PDA

View Full Version : Clinching in Iraq-AFR

Black Jack II
07-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Published Iraq "after action report". It showcases a fight with an insurgent using upper body clinching and knee strikes.

Interesting read.

http://www.armytimes.com/legacy/new/0-ARMYPAPER-2329490.php

LeeCasebolt
07-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Everyone knows that there's no grappling in a Real Fight (tm). Also, being on the ground in war means being killed instantly. And you can't grapple weapons. This story is clearly false.

(Good work, Staff Sgt. McCully)

NJM
07-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Can't get any more real-life application than that. I wonder if the weight of his gear helped him control the insurgent.

PangQuan
07-12-2007, 04:30 PM
kind of lucky the insurgent went for butt checking him instead of unloading from a slight distance with his AK to finish the job like i would have....

Never the less, props. for sure.

Scott R. Brown
07-13-2007, 12:36 AM
Hmmm?? So was this a REAL fight then??? Where was all the grappling and arm bars and stuff like that???:confused:

Yum Cha
07-13-2007, 01:08 AM
Funny, Lee, you heard cinch and grapple, I heard uppercut and knee strike while holding onto his hair.

I also heard him getting up off the ground as quickly as possible.

But most of all, I heard a lot of chaos, and a young brave soldier doing his best to stay alive, carrying shrapnel in his leg after having been blowed up.

How those guys survived still amazes me. Total respect.

tattooedmonk
07-13-2007, 01:17 AM
That is intense
The thing that get me was the ten shots to the face!!!:eek:

sanjuro_ronin
07-13-2007, 04:30 AM
We fight how we train and if we train well, we will fight well, regardless of how we fight.
Close- Quarter combat is just that, close quarter, it envolves everything and thus, everything must be trained.
Logical that if there is a chance of clinching one must train the clinch, if there is a chance of ground fighting, one must train ground fighting.
Simple and logical.

msg
07-13-2007, 05:27 AM
the hell with fighting and any training just pull the triger on every thing and every one ..if i was over there i would not care because those people dont care about any thing .it would be man women or child ...i would survive

sanjuro_ronin
07-13-2007, 05:51 AM
the hell with fighting and any training just pull the triger on every thing and every one ..if i was over there i would not care because those people dont care about any thing .it would be man women or child ...i would survive

Seek Professional help.

SanHeChuan
07-13-2007, 02:24 PM
What I got was how the "new" iraqi millitary are sh!tbags. :rolleyes:

I can't remember the senator but he said he was talking to some of them, and they where all like "why can't america protect us?" :eek:

WTF you the iraqi millitary grab a pair a do it yourself. :mad:

LeeCasebolt
07-13-2007, 03:38 PM

I can't remember the senator but he said he was talking to some of them, and they where all like "why can't america protect us?" :eek:

WTF you the iraqi millitary grab a pair a do it yourself. :mad:

Well, there is the part where we wrecked their country and then disbanded their military.

LeeCasebolt
07-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Funny, Lee, you heard cinch and grapple, I heard uppercut and knee strike while holding onto his hair.

Well, yeah. That's what clinch fighting is. Hitting someone while holding them in an upright position.

I also heard him getting up off the ground as quickly as possible.

Sure. "Be able to fight on the ground" (standard MMA argument) is not the same as "Always fight on the ground" (standard mis-read of MMA argument).

But most of all, I heard a lot of chaos, and a young brave soldier doing his best to stay alive, carrying shrapnel in his leg after having been blowed up.

How those guys survived still amazes me. Total respect.

A-****ing-men.

Black Jack II
07-13-2007, 05:27 PM
Well, there is the part where we wrecked their country and then disbanded their military.

No, its that there military is incompetent, they are an ungratefull people, and in the end they don't want to be free. Japan and Germany and a number of other countries seemed to understand the concept coming out of a war.

Started out with great intentions but now you have to go with the old line about you can drag a horse to water but you can't make it drink if it does not want to.

Mr Punch
07-13-2007, 09:28 PM
the hell with fighting and any training just pull the triger on every thing and every one ..if i was over there i would not care because those people dont care about any thing .it would be man women or child ...i would surviveWell said from the safety of Australia and a fantasy BS existance. Take it you still get plenty of John Wayne films on cable over there?

WTF you the iraqi millitary grab a pair a do it yourself. :mad:Good point.

Well, there is the part where we wrecked their country and then disbanded their military.Good point.

No, its that there military is incompetent,True. Who trained them? Oh, it was the allies. Saddam did a better job of training the military, which just goes to show without some kind of political lead (however repugnant) there's going to be no cohesive training in the military. They need something to fight for. Fighting for your family isn't enough either: they're being asked to sacrifice more than regular civilians in Iraq, and fighting for the good of the country is too nebulous a concept when there are so many opinions of how that country should go. We need to set up a new dictator and get the **** out again, just like we've been doing in the middle east everywhere for the last hundred years.
they are an ungratefull people, and in the end they don't want to be free. Japan and Germany and a number of other countries seemed to understand the concept coming out of a war.Silly point. They are different to Japan and Germany, as a people, and the situation is different, and the historical context is different. Basically, you are saying how silly it is they don't recognize your American (allied) concept of gratefulness when all they've seen first hand of American involvement is death. I'm not saying I agree with them: Saddam was of course worse, but we set him up too, so the older generation don't have any fond memories of our involvement either, and the aftermath of the Gulf War doesn't do us any favours either... and yes, they should take responsibility, but the fact was, they were never a nation until we made them one: they were a collection of mostly warring tribes, so what are they going to take responsibilty for?

SanHeChuan
07-13-2007, 11:07 PM
Also, most of them are just there for the money. Sadly it's one of the few "well" paying steady jobs available.

My problem is this, They are saying that we just need to train enough Iraqi troops before we can make a military withdraw, but every Iraqi wouldn't be enough. The US trains them for 3 weeks I think, The Marines basic training is 3 months. 4 If you could Marine combat training.

I was over there and I'm for the cause, even if it means I'll have to go back.
I am all for staying until the job is done, but we need to ween them soon, if we want them to be effective.
We are doing way too much FOR them, which is not really HELPING them do it on their own.

They need something to fight for.

If we stop doing all the hard stuff for them they should realize that if they don't shape up they are going to die. Thats enough motivation right there, fighting for you buddy can be some strong motivation too. At least then they will be getting each other killed, instead us. If they had done half of what they should have those two soldiers wouldn't have gotten their purple hearts umpteenth award.

We need to set up a new dictator and get the **** out again, just like we've been doing in the middle east everywhere for the last hundred years.

That's the easy way out, instant gratification. We will have stability (for a while), but no good will. If that's even possible anymore.

While is wasn't our foreign policy perse that created these Islamic extremist terrorist, I believe that our foreign policy is why they have been able to recruit so well.

Iran (The key to the Middle east) is still ****ed at us for the last guy we put in charge there.