Sparks Massive Blunt With Snoop (http://herb.co/2016/08/30/nate-diaz-snoop-dogg/)
Lane Tr 30 August, 2016
Culture

http://herb.co/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/1-3.jpg
Photo credit

Here we are, two weeks after the epic grudge match between MMA fighters Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz. McGregor put a technical hurting on Diaz, and walked out of the ring victorious, but it is Diaz that has remained in headlines since. Diaz’ time in the limelight is the result of his latest showdown: Nate Diaz vs United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA), in the buds bout of the century.

Round 1: Fight!

http://herb.co/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/3-3.jpg
Photo credit

If you’ve been following my stories, or just breathing fresh air, you probably caught wind of the controversy surrounding Nate Diaz’ post-UFC 202 interviews. During his post fight pressers, Diaz pulled from a nifty little vaporizer. You would think people would be interested in his feelings about the fight, but the drama-seeking media chose to focus on the vape.

You would think people would be interested in his feelings about the fight, but the drama-seeking media chose to focus on the vape.

When asked by a reporter to explain what exactly he was smoking, Diaz replied,

It’s CBD. It helps with the healing process and inflammation, stuff like that. So you want to get these for before and after the fights, training (sic). It’ll make your life a better place.

Savvy cannabis users will know that CBD is non-psychoactive, non-addictive and non-toxic. It is great for pain management, inflammation and cognitive functioning – qualities that any athlete values.

Diaz is clearly tuned into the healing powers of the cannabinoid CBD, but USADA considers it a “specified substance”. Specified substances are not anabolic or hormonal agents, but they are still prohibited in certain cases, like during competition.

USADA and the UFC consider competition to be 6 hours before a fight, during a fight, and 6 hours after a fight.

Though Diaz’ use of CBD, in this case, was designed to help recovery, he used it immediately after the fight. He broke the 6-hour rule, and subsequently lost round 1 against USADA, for point deductions.

Round 2: Blunts over bashings

http://herb.co/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/2-3.jpg
Photo credit

USADA spokesman Ryan Madden recently discussed Diaz’ alleged violation of their regulations,

I can confirm that USADA is aware of the situation and is currently gathering information in order to determine the next appropriate steps.

While USADA is busy trying to bust Diaz for using CBD, Diaz is busy partying with rapper Snoop Dogg. Facing a potential 1-year suspension from the UFC for his vaping episode, Diaz showed up at a Snoop Dogg concert near San Francisco to blow off some steam.

Diaz regularly throws up his middle finger in the ring during his fights to express his dominance. While at the Snoop concert, he threw up a metaphorical middle finger to USADA by snapping a photo of himself with what can only be described as a massive blunt.

Though his blunt toting behavior at the Snoop show might get him into more hot water with USADA, I’m giving round 2 to Diaz. His brazen disregard for what USADA thinks about his relationship with cannabis pushed him over the top in this round.

Round 3: A new champ is crowned

natediaz209 (https://www.instagram.com/p/BJsGCAwBqca/)
Follow
#Repost @diazbrothers209 ・・・
@natediaz209 @snoopdogg @nickdiaz209 #california #represent #calistyle #100
53.1k likes
2d
natediaz209#Repost @diazbrothers209 ・・・
@natediaz209 @snoopdogg @nickdiaz209 #california #represent #calistyle #100

Nate and his brother Nick were given the red carpet treatment at the Snoop show. Their all access passes put them side by side with the king of chronic. Thanks to Snapchat and Instagram, their backstage moments will forever live on the internet.

Though Diaz’ antics during the show are inevitably going to cost him in the short term, I suspect he will be thrust towards a new level of superstardom in the long term. Anytime you pair Snoop Dogg, weed, and another recognizable face, you get excitement.

This case is no exception. Whether Diaz is suspended by USADA for his vaping or not, he will inevitably come out on top financially. Be on the look out for Diaz to begin repping a cannabis company. Who knows, he might come out with his own weed products!

Your winner and new UFC cannabis champion by TKO in the 3rd round is… Nate Diaz!

GeneChing
10-06-2016, 12:30 PM
Most MMA news outlets are going with the B.J. Penn withdrawal for the reason behind the cancellation.

Philippines Government Was To Drug Test ALL UFC Employees, Prompting Card Cancellation (http://entimports.com/2016/10/philippines-government-was-to-drug-test-all-ufc-employees-prompting-card-cancellation/)
October 6, 2016

http://cdn.entimports.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Screen-Shot-2016-03-03-at-6.30.43-PM.png

Less than just two weeks away from fight night, Ultimate Fighting Championship has been forced to cancel their upcoming “UFC Fight Night 97” card in Pasay City, Philippines. UFC released a statement on Thursday morning, making the cancellation of the event official.

“UFC Fight Night 97” was set to air exclusively on UFC Fight Pass but the card seemed to have fallen victim to a plethora of bad news. It was revealed earlier this week that BJ Penn was forced to pull out of his fight with Ricardo Lamas, citing an injury. Just one day later, it was revealed that fighters would be forced to provide a blood sample for recreational drugs along with the regular in-fight testing executed on fight night.

Amidst the news of cancellations, it was later found out that it wasn’t just the fighters that would have been tested for recreational drugs, but every single employee making the trip to the Philippines. This includes the stagehands that set up the octagon, the production crew, and backstage crew.

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has made it a point to rid the Philippines of drug users, and claimed he wanted to kill 3,000,000 drug addicts. He likened himself to Adolf Hitler, saying, “If Germany had Hitler, the Philippines would have…,” while pointing to himself.

GeneChing
12-20-2016, 09:03 AM
clomiphene and hydroxy-clomiphene. :o

Brock Lesnar Suspended for 1 Year Over Failed UFC 200 Drug Tests (http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/the-wrap/article/Brock-Lesnar-Suspended-for-1-Year-Over-Failed-UFC-10799750.php)
Former heavyweight champion and WWE Superstar is also slapped with a $250,000 fine
Debbie Emery, provided by
Published 5:21 pm, Thursday, December 15, 2016

Former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar was hit with a one-year suspension by the Nevada Athletic Commission on Thursday after failing two drug tests in the lead up to his fight at UFC 200.
Media: CineSport

Former heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar has been suspended for one year by the Nevada State Athletic Commission after failing two drug tests ahead of UFC 200 in July.
The 290-pound human mountain tested positive for a pair of anti-estrogen drugs called clomiphene and hydroxy-clomiphene in both an out-of-competition drug sample collected on June 28 as well as a second sample taken on the night of his fight against Mark Hunt on July 9, Fox Sports reported.
Lesnar has also been fined $250,000. The sanctions were part of a signed settlement between Lesnar and the NSAC executive director, ESPN reported, following a unanimous vote among NSAC members Thursday.
After focusing on his WWE over recent years, Lesnar had returned to the Octagon for the first time since 2011 to take on Hunt in UFC 200, which he won via unanimous decision.
He won a $2.5 million purse for the bloody victory, so the fine was 10 percent of his total winnings.

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/55/76/25/12051825/5/920x920.jpg

It is not known whether the 39-year-old plans to fight again once his suspension is lifted on July 9, 2017. If so, he will have to submit clean drug samples at intervals of 30, 15 and three days prior to entering the Octagon.
As for his other career, Lesnar has wrestled 11 matches for WWE this year, but he is a part-time performer and therefore not subject to WWE’s wellness policy.

GeneChing
12-23-2016, 09:40 AM
Thu Dec 22, 2016 | 6:29pm EST
Mixed Martial Arts: 'Cyborg' Justino in possible doping violation (http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mixed-martial-arts-ufc-cyborg-idUSKBN14B2JI)

Top-ranked female mixed martial arts featherweight Cris "Cyborg" Justino has been informed by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) of a possible doping violation, the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) said on Thursday.

The UFC said in a statement it was formally notified that USADA told Justino of a potential anti-doping policy violation stemming from an out-of-competition sample collection on Dec. 5.

USADA, the independent administrator of the UFC's anti-doping policy, would handle "the appropriate adjudication of this case," the UFC said, adding that a full review process was assured under the policy before any sanctions may be imposed.

Justino last fought on Sept. 24, stopping Lina Lansberg in the second round as part of a UFC Fight Night event in her native Brazil.

The 31-year-old (17-1) previously tested positive for an anabolic steroid in December 2011, which she blamed on a diet supplement she received from a former coach.

(Reporting by Larry Fine in New York; Editing by Peter Rutherford)

Time to head over to WWE (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?49901-Mma-amp-wwe)?

boxerbilly
12-23-2016, 10:17 AM
Supplements. I recall years and years ago a very popular protein powder was spiked with one form or test or another. Everyone loved it. I was not big on supps back then. But spiking is nothing new. But to believe she was not aware of very specific supps given her, yeah okay !

I was given and told to take a 90 cycle of Halo when I was 18ish I believe. Little weight gain and you get strong as fu---- I did research and opted out. To young. As I grow older I am more inclined to say yes, give me the shots please. I don't think they are bad for older guys but some research says they are.

But, if you want to compete in **** near any sport you have to juice or go home. It was a major reason Andro was so popular. It was used as a masking agent.

GeneChing
01-18-2018, 11:42 AM
I'm copying all the marijuana references out of the MMA & Drugs (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?47075-MMA-amp-Drugs) thread and making this new Marijuana & MMA thread, and copying it to the marijuana tcm?!?!?!?!!? (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?52089-marijuana-tcm-!-!-!-!!) thread for good measure as this topic sometimes borders on medical usage. She's Californian, where pot is now legal recreationally.

Doping violation due to marijuana use leaves Cynthia Calvillo facing suspension (http://www.the42.ie/cynthia-calvillo-doping-violation-3803830-Jan2018/)
The UFC strawweight failed an in-competition test relating to her defeat to Carla Esparza last month.
6 hours ago 2,621 Views

http://c2.thejournal.ie/media/2018/01/ufc-209-woodley-vs-thompson-2-2-390x285.jpg
Image: Jeff Brown

THREE WEEKS SINCE she suffered the first defeat of her career, Cynthia Calvillo has been hit with another unwelcome development.

The 30-year-old Californian (6-1), who was beaten by Carla Esparza via unanimous decision on 30 December, failed an in-competition drug test for Carboxy-Tetrahydrocannabinol [THC] in relation to the UFC 219 bout in Las Vegas.

Carboxy-Tetrahydrocannabinol is “a metabolite of marijuana and/or hashish”, according to a UFC statement. Calvillo has been flagged by the United States Anti-Doping Agency [USADA] for being “above the decision limit of 180 ng/mL” for the substance.

In order to determine the sanctions that will subsequently be handed down, Calvillo will now be subjected to an adjudication process which will be carried out by both USADA and the Nevada Athletic Commission.

The UFC’s statement on the matter reads:

The UFC organization was notified today that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) informed Cynthia Calvillo of a potential Anti-Doping Policy violation involving Carboxy-Tetrahydrocannabinol (“Carboxy-THC”) which is a metabolite of marijuana and/or hashish, above the decision limit of 180 ng/mL, stemming from an in-competition sample collected in conjunction with her recent bout in Las Vegas, Nevada on December 30, 2017, UFC 219: Cyborg vs. Holm. USADA, the independent administrator of the UFC Anti-Doping Policy, will handle the results management and appropriate adjudication of this case involving Calvillo, as it relates to the UFC Anti-Doping Policy and future UFC participation. Because the Nevada Athletic Commission was the regulatory body overseeing the fight in Las Vegas and has licensing jurisdiction over Calvillo, USADA will work to ensure that the Nevada Athletic Commission has the necessary information to determine its proper judgment of Calvillo’s potential anti-doping violation. Additional information will be provided at the appropriate time as the process moves forward.
In April of last year, UFC middleweight Kelvin Gastelum was handed a three-month suspension and had his win against Vitor Belfort overturned to a ‘no contest’ after he failed a test as a result of marijuana use.

Calvillo made her UFC debut in March 2017 and embarked on a 3-0 run with the promotion prior to her defeat to Esparza. She is currently ranked eighth in the women’s 115-pound division.

GeneChing
11-01-2019, 08:34 AM
Russian 'Popeye' bodybuilder forced to tap out after three minutes of MMA fight (https://www.givemesport.com/1514976-russian-popeye-bodybuilder-forced-to-tap-out-after-three-minutes-of-mma-fight)
By Danny Ryan 15:10 21/10/19

https://gmsrp.cachefly.net/images/19/10/21/56184a67b2b5493e6d10a65fb0115d81/960.jpg

Kirill Tereshin, a name not exactly synonymous with fighting fans across the world.

So allow us to explain the background of the 23-year-old more commonly known by his nickname, 'Popeye'.

The Russian bodybuilder has injected synthol oil into his biceps to help make his now 24-inch diameter arms look unhealthily large.

Doctors have told him he runs the risk of losing his arms in the future, but that hasn't stopped him partaking in MMA fights.

Sadly for the man with probably the biggest arms in the world, fighting just isn't his game.

Tereshin fought blogger Oleg Mongol at a gym in Abakan in Russian and he was forced to tap out within three minutes.

You can watch footage of the fight below.

VIDEO (https://twitter.com/UFCrelated/status/1186266236650512384?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.givemesport.com%2F151497 6-russian-popeye-bodybuilder-forced-to-tap-out-after-three-minutes-of-mma-fight)

UFC Related 👊🏼
@UFCrelated
Russian 'Popeye' Bodybuilder Taps Out In Three Minutes During MMA Fight. He regularly injects oil into his biceps to make them the biggest arms in Russia. 🤣

Embedded video
6:01 AM - Oct 21, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
70 people are talking about this
Those big oil-filled arms are more of a hindrance than anything else.

Tereshin is on the hunt to find a specialist to try and fix his arms, saying back in August: "I used to go to the gym for two years before being called up for military service. In the army, I was worried that I would have a hard time and lose weight so I decided to try synthol oil.

"When I finished military service, I began to transform myself and did everything at home. My mum was very worried about what I was doing, but we are okay now that she knows synthol can be removed.

"In the beginning, I wanted to inject synthol oil into other parts of my body, but then the problems started and I stopped using it."

https://gmsrp.cachefly.net/images/19/10/21/4f701ed6afb04ea54c018b51a142759e/690.jpg

He is aware of the catastrophic state of his limbs, adding: "At the moment, my arms are in a bad state and are reddening.

"I have launched a fundraiser to see a doctor in Europe for treatment that costs around 3 million RUB (£37,760).

"I would love to go the UK for it, but the most important thing is that the treatment is successful."

Apologies to Jimbo for posting this on his Iron Arms thread (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71551-Iron-Arms). Synthol doesn't equal Iron. Also posted on our MMA & Drugs thread (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?47075-MMA-amp-Drugs) even though Synthol isn't quite a drug. We don't have an MMA & enhancement oil thread yet. :o

GeneChing
11-26-2019, 09:14 AM
NOVEMBER 25, 2019 / 2:21 PM / UPDATED 18 HOURS AGO
Mixed Martial Arts-UFC revises drugs policy over contaminated supplements (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sport-doping-ufc/mixed-martial-arts-ufc-revises-drugs-policy-over-contaminated-supplements-idUSKBN1XZ2IC)
Amy Tennery
2 MIN READ

(Reuters) - The UFC and U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) announced changes to the mixed martial arts organization’s drugs policy on Monday to address concerns over cases involving contaminated supplements.

The changes aim to differentiate between “intentional cheaters” and athletes who “innocently test positive”.

The revisions will affect athletes who ingest banned substances from sources like contaminated meat, medication and nutritional products and define ‘certified supplements’.

The new policy outlines concentration levels for substances that are regular contaminants and do not improve performance through the introduction of a “UFC prohibited list”.

Athletes who test positive for those substances below a specific threshold and who have not exhibited other signs of doping will not be sanctioned under the new rules.

“For several years, we have pushed for change to ensure that athletes can trust the food, medications, and supplements they use without fear of being treated like intentional, hard core cheaters,” USADA CEO Travis Tygart said in a statement.

“We expect these changes to go a long way in allowing this to happen and to show athletes who compete clean that their decisions will be supported and validated.”

Jeff Novitzky, the UFC’s vice president of athlete health and performance, cited the “pervasiveness of low level contaminates” as well as “increased levels of testing sensitivity” as factors in changing the guidelines.

“(There’s) an explicit need for decision concentration levels to ensure the program is penalizing intentional cheaters and not those athletes who have been faithfully adhering to the anti-doping policy,” Novitzky said in a statement.

USADA first developed an independent anti-doping program for the Ultimate Fighting Championship in 2015 after criticizing UFC for administering its own athlete testing without involving the national anti-doping group or the World Anti-Doping Agency.

Reporting by Amy Tennery; Editing by Ken Ferris

I didn't know contaminated meat could give a false positive.

GeneChing
01-09-2020, 08:58 AM
Bruno Silva suspended two years by USADA after failed drug test (https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/1/9/21057730/bruno-silva-suspended-two-years-usada-failed-drug-test-ufc)
By Guilherme Cruz@guicruzzz Jan 9, 2020, 10:00am EST

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/RK-tMZcZwDB2X3vaw00gtTFsi08=/0x0:5005x3337/920x613/filters:focal(1895x1047:2695x1847):format(webp)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/66070365/Bruno_Silva.0.jpg
Former M-1 Global middleweight champion Bruno Silva has yet to make his Octagon debut. Guilherme Cruz, MMA Fighting

Brazilian middleweight Bruno Silva received a two-year suspension from the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) after testing positive for the steroid boldenone prior to a scheduled bout with Deron Winn at UFC Greenville in June 2019, his manager told MMA Fighting.

Bernardo Serale, Silva’s rep, said they believe in Silva’s innocence and will do everything in their power to prove it. He declined to go into further detail about the fighter’s defense strategy.

USADA hasn’t made any formal announcement regarding Silva’s case, and a request for comment was acknowledged but not responded to. According to the anti-doping agency’s official website, Silva has been tested 10 times since signing with the UFC.

If the two-year ban stands, the Brazilian will be close to turning 32 by the time he’s cleared to fight again in 2021.

Silva, nicknamed “Blindado,” was set to make his Octagon debut against undefeated wrestler Winn in South Carolina. The bout came seven months after he won the M-1 Global middleweight championship in Russia. He was removed from the card after a failed drug test.

When MMA Fighting first reported Silva’s failed drug test, the UFC fighter released a statement guaranteeing he was innocent.

“I know, without a doubt, that I did everything according to the standards established by USADA,” Silva wrote on June 21, 2019. “I have faith in USADA that this situation will be resolved in a timely manner and that I will be cleared of any wrongdoing. For all my fans and supporters, thank you. I assure you that I did not disappoint you.”

boldenone is a great name for a steroid.