PDA

View Full Version : How do you fund your lessons/gear/comp fees??

xcakid
07-06-2007, 07:28 AM
The kung fu elite thread got me thinking.

I know some of you guys teach/own schools. However for the average joe. How do you/did you fund your lessons.

In JrHigh and H.S. my parents paid for it.
When I was in the military, it was rather cheap, $25 a month for TaeKwonDo/KukSulWon.
After the military, I was working as a purchasing agent. That funded my Shaolin Kempo lesson. Then ended up owning a school for a couple of years. My Arnis lessons were free though. That was a plus. Instructor was a friend of the family :)
I then sold that school, went on to be a stockbroker, got into institutional investment sales, and then a bond trader. Thats how I funded my Ying Jow Pai lessons.

Now I am unemployed, but picking up some temp/contract work every few months. That is how I fund my Shaolin Long Fist classes. Gear and misc expense relating to that goes on credit card. Money is tight, but somehow I make it. Funny how that works.

I would try man-whoring, but I think I would get less than Deuce Bigalow.

How do you guys fund you fix for the MA?

MasterKiller
07-06-2007, 07:43 AM
How do you guys fund you fix for the MA?

My job. .

RD'S Alias - 1A
07-06-2007, 07:55 AM
I recruite training partners and charge them to train with me.

xcakid
07-06-2007, 08:01 AM
I recruite training partners and charge them to train with me.

That's a nice twist. I was teaching a couple of my friends arnis, but never charged them. I should've.

SifuAbel
07-06-2007, 10:28 AM
My job. .

Me too.......

GeneChing
07-06-2007, 10:30 AM
...but I'm an exception... :)

MasterKiller
07-06-2007, 10:40 AM
No, I meant my job funds my martial arts.

xcakid
07-06-2007, 11:15 AM
I guess I shoulda said, what kind of job do you have that allows you disposable income to partake in MA? :p

Are you super rich? or do you have to budget it in?

MasterKiller
07-06-2007, 11:18 AM
I guess I shoulda said, what kind of job do you have that allows you disposable income to partake in MA? :p

Are you super rich? or do you have to budget it in?

I make more than I'm worth and have a lot of disposable income.

SoCo KungFu
07-06-2007, 11:32 AM
I sold a kidney...hey it wasn't mine:cool:

But seriously the only reason I even got motivated to work when I was a kid was to start MA...I wish I could say my job funds it now but it seems like since I joined the military its been harder and harder to get decent consistant training.

bodhitree
07-06-2007, 11:42 AM
MA is the only fun thing I can afford. Definately budgeted in.

golden arhat
07-06-2007, 12:23 PM
robbery, assault, kidnapping

take ur pick

PangQuan
07-06-2007, 12:52 PM
I personally am in banking sooo....$$

But I also just toss my current intructor a Grant once a month and we are cool.

Notintheface
07-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Public school teacher :D I have your children all day long and I am teaching them to type like I do!

Becca
07-06-2007, 01:06 PM
Order expediter. I get to harass people at work, too. And then I come here to say all the things I don't get to say to my vendors when they say/do something silly.;):D

I can't count the number of times people have shipped stuff to themselves and expected my company to foot the bill... How did they get to work that day without knowing their company's address?!?:eek:

xcakid
07-06-2007, 01:21 PM
I can't count the number of times people have shipped stuff to themselves and expected my company to foot the bill... How did they get to work that day without knowing their company's address?!?:eek:

So that doesn't work huh? Putting the return addr. same as mailing addr.

Becca
07-06-2007, 02:30 PM
No, seriously. I have this one vendor that routinely ships to the "order address" (them) with the "delivery address" (us) as the billing address. Then she refuses the package and makes UPS return it to her. And expects us to pay for it anyway.

It was funny the first time or two. Now I hate getting varience paperwork for that company. You don't get to ask them questions like, "How did you get to work without knowing where it is?":o

TenTigers
07-06-2007, 03:43 PM
you own a fukin computer and you waste time sitting on yer fat arse posting with fools like us, and then you say you can't pay for lessons?
GET YER PRIORITIES STRAIGHT!!!!

stop trainng, and spend more time on KFO with us.