PDA

View Full Version : Some Lau Ga kuen applications

mok
07-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Some Lau Ga Kuen applications (open in a new browser)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFReL3rEuJY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiV7b4JgX8s

Mulong
07-11-2007, 08:42 AM
Curious, which lauh ga kyuhn (liujiaquan) is being referred to in those video blurs; the one practiced in England (which I gather is the one being demonstrated.) or the huhng ga kyuhn (hongjiaquan) one?

However, the techniques were clear; a good understanding of kahm nah (qinna) by the demonstrator. :)

mok
07-11-2007, 09:17 AM
Curious, which lauh ga kyuhn (liujiaquan) is being referred to in those video blurs; the one practiced in England (which I gather is the one being demonstrated.) or the huhng ga kyuhn (hongjiaquan) one?

However, the techniques were clear; a good understanding of kahm nah (qinna) by the demonstrator. :)

This is the one from Hung Ga kyun - if you listen to the vid, you'll hear him introduce the set. It is different than the one I'm used to, but some parts are recognizable.

Mulong
07-11-2007, 09:19 AM
I do apologize, I wasn't listening; however, it is very different from the lu (way/set) I know. ;)

Mano Mano
07-11-2007, 09:21 AM
Lau Gar my a$$, are more like techniques lifted straight from Rick Young’s trapping and locking DVD’s.

Mulong
07-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Is the demonstrator from England?

mok
07-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Mano Mano: I agree these are much more sophisticated (on a chin-na level) than your standard hung kuen applications. Clearly the instructor has a background in something else (gooseneck for example I have never seen anywhere in Hung Ga).

Whatever the influence, the instructor is mixing it into his hung kuen and is teaching that to his students. Is that really such a problem?

Asmo
07-11-2007, 12:02 PM
This Lau Ga very much resembles the Lau Ga we do in our specific Hung Gar lineage in the Netherlands. The deviation form the applications is another story though.

There are some differences though, but overall its more like 'our' lau gar instead of what I see in most other Hung Gar lineages.

Mano Mano
07-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Mulong
Is the demonstrator from England?
Judging by his accent, yes

mok
Mano Mano: I agree these are much more sophisticated (on a chin-na level) than your standard hung kuen applications. Clearly the instructor has a background in something else (gooseneck for example I have never seen anywhere in Hung Ga).

Whatever the influence, the instructor is mixing it into his hung kuen and is teaching that to his students. Is that really such a problem?
I would say the chin-na applications are not what you’d fined in southern systems in general. Most southern Kung fu chin na is basic, but still very effective. The lock flow looks very similar to one of Yang Jwing Ming’s lock flow sequences; however, I have seen another similar lock flow on Krishna Godhania’s FMA DVD’s on Pangamut.
The trapping used is on Rick Young’s trapping explained DVD and the joint locking from hubud is the type of exercise you find in Filipino martial arts, on Rick Young’s locks clinches, and controls DVD

TenTigers
07-11-2007, 01:45 PM
the trap off the jab is basic Southern Siu-Lum phon-sao, or trading hands, and has always been found within the short hand techniques of Hung Kuen. The gooseneck is a common cum-na technique. Nobody owns a technique. Basically, in cum-na sao faht, any joint will be twisted. If it doesn't bend that way-bend it(chaw-guat-misalign the bones). If it does bend that way, bend it more(fun-gun-divide the tendon).

Ben Gash
07-12-2007, 01:49 AM
I do fairly sophisticated Chin Na using Choy Li Fut (certainly more sophisticated than shown here).
Phil does Hung Kuen of the Lai Ng Sam line, but he also does Wing Chun and Kali, and has an extensive background in longfist and 7 stars mantis.

JE
07-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Does he have a website??

Thanks,
Justin