PDA

View Full Version : Who has the power?

Daedalus
02-27-2001, 11:36 PM
I have been studying JKD for about 3 years now, and am still confused as to who is authorized to teach JKD and who is not. I understand that the Lee family has authorized some people to teach official Jun Fan/JKD while others (supposedly unauthorized) teach JKD (concepts?) without having ever trained with Lee or any of his students.

I think that Bruce Lee's original intent was not to create a style, but rather to present a universal concept that could be used to improve one's martial arts training regardless of style. So why is there so much controversy over who is authorized to teach and who is not? :confused:

Paul Sharp
02-28-2001, 03:47 AM
Ego

-Paul Sharp

Certificates don't count, Performance does...

RAYNYSC
02-28-2001, 03:19 PM
I think it's a little more then just ego, but for the most part I agree that ego does play a big part in this.

RAYNYSC

Demi @ CSPT
02-28-2001, 04:31 PM
It's a money game and an ego game. Here's the way I see it...

Bruce Lee wrote that Jeet Kune Do “is not to hurt, but is one of the avenues through which life opens it’s secrets to us.” Lee also wrote “Do not be concerned with escaping safely! Let him smash your flesh, and you fracture his bone. Let him fracture your bone, and you take his life. Lay your life before him.” Can these two statments exsist at the same time within the conceptual framework of JKD? Of course they can. JKD was a vehicle used for self discovery. What is it we are talking about? Is it Bruce Lee's JKD? No, because I don't care what rock you look under or what closet you peek into it's not gonna be there...!!! We are talking about my JKD and your JKD. JKD can't be owned, can't be organized, can't be taught and it can't be sold. JKD is a process, not a product. It is the individuals experience and growth that "is" JKD, that's what gives it life. There is no boss, no one in charge. There are only those who "train" and share thier experience with others. JKD is also about “self preservation” and “best options” in combat. This is where my primary focus is. It’s not all philosophical, when practiced intelligently it produces results. Understand this however, it is what it is... Circle with no circumfrence?!? Repose in the nothing?!? Diluting JKD?!? Adding other arts?!? There is just totality in combat or there is'nt!!!

People say there is only dark or light but Bruce taught us that there are so many shades of gray... There are no limitations... There is no way... There is no JKD...

Even while Bruce was alive there was never a time when he himself could have put
JKD into a little box and gave it to you as a present... It was always alive and growing just as he was...

Demitrius Barbito
...out of the wilderness and into the promised land...

www.DemiBarbito.com (http://www.DemiBarbito.com)

Paul Sharp
02-28-2001, 05:28 PM
How can it be more than Ego?

Everything else is just a symptom of Ego.

We have to ask what drives a man to pursue money? A desire for superiority or power or simply security. Where does this drive come from? Ego.

What would cause a man to tell his "students", don't train with so and so, if you do you can't train here any longer? Fear. What causes fear? Ego.

Personal example. I have had to ask myself, what causes me to fear tapping? Fear of pain? Nope, submissions don't really hurt if you tap. Fear of humiliation from losing? Yup. What drives that fear? My Ego.

What holds us back and stunts our growth? Ego.

"So why is there so much controversy over who is authorized to teach and who is not?"

Simply, Ego. No more, no less.

-Paul Sharp

www.straightblastgymillinois.com (http://www.straightblastgymillinois.com)

Certificates don't count, Performance does...

RAYNYSC
03-05-2001, 06:04 AM
As far as holding anyone back & stunting one's growth?... Ego plays no real part in it until after the fact(meaning that you have to be good enough at something to say that you can use what ever it is you say you can use)plain & simple...

The way I see it, it's the lack of ambition & or desire that one has that stunts one's growth not ego... & as far as fear go's fear comes from the lack of confidence within one's abilitie not one's ego...

Now as for saying what causes a teacher to tell a student don't study with this guy or that guy because if you do you no longer can study here or with me isn't just about ego, that falls under the line's of envy & or the distrust they may have with one another...

Thats the sad part about it most of the time all it really is, is a miss understanding of how we see things... But hey if thats the way you feel about ego who's to say your wrong more power to you...

All I'm saying is like I said before I think it's a little more then just ego....

RAYNYSC