PDA

View Full Version : Please feed the troll. Which represent kung fu more?

Notintheface
07-05-2007, 03:19 PM
1- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lpRkNCPwYo&watch_response

2- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0-7USCZWR4&mode=related&search=
3- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8YZB5hta6A

I won't add my comments because I already made my feelings known.

But I would love to hear the communities opinion :)

:p Please feed the TROLL!!!!!:o

David Jamieson
07-05-2007, 03:34 PM
they all look like they come from kungfu schools.

why do you ask?

Notintheface
07-05-2007, 03:42 PM
Working the premise which is performing the given techniques represented in a kung fu system beyond the basic kick and punch in a hard contact venue.

SifuAbel
07-05-2007, 03:44 PM
Note signature:

Notintheface
07-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Love your sig... Do you have it to constantly remind yourself of your permanent state of being?
Lack of credibility I mean :)
Oh and look at my sig:

SifuAbel
07-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Continue noting sig: Comprehend its meaning, undertsand its implication.

Notintheface
07-05-2007, 04:11 PM
blink blink blink:confused: you lost me;):p

You should put your foam dipped gloves away to Abel

SifuAbel
07-05-2007, 04:12 PM
It wasn't hard. BTW, your sig is laughable, that as adult you still need your mommy to tell you what to do.

banditshaw
07-05-2007, 04:14 PM
This represents the Choy Li Fut side of things....sparring starts at 2:50.
Also they have other clips on youtube with some fighting as well.
These guys are fierce.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NmfgLD0Vw-I

Notintheface
07-05-2007, 04:21 PM
It wasn't hard. BTW, your sig is laughable, that as adult you still need your mommy to tell you what to do.

Lol dude did you eat lead paint chips as a child? Hey , I love my mommy! Plus, she is my cut person when I fight and she hold the focus mitts for me.... Plus she takes 10% as my manager :)

You are just jealous your mom thought what you were doing was actual fighting. My mom was smart enough to get me out of that nonsense.

Notintheface
07-05-2007, 04:25 PM
These guys are fierce.

LOl dude I hate those swinging punches but my god at 3:00 he Bopped that dude something good!

Ok but wtf is up with the dude eating the cup and trying to cut his tongue with the broken glass :eek: Spiritual kung fu 4tl

Notintheface
07-05-2007, 04:28 PM
WTF I just noticed.... Abel how old are you in the video? You dam hippie :)

David Jamieson
07-05-2007, 04:54 PM
why do you hate swing punches?

prince nassim used to use them often in his highly unorthodox style of boxing and dare i say it, he won a few fights with those ghastly things!

shooting, pulling guard, boxing + muay thais kicks are the way of the ufc.

they are not the only way to ktfo someone.

Notintheface
07-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Oh no I don't hate them because they not part of MMA. Actually I hate them because if done correctly are ****ing surprising as all hell. I have seen those knock people out in both street fights and MMA fights.

If done correctly..hell even if done incorrectly, they have a habit of coming in and out of my blind spot.

Notintheface
07-05-2007, 05:33 PM
OMg Sifuabel has a fan club :) http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56969

SifuAbel
07-05-2007, 05:57 PM
And you're a coward. :rolleyes:

Mr Punch
07-05-2007, 05:58 PM
Er, none of them represent my kung fu. I do.

Furthermore, none of them represent kung fu as a whole. Nobody does.

Incidentally, I thought the first one was pretty cool (though how much that there Mongolian wrestling looks like BJJ always surprises me...!) . The second one was OK as far as it went, but they seemed to need the padding less than the first bunch, and they really needed an injection of pace and challenge from someone outside of their style (say a six-month boxer, Thai or BJJer if they were up for teh gr4ppl3! ... my Grandma would've done, but unfortunately she's no longer with us). The third bloke had a great line in devastating soft furnishings. Perfect against the Spanish Inquisition. And Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition. Hard to tell what he is like against a humanoid though.

Which one are you Abel?

Mr Punch
07-05-2007, 06:02 PM
BTW, didn't Notintheface already put his name up once? What do you want? His birthstone? His favourite wine and smooch music? Or just straight down to his inside leg?

Mat Hill,
Tokyo.
:p

Notintheface
07-05-2007, 06:02 PM
O.o You came to that conclusion how?

You challenged me to pistols at dawn? Oh wait I didn't photo copy my library card and post it as proof as who I am? No, wait, I don't have a super secret monkey boy decoder ring?

I'm a coward... ok cool but then you are a putz. Next time post something of yourself after you finished puberty.

hehe I am so waiting for you to challenge me so I can do my best imitation of you and not show up :D

I really need to improve my net-fu and getting you to not show to a challenge will win me 12 bullshido points. Then I get to wear a "I was challeneged by Sifu Abel but he didn't show and I had to be comforted with this shirt" shirt :(

Notintheface
07-05-2007, 06:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8YZB5hta6A <~~~~~~~~~~~ Before he hit puberty it seems......... He was kung fu fighting Yo!

SifuAbel
07-05-2007, 06:32 PM
BTW, didn't Notintheface already put his name up once?
Mat Hill,
Tokyo.

Really? where? missed that completely.

Mat Hill, Tokyo. Is that where you are now, Matt?

Oso
07-05-2007, 06:49 PM
um, hasn't Mat been in tokyo for a while now????

NITF: define 'kung fu' first. :p

Mr Punch
07-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Over seven and a half years.

Oso
07-05-2007, 07:10 PM
well, a bit longer than I've been visiting here but I had always associated you w/ residing there. :)

still pizzed that I didn't pick up on who Mr. Punch was...I knew I recognized the style but, well, I'm a bear of little brain. :cool:

Mr Punch
07-05-2007, 07:17 PM
I cocked it up.
The second one was OK as far as it went, but they seemed to need the padding less than the first bunch, and they really needed an injection of pace and challenge from someone outside of their style (say a six-month boxer, Thai or BJJer if they were up for teh gr4ppl3! ... my Grandma would've done, but unfortunately she's no longer with us).That was the third one NITF linked, which since turns out to be Abel. It was quite pants really, looking at it again. Absolutely no rooting - and for those who are going to come out with the 'real fighting doesn't look like kung fu' **** I'm not necessarily talking about kung fu style 'Jack and the Beanstalk rooting' (i.e. takes a long time, is superstrong, impossible to uproot though you can cut it down easily, and is total ****ing fantasy...?! :eek: :D ) but boxers, Thai boxers, even TKDers have better rooting than that vid... so the strikes looked seriously slappy crap. No offence at all to you Abel, I appreciate that this was 17 years ago, and I'm in no way denigrating your ability at all.
The third bloke had a great line in devastating soft furnishings. Perfect against the Spanish Inquisition. And Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition. Hard to tell what he is like against a humanoid though.That was the Dave Lacey clip.

The second clip from NITF was OK. But again, they need to practice against other styles... it didn't look like anyone was particularly out of their comfort zone.

Mr Punch
07-05-2007, 07:26 PM
well, a bit longer than I've been visiting here but I had always associated you w/ residing there. :)I found this place in a boring moment in a net cafe in Tokyo. It's all part of the living in the Big Mikan metropolis fantasy - none of you actually exist outside the anime playing in my head. Except Knifefighter. Which is scary. GET THE **** OUT OF HERE! :eek:

Oh yeah, then I woke up married to a cute lil wife with a cute lil baby... and you malcontents and miscreants are still out there somewhere: truth can be uglier than fiction!

Oh well, at least I have wing chun and aikido with which I can slip back into fantasy, where felons attack with one lunge of a wooden knife... :)

still pizzed that I didn't pick up on who Mr. Punch was...I knew I recognized the style but, well, I'm a bear of little brain. :cool:Didn't know I had a style... Rumbled! :D

Oso
07-05-2007, 07:41 PM
puhleeze, the biggest fakey out there now is that mma fighters don't exhibit style like supposed kung fu fighters are supposed to.

of course we here 'uns all have a recognizable style.

huh, so married and children in Tokyo....you're a lifer then?

The second clip from NITF was OK. But again, they need to practice against other styles... it didn't look like anyone was particularly out of their comfort zone.

getting out of that comfort zone is essential.

sparring/fighting is completely contextual. that's something the NHB naysayers can't unwind their panties about...UFC, IFL, Pride...whatever has no written distinction regarding style. Just specific places you can't hit...with good reason. If your entire style/system revolves around eye gouges and groin strikes then you best just stay within your red and gold walled temples and just sftu.

this might sound like a 'look at me, look at me' but getting other styles into my school for my students, and me, to spar with has been right up front for a while now. I got the crap kicked out of my leg and foot last week because we had some muay thai folks in. 2 weeks before that a 300# jujitsu buddy of mine came in and sparred with us. next weekend the kempo/thai guys will be back.

ok, rant off...g'night Gracie.

SifuAbel
07-06-2007, 12:36 AM
BTW, didn't Notintheface already put his name up once? What do you want

Link please. :rolleyes:

SifuAbel
07-06-2007, 12:38 AM
but boxers, Thai boxers, even TKDers have better rooting than that vid... so the strikes looked seriously slappy crap. No offence at all to you Abel, I appreciate that this was 17 years ago, and I'm in no way denigrating your ability at all.

I'm sorry I wasn't clod footed enough for you. :rolleyes:

Quid pro quo.

I'd like to see something of yours to compare it to. Just to see where you are coming from.

Mr Punch
07-06-2007, 03:22 AM
I'm sorry I wasn't clod footed enough for you. :rolleyes: As I intimated in my post, I wasn't meaning that TCMA WC-y flat-footed stomp, but a boxer's root or any kind of root would do.

I can't see where you're rooting in that clip. Like I said, I wasn't slagging your style off: I just don't understand the mechanics of what you're doing so it looks like puny unrooted *****-slapping and sloppy kicks that leacve the kicker off-balance.

Quid pro quo.Clarice?

I'd like to see something of yours to compare it to. Just to see where you are coming from.Shame and no surprise Hannibal, but I don't have anything on digital. I move like a boxer footwork wise, but don't bounce half as much. When it comes to the strikes/kicks my rooting is a little different to a boxer's too of course, but I aim to attain the same quick-changed feeling of floating-rooting-floating.

Notintheface
07-06-2007, 08:16 AM
NITF: define 'kung fu' first

That is what I have been trying to do sheeesssshhhh... But Sifuunable keeps getting chocolate in my peanut butter

SifuAbel
07-06-2007, 09:49 AM
As I intimated in my post, I wasn't meaning that TCMA WC-y flat-footed stomp, but a boxer's root or any kind of root would do.

Abstract things like root or power being dealt cannot really be seen fully by watching a video. One can only gauge it by the effects on the opponent. Just because you can't see a connection doesn't mean there wasn't one. If by boxers root you mean just standing there............:rolleyes:

SoCo KungFu
07-06-2007, 09:50 AM
If I remember the original posts that this argument came from it was that people were talking about what is that TCMA has that is unique and could benefit MMA fighters am I right? And then yadda yadda yadda a few days later Sifu Abel posts his link and says it has things that are unique, Am I right? Basically everybody is of the opinion that there was nothing unique about it and it looked like basic kickboxing, Am I right? Then Sifu Abel got PO'd, Am I right still?

And here we are now. And still, there is nothing in the clip unique to kung fu. It was just punching and kicking. And wasn't there a comment that what made it unique was what was behind the punches and kicks? But I can't say I personally saw anything that would lead me to think that. I'm not trying to be a di(k I really don't see it. The kicks weren't even set up in a "Kung Fu" manner. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing...but....that's not the topic. I mean, millions of kung fu schools worldwide don't just practices their Golden Chicken/Hanging Horse/Dog Lifts its Leg to Pee on Your Shoes/whatever you call it stance for nothing...or do they? And yes, as a pre-emptive. Everyone knows that in actual use no one moves like in the forms (man I can't believe I'm about to use forms as a gage of kung fu) and that every one stream lines their moves to be faster (bare with me now). BUT then saying that just shows the point. There is no kung fu "uniqueness" in the manner the techs were delivered. The little trip thingy was neat though.

I enjoyed that Underground Kung Fu vid. Thanks to whoever found that originally as I don't remember.

SifuAbel
07-06-2007, 10:03 AM
I'm not trying to be a di(k ........... The kicks weren't even set up in a "Kung Fu" manner.

I needed a good laugh today. "In a kung fu manner. " LOL!! ROFL!!

In only a few ways is the body positioning, footwork, execution, and continuing strategy "just like average kickboxing" . That is what I meant by "whats behind". Its not just two guys standing there trading blows until someone goes down. And its definitely not two guys trying to do form specific movements.

SifuAbel
07-06-2007, 10:24 AM
That is what I have been trying to do sheeesssshhhh... But Sifuunable keeps getting chocolate in my peanut butter

Thats not chocolate. ;)

SoCo KungFu
07-06-2007, 10:36 AM
I needed a good laugh today. "In a kung fu manner. " LOL!! ROFL!!

I'm glad you think its funny, I'm working on my stand up comedic routine. That being said, if you can't tell me the difference between a "text book" KF roundkick and a "text book" MT kick for example, then this is going to be a boring argument.

In only a few ways is the body positioning, footwork, execution, and continuing strategy "just like average kickboxing" .

You're right. An average kickboxer would have set up their attacks much more effectively. I didn't see any use of body positioning in the least. No closing the center line (nor opening for that matter), no working the angles, inefficiency in working the center. Footwork? What footwork? One guy always ran forward while the other kept retreating. The only examples of trying to use footwork was the guy that attempt to trap a retreat by hooking with 7 star stance and the lil' sweep thingy. You know what you, I'll even give you that one. Its hard to use any special footwork when all your opponent is doing is running backward. Execution? Dude it was straight punch after straight punch. Continuing Strat? Again, straight punch anyone? Oh yeah, I guess there was a couple back kicks and a way off spinning backfist, but at least they tried.

That is what I meant by "whats behind". Its not just two guys standing there trading blows until someone goes down.

That's exactly what it looks like to me.

In turn I think its funny that you think my post is funny. Kung fu is like any other art in that there actually is a strategy to the way it employs its techniques. As to my kicks comment. Ok, then. I've seen all you guys post over the years and you all like to use the argument that forms are a tool to train your moves in the most perfectly precise motion in the most perfect situation in the most perfectly perfect world. You tell me why when I see a form on youtube 90% of all the kicks are motioning through a certain posture with various inclusions of hand work (which while may differ from style to style general are used to accomplish a similar effect.)

Hey look I'm just using the logic that most of the people here use.

So you are telling me there is no difference between kung fu methodology and another art? What exactly was your argument then in the beginning?

Abstract things like root or power being dealt cannot really be seen fully by watching a video. One can only gauge it by the effects on the opponent.
There wasn't anything unusual about the effects. You punched him in the head and he walked backwards. What's so abstract about that?

Anyways I think its pretty evident between the various clips what the difference is.

Becca
07-06-2007, 10:39 AM
These guys are fierce.

Sweet! The bit of form that starts @ 28 seconds looks spooky similar to one I know as Dragon Bite.:)

SifuAbel
07-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Somebody needs to cut out the kung fu movies. Who is you teacher, boy?

SifuAbel
07-06-2007, 10:51 AM
There wasn't anything unusual about the effects. You punched him in the head and he walked backwards. What's so abstract about that?

LOL!! ROFL!! You're an idiot!!! LOL!! And don't even know why!!! LOL!!!!!

SoCo KungFu
07-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Somebody needs to cut out the kung fu movies. Who is you teacher, boy?
OMG Did I not just mention this concept? Did I not just say that in application NOTHING looks like in a form? So tell me, if everyone stream lines their techniques for actual fighting (KF, MT, MMA whatever) how is your clip ANY DIFFERENT AT ALL to any other art? Dude I said the same thing you said. Its the methodology behind the approach that can vary. But you tell me WHERE is there any of that methodology in your clip if its and I quote "In only a few ways is the body positioning, footwork, execution, and continuing strategy "just like average kickboxing."

Anyways, I'm glad you've finally come to terms with the advice people here have been trying to give you over the years. I've posted where I have trained in a couple threads now even though its irrelevant because my take on things are different than my sifus and I am not hesitant to say that.

Boy? I ain't your boy and don't expect any respect from me if you don't give it in kind. And..you might want to watch were you sling that, in some areas that can be considered racially disparaging.

I guess its easy to just sideskirt a technically based argument with insults. But then that would be the way things go here wouldn't it? I don't know what your deal is because I have never before even posted to you let alone insulted you. Get your panties out of a knot and play nice okay there cupcake.

SifuAbel
07-06-2007, 11:06 AM
If you are black , it was not meant racially.

But It still stands you don't even know why......... :rolleyes:

Your "technical" analysis was "cute".

SoCo KungFu
07-06-2007, 11:23 AM
If you are black , it was not meant racially.

But It still stands you don't even know why......... :rolleyes:

If I don't know then school me. If you know something the say it, don't sling insults. Now if you are eluding to some chi blast or fahjing theory...Sevenstar already went over this same topic and posted a nice little bit on how that same stuff applies to western boxing so...nothing unique. Well maybe if you can chi blast. Then alls I got to say is...HADUKEN!!..pics or it didn't happen.

Your "technical" analysis was "cute".
Glad you liked it, not as "cute" as you though pumpkin.

I wasn't joking when I said first I wasn't being a di(k. I want to know if there is something there unique to kung fu. I'm waiting for someone to educate it. But since you are the only one holding your view (in this thread that I can tell), you got to be the one. So until you use your argument to argue my argument then my argument stands until its changed. But I got to say, if you aren't going to bring something logically based and just sling names, then I think I've already given you more respect than you deserve.

LOL!! ROFL!! You're an idiot!!! LOL!! And don't even know why!!! LOL!!!!!
4 posts now directed to me with this same immaturity and you still haven't managed to speak one inkling of a logical thought. Just schoolboy pranks. Seriously, I'm not calling you out at a whim like you say others here are. Really, what is it that is so kung fu about it? Use whatever you want to say it. Mantis has its 12 keys, 8 hard/soft methods. Hung has its bridges, etc. I'm sure your style has something in an organised method so what is it?

SifuAbel
07-06-2007, 11:59 AM
No I'm going to drag you around for a while. Some things are so blatantly obvious that it seems comical to try and explain then to you.

golden arhat
07-06-2007, 12:10 PM
i think one is the best
then 2 and then 3

simply because in 1 they grapple as well

as for representing kung fu
i think neither
as most dont train as well as these guys

SifuAbel
07-06-2007, 12:15 PM
I hate to sound like knifefighter but. #2 is play fighting. There is NO contact at all. Maybe a few knockdowns that were gentle. I could play like that all day. Its cute that they did all these techniques, But without consequence. This is where the kung fu movie mentality steps in.

Notintheface
07-06-2007, 12:33 PM
I hate to sound like knifefighter but. #2 is play fighting. There is NO contact at all. Maybe a few knockdowns that were gentle. I could play like that all day. Its cute that they did all these techniques, But without consequence. This is where the kung fu movie mentality steps in.

Wow, im gonna have to agree with you on the part that it was play fighting. But in all seriousness, what you were doing was not that different but with the age content and level of experience at the time it makes more sense.

Notintheface
07-06-2007, 12:37 PM
The thing is even if you say intent behind the blows it does not change what is actually being used. If you take a 1st year tkd students, karate student,kung fu student it will all look the same. Later on take those same students and comapre them and their sparring still looks the same. They teach "self defense techniques" and sparring. The self defense is considered the core or what the style is real about but why is it the technique are not applicable by most if not anyone in a real fight scenario? The War Dvd thing show a bit more promise because they are actually trying to use what they say is real. In the play sparring they are trying but in your and please don't take this as an offense but it is just generic sparring.

SifuAbel
07-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Like I told soco, you weren't there to feel it. To comment on abstracts like root, power etc. is foolhardy.

Is it my best stuff, no, not by a long shot. MY critique of my younger self would be more along the lines of youthful laziness. Not keeping a tighter guard, be even more aggressive.

Lets get a few of the more blatantly obvious things out of the way.

1. The video in question is a highlight reel of many different rounds. With different people, different gear options and power levels at play.

2. To say there was "no" this or that is a clumsy opinion. It may be different to what you think is good fighting, but it was there. Angles, a plenty. Footwork was very mobile. We don't plod along.

3. The notion that one must perch themselves and hold a hanging horse to do a round kick as the "kung fu manner" is laughable.

4. To state that other arts have a strategy too is not an argument.

5. Repeating what I say and trying to sound like its something different is silly. Figure that one out.

6. "I've posted where I have trained in a couple threads now even though its irrelevant because my take on things are different than my sifus and I am not hesitant to say that."

Because you know so much better than them. :rolleyes:

7. You can't see my style because you don't know my style. Perhaps if you saw it in slo mo you'd see it more.

SoCo KungFu
07-06-2007, 02:14 PM
No I'm going to drag you around for a while. Some things are so blatantly obvious that it seems comical to try and explain then to you.

You aren't dragging me anywhere. I'm still standing here waiting for you to get over yourself.

Like I told soco, you weren't there to feel it. To comment on abstracts like root, power etc. is foolhardy.

They why bring it up to begin with? And its not like its impossible. As I said, Sevenstar made a nice post about how that same stuff is applied in Western boxing. I've been hit by iron palm guys before. I've been hit by pressure point guys before (well in all honesty I was standing there letting them try it), I've been hit by boxers before, karate guy, a taichi guy, ect. In most cases getting punched in the kisser feels just like that, getting punched in the kisser. Now there are sometimes that you get hit and are like WTF? Like the iron palm guy (it felt like his hand went all the way through my chest and the muscles in my back cramped up.) If you tried to explain a little you might be surprised some here might understand what you mean.

Is it my best stuff, no, not by a long shot. MY critique of my younger self would be more along the lines of youthful laziness. Not keeping a tighter guard, be even more aggressive.

The only people here thinking it was were the flamers. No body is saying that you 17 years ago are going to be what you are now. The issue isn't whether or not you are skilled now (or even then). The issue was whether or not the clip you posted was of anything other than what could be done with found in another art. And I just don't think that is the case. Like NITF already stated, I don't want to offend but its generic sparring.

Lets get a few of the more blatantly obvious things out of the way.

1. The video in question is a highlight reel of many different rounds. With different people, different gear options and power levels at play.

This is irrelevant to the original topic of the thread. With the exception of gear, as I will give you that a lot of techniques are hard enough to do with bare hands let alone trying to grab at crap with gloves on.

2. To say there was "no" this or that is a clumsy opinion. It may be different to what you think is good fighting, but it was there. Angles, a plenty. Footwork was very mobile. We don't plod along.

What any of us think is good fighting is irrelevant. What is at issue is whether what was displayed was unique to kung fu and going back to the other thread which this spawned from...could be extrapolated and trained to the benefit of a MMA fighter. These skills presented in this clip are things which they already train.

3. The notion that one must perch themselves and hold a hanging horse to do a round kick as the "kung fu manner" is laughable.

You're right "perching" is laughable. But there is a mechanic involved in executing technique. Like I said, I'm just repeating the same crap that 90&#37; of the people say. Forms are for solo training to get your most perfectly refined technique in the most perfect situation. That is what they all say right? And hey its not my fault that all the kicks in the forms that people are posting happen to go through a certain frame work; I didn't make em. I'm just using the "kung fu guy" argument. Why it is, I don't care I don't kick that way. I was informed once in a KF discussion it was more deceptive to hide the angle of the kick until after the knee is raised. In some cases it might be, but I think you're just asking to get jammed and taken down.

4. To state that other arts have a strategy too is not an argument.

I don't remember arguing about that. What was said was that kung fu as an art must have certain strategic and/or technical differences than another art, or "average kickboxing" as was coined earlier in the thread. This concept, which you have to agree is true otherwise you could not post "In only a few ways is the body positioning, footwork, execution, and continuing strategy "just like average kickboxing." A concept which I agree is with certain elements to be true. However I disagree that those defining elements are found within the clip you posted. I feel that the clip you posted I could find the same things in 1 of the 9 million other vids on youtube from karate, tkd, mt whatever...

5. Repeating what I say and trying to sound like its something different is silly. Figure that one out.

6. "I've posted where I have trained in a couple threads now even though its irrelevant because my take on things are different than my sifus and I am not hesitant to say that."

Because you know so much better than them.

"Repeating what I say and trying to sound like its something different is silly. Figure that one out." I have different experiences than them. Do they have more experience in kung fu than me? Yes. I never said otherwise. But they grew up in a different time, a different place and lived around different people. My first sifu has reach that I'll never have. The guy is just tall. Things that he does I can't do. My current sifu has like 70 lbs on me. He's a tree, and I wouldn't expect any less from a hung gar fighter. There are things he can do that I can't dream of pulling off. I can't try to out muscle the people he can. So yes, my take on fighting is different than them. And I only follow the advice that was given me, to question everything they teach and when I think I figure it out question it again.

7. You can't see my style because you don't know my style. Perhaps if you saw it in slo mo you'd see it more.

This could very well be correct. Which is why I asked you to comment of such things to begin with. However while there are stylistic aspects to certain kung fu that are not found universally; the basic mechanics are often quite similar if not the same (and I think that extends to various arts as well.) Like you said, there are only so many ways a body can move.

You can sit there and laugh to yourself all you want. Nothing you have said has yet to change anything.

Like NITF I will agree here. But everyone has to start somewhere. Its still better than most schools. I think they are doing well for a group that is moving from arranged drills to free sparring. I'd like to see a clip of free sparring in a couple years to know how it turns out. I personally don't put this one over your clip. I think they are 2 different things. Both have areas that need cleaning up (and I'm just going to assume that in the past 17 years you have done a lot of that.)

My opinion still stands though. Anyways off to work now. Thanks for the discussion ;)

SifuAbel
07-06-2007, 02:22 PM
What discussion? All you've basically said is "i can't see it."

Notintheface
07-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Like I told soco, you weren't there to feel it.

I doubt the person you were kicking felt it either:):rolleyes:

Notintheface
07-06-2007, 02:27 PM
The notion that one must perch themselves and hold a hanging horse to do a round kick as the "kung fu manner" is laughable.

No you must be in lady horse while holding a pot between your knees

SifuAbel
07-06-2007, 03:32 PM
I doubt the person you were kicking felt it either:):rolleyes:

Your doubts are irrelevant.

Notintheface
07-06-2007, 04:44 PM
and you fight like a girl :) oh wait that is an insult to girls :eek:

Golden Spider
07-07-2007, 12:41 AM
1- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lpRkNCPwYo&watch_response

2- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0-7USCZWR4&mode=related&search=
3- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8YZB5hta6A

I won't add my comments because I already made my feelings known.

But I would love to hear the communities opinion :)

~Back on topic... Well, none of the videos linked represented *my* interpretation of kungfu. Oh well.

Notintheface
07-07-2007, 02:34 AM
O.k., I am gonna dare and ask this...What is your interpretation of kungfu?

Golden Spider
07-09-2007, 01:10 AM
...well.
I don't regard the pseudo-gladiatorial perspective of MMAs as gungfu. Nor do I have much respect for the gymnastic-fu so prevalent in Shaolin temple demos. While I won't claim rank in any style, and even regard it as laughable in most instances, my own perspective is based on a lifestyle.
~ The video links posted, IMO, were of people poorly trained, and by instructors with little grasp on the extremes to which personal conflict can go. Training with military types, and law enforcement helps, but still falls short of the "Temple" mystique. Which, further more, IMO, can be attained to. Realism, trumps ALL. Fantasy is a no-no.
*People who train like monks in CLOSED temples, or hermits in caves, more represent my "idea" of gongfu*. Nope, my perspective does not cater to convenance, or commercialization, but I'm just some random person in cyberspace. So, what does it matter?
Cheers!

Notintheface
07-09-2007, 06:15 AM
People who train like monks in CLOSED temples, or hermits in caves, more represent my "idea" of gongfu*

Once you said this you lost :) go train in your cave:rolleyes:

Notintheface
07-09-2007, 06:17 AM
Which, further more, IMO, can be attained to. Realism, trumps ALL. Fantasy is a no-no

This can not be attained unless you get punched in the face :rolleyes: and actually learn how to dodge.

Mr Punch
07-09-2007, 05:21 PM
*People who train like monks in CLOSED temples, or hermits in caves, more represent my "idea" of gongfu*. Pwfffzzzggbwbwzzbwwwwwwuhaaaahahahaha (sp?)
Nope, my perspective does not cater to convenance, or commercialization, Or sanity, or realism, or intellectual honesty, or adults, or ideas of useful training, or regard for safety and thus life...

I think I'll quit while you're behind.

but I'm just some random person in cyberspace. So, what does it matter?
Cheers!True! It matters not a jot!

You're not the Messiah, you're a very silly boy.

Sifu Darkfist
07-10-2007, 01:34 PM
I can say it is funny how someone takes a film like number 2 and represents it as the same circumstance as the other two.

It is a simple promotional video of kung fu brothers exercising not sanda or san shou.

It helps to represent the reality with the reality.

Golden Spider
07-14-2007, 01:36 AM
This can not be attained unless you get punched in the face :rolleyes: and actually learn how to dodge.

~Well, *actually*, learning some western boxing from a guy who boxed Golden Gloves was one of the best lessons I ever learned. He competed on the Marine Corp. team at one time as I recall. It's been years since I've seen him.~

Golden Spider
07-14-2007, 01:41 AM
Pwfffzzzggbwbwzzbwwwwwwuhaaaahahahaha (sp?) Or sanity, or realism, or intellectual honesty, or adults, or ideas of useful training, or regard for safety and thus life...

I think I'll quit while you're behind.

True! It matters not a jot!

You're not the Messiah, you're a very silly boy.

~Wow Mr. Punch, you seem to think you understand me very well. But you don't. Being called a boy, at age 30, doesn't make much sense to me, however. Maybe I'm younger than you.
Where did I claim to be a "Messiah"? You've lost me on that one.

John Takeshi
07-14-2007, 05:24 AM
I am the Messiah. I died, that I might save all men--a small thing for an immortal to do, and I didn't really save that many anyways...

Well, you said it, sir. Personally, I found the use of red lettering a little overboard. But hey, mate. Whatever cooks your goose.

Golden Spider
07-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Ummmm, I started posting on page four. Never made any such remarks. Please see initial and following responses to my 1st post in this thread. I would never mis-quote Jeebus anyways. Except to be an ass, heh heh.
~Wow, this place iz kinda like bullshido...fulla' trolls.

Mr Punch
07-15-2007, 03:12 AM
~Wow Mr. Punch, you seem to think you understand me very well. But you don't. Being called a boy, at age 30, doesn't make much sense to me, however. Maybe I'm younger than you.Nah, I don't think I understand you, but I do know I don't care.

You're younger than me but that's irrelevant: you've never heard 'boy' as a term of disparagement or disrespect? And you live in Tennessee...

Where did I claim to be a "Messiah"? You've lost me on that one.And actually, it was a quote from Monty Python's Life of Brian - maybe it's still banned down there...?

Golden Spider
07-15-2007, 11:51 PM
The feeling is mutual.

Oh, pretty typical of the online community, you are a fine representative, Mr. Punch.

I'm not a fan of Monty's humor, never have cared for it. I think the banning of a film in a particular state may be a fantasy of yours, though I haven't researched it, and am not inclined to.
~Oh well...

Becca
07-16-2007, 06:58 AM
Why Punch, I think you made a fweind....:D

TenTigers
07-16-2007, 07:32 AM
sure, this place is fulla trolls. Trolls, azoles,and moles, but there are a few good folks here as well. (actually, I kinda like the trolls);)