PDA

View Full Version : Is Long Fist just Kick boxing with....

RD'S Alias - 1A
07-08-2007, 11:01 AM
... a huge arsenal of joint locks a throws, trips, uproots and take downs added?

And if you think that is the case, what current competitive fighters most closely show the fighting principals and strategies of Long Fist in action?

MasterKiller
07-08-2007, 01:58 PM
It's not *just* kickboxing. There are some acrobatic moves like tornado kicks, cartwheels, and double jump kicks. You don't see things like low back sweeps in Kickboxing.

But the principles are similar, and a lot of the footwork is similar if not identical.

Mulong
07-08-2007, 04:20 PM
However, it will be short slightness to view changquan only for it “ti” (kicks), which in actuality doesn’t have that many, as some seem to view. Most northern style (baishi), usually use one to two kicks, i.e., tantui (flicking leg), etc. Indeed, some advance sets (taolu) do have an array of fancy kicks, but the norm is simply a snap kick.

What is over look it is fist techniques, entwining skills, controlling and throwing skiils; hence, it isn’t kickboxing, but possibly few truly understand the depth of the abyss it self.

SifuAbel
07-08-2007, 04:54 PM
but possibly few truly understand the depth of the abyss it self.

well said.

MasterKiller
07-08-2007, 05:03 PM
Most northern style (baishi), usually use one to two kicks, i.e., tantui (flicking leg), etc. Indeed, some advance sets (taolu) do have an array of fancy kicks, but the norm is simply a snap kick.

What?

Inside crescents, outside crescents, front snap kicks, side kicks, front push kicks, spinning back kicks....All pretty standard long fist kicks.

Tan Tui might focus primarily on the front snap kick and front push kick, but most schools use Tan Tui as beginner training sets, if they even teach it at all anymore.

RD'S Alias - 1A
07-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Here is my premise. Long Fist uses the same basic fighting strategies as Kick Boxing, with the addition of locks and throws. Infact, it is rich with locks and throws.

I am seeing Long Fist is being built on like a Kick Boxing framework where it uses kick boxing like tactics to set up and finnish with locks and throws similar to Shuia Jiao.

So, that being said if we were to create a venue where you could do Kick Boxing, but with the added throws and locks found throughout Long Fist, then we, in theory, should be able to site plenty examples of high level Long Fist in actual action.

RD'S Alias - 1A
07-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Inside crescents, outside crescents, front snap kicks, side kicks, front push kicks, spinning back kicks....All pretty standard long fist kicks.

Reply]
Yeah, especially the crescent kicks. Long Fist has lots of those.

Shaolinlueb
07-08-2007, 07:41 PM
... a huge arsenal of joint locks a throws, trips, uproots and take downs added?

And if you think that is the case, what current competitive fighters most closely show the fighting principals and strategies of Long Fist in action?

wtf are you talking about?

LeeCasebolt
07-09-2007, 07:51 AM
So, that being said if we were to create a venue where you could do Kick Boxing, but with the added throws and locks found throughout Long Fist, then we, in theory, should be able to site plenty examples of high level Long Fist in actual action.

Gosh, if only someone had set up a competitive venue that allowed both striking and grappling techniques! One that permitted those of any kung fu background to enter! But what would we call such an ambitious activity? It should indicate that the format mixes together many different arts in a martial competition, I think. Hmm...

Water Dragon
07-09-2007, 07:55 AM
I'm just waiting for Ross to get a whiff of this one...

RD'S Alias - 1A
07-09-2007, 07:59 AM
I'm just waiting for Ross to get a whiff of this one...

Reply]
ROLF!!! :D

lkfmdc
07-09-2007, 09:26 AM
Gosh, if only someone had set up a competitive venue that allowed both striking and grappling techniques! One that permitted those of any kung fu background to enter! But what would we call such an ambitious activity?

--- snoo ---

RD'S Alias - 1A
07-09-2007, 09:54 AM
All joking aside, what competitve fighters do you think show the strategies and fighting tactics most used by Long Fist fighters?

Mulong
07-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Pardon me Master Killer,

Honestly, have you seen the average northern fist style sets (baiquanshi taolu)? If so, you would see that norm is tantui (flicking leg) and cechuai (side-on tread); indeed, the xuanfeng (tornado wind) and the xuanzi (tornado center) are use, but not as often. Most likely, you are referring to advance sets (shangtaolu).

If time permitted I could have run through a list of lu (ways), to stress my point; however, it doesn't. Hence, it would be wrong to only view changquan for its tifa (kicking method), when over looking the other ranges, i.e., da (hitting), na (controlling) and shuai (throwing).

Pardon my ignorance.

RD'S Alias - 1A
08-05-2007, 09:25 PM
Who do you think is the best competitive ring fighter in Sanda, San Shou or Kuo Shou today?

Dragonzbane76
08-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Pardon me Master Killer,

Honestly, have you seen the average northern fist style sets (baiquanshi taolu)? If so, you would see that norm is tantui (flicking leg) and cechuai (side-on tread); indeed, the xuanfeng (tornado wind) and the xuanzi (tornado center) are use, but not as often. Most likely, you are referring to advance sets (shangtaolu).

If time permitted I could have run through a list of lu (ways), to stress my point; however, it doesn't. Hence, it would be wrong to only view changquan for its tifa (kicking method), when over looking the other ranges, i.e., da (hitting), na (controlling) and shuai (throwing).

Pardon my ignorance.

Sounds like someone needs a hug. :rolleyes:

boshea
08-06-2007, 12:21 AM
Who do you think is the best competitive ring fighter in Sanda, San Shou or Kuo Shou today?

I don't know who is the best in the world, but in the US Cung Le has been doing pretty well lately.